Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fancyface13

Self Designed New Build update...

jen ukutegbe
5 years ago

Thank you to all that have provided positive feedback in helping my new home become what I had hoped. The kitchen design was inquired upon a year-and-a-half ago on Houzz with much skepticism because I had not hired a KD. Most input was positive and those, I took an ear to. I'm excited to post photos as it progresses until our move-in guestimate of 4/1. Today the painter arrived, then all the fun 'jewelry' thereafter.

This site has been educational in helping me do what first seemed undoable for an amateur like myself, to 100% design from scratch our dream home and GC it. I need to be in charge of every detail along this journey and I have to say...it's fun! My builder is amazing and I used most of his suggested subs. I've stayed on (even under) budget, and working with the subs (both ones I've chosen and those suggested) have been wonderful. The relationship is rewarding, as landscaper took a cut huge pine and surprised me with 2 beautiful fireplace mantled, free of charge. My plumber surprised me with designing and welding, on his own doing, a heavy cabinet in which to house a unique 100 yr old farm utility sink for our mud/laundry room. Maybe the hot cocoa and donut runs during bone chilling -20 below weather helps. I plan on throwing an 'appreciation party' for all laborers and wives after with drinks, food, them able to further network and see their finished results. I'm fair, try to be kind, but kept them on task!

The kitchen has been my baby, and many on here offered advice to better function and I thank you. It can be done, but you really need to take initiative to help yourself. In end, it's proving to be rewarding. I will post before and Afters soon, below is the slightly naive 1st draft of kitchen ending with last. I spent only $800 on architect drawings (also did most myself), and surprisingly, no big oopsies.

Comments (8)