Software
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_over

72 inch space - what size vanity to install?

7 years ago

I have a space that is exactly 72 inches wide. I know that a standard size vanity is exactly 72 inches as well. Would you risk installing a 72 in vanity in a space that is 72 inches, or will that not work? The current vanity that is there is built in and ugly from the 90s and we want to replace it with a freestanding vanity.

Comments (11)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    actually the vanities are about 70-71". the overhang from the countertop makes it 72". you could have your countertop cut a little shorter, or flush w/the vanity base.

    find a vanity with no countertop and verify the measurement. then have your own countertop cut to fit.

    You could also notch out a bit of the drywall if it's tight.

    Or, have a custom cabinet built for you




  • PRO
    7 years ago
    I don't see it happening unless it is custom, safely you could do a 5' and have enough excess on the ends that you don't risk showing an out of square corner.
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Matt brings up a good suggestion. if you do the 60" vanity, just continue the countertop to span the rest of the distance. use it as a make up area, or do cubby hole/towel storage underneath.

    Or go vertical w/the extra space


    (measure your 6' vanity base though. I think you'll be surprised. )

  • 7 years ago

    It's easier to buy cabinets as components and put them together. I forget the space I had but I have 5 separate cabinets in our vanity area.


  • 7 years ago
    Either way it is easy to work with smaller cabinets than a 72" one. They could cut the drywall out on the sides if it won't fit....Hey, I am just trying to help........
  • 7 years ago
    The ‘72’ vanity I bought from room and board is only 70.5” wide so I think that would be perfect with counter overhang
  • 7 years ago

    How could you tell if it's going to be less than 72 inches though without physically seeing it? a lot of websites don't specify and just say a vanity is 72 inches.


    Do you think just using the existing vanity and getting a new counter top, hardware, sinks etc. would be more cost effective, since it's already custom and built for the space?

  • 7 years ago

    Whatever you are buying even online should list dimensions and specifications - it wasn't a surprise I knew I was buying a 70.5" wide dress

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    The best way is to get the cabinets made for the space then order the counter top. By the time you playaround with ordering on line and returning stuff you could just do custom. BTW to go 60” is going to look bad since the spaces on either side are not large enough to look useful so it will always look like you couldn’t afford the right piece.

  • 7 years ago
    No Patricia, ordering online is easy, convinent, and faster than having a cabinet built custom. And I am sure the OP won't make it look "cheap". And good luck finding a guy to build one cabinet. Post a picture when you are done, Brit.