Software
Houzz Logo Print
alishia_howard

Kitchen Design Help

7 years ago
This is my second post on this and this time I have some measurements to include counter measurements done by Home Depot.

We recently purchased a home that needs some updating. We’ve opened up the wall between the kitchen and family rooms and removed a set of stairs that led down into the kitchen(not sure what to do with this empty space now but I hated the stairs in the kitchen).

We’re doing white cabinets, brushed nickel hardware, and Chesapeake Blue granite. The kitchen is 14x14 and our budget is $40-45k.

Comments (16)

  • 7 years ago

    You relocated your staircase? Can we see a more zoomed out pic of the space?

  • 7 years ago
    @Claire, no we did not move the stairs ( it was far too expensive), we removed the back portion of it that had steps into the kitchen. You could get up and down the stairs from the foyer or from the kitchen. We removed the five or six stairs that went into the kitchen to open up the wall between the kitchen and family rooms. I didn’t like them in the kitchen either.

    I included a picture of what it looked like before (last picture).
  • 7 years ago

    What is the room next to the fridge?

  • 7 years ago
    @Claire, it’s a hallway that has the laundry room, pantry door to the garage and 2nd master bedroom and bathroom.
  • 7 years ago

    What is the dimension between the end of bay window wall to the opposite wall?

  • 7 years ago
    @Claire, it’s 161 inches from the center of the bay window area and 217 inches from the end of the bay window area closest to the kitchen cabinets to the adjacent wall (where the desk currently is
  • 7 years ago

    The worst place to put the sink is in the corner like that. If you haven't bought the cabinets yet, I highly suggest you redo the layout to make it more functional. It's not as you have it.

  • 7 years ago

    I know cpartist I don’t like them either. Are you making anymore structural changes to the home? What does the foyer look like?

  • 7 years ago
    1. Corner sinks are awkward. I’d reconsider that.

    2. Microwave ovens over stove tops are scary. You’re raising hot liquids over your head. One tip, one wobble, and goodbye face. You seem to have room for a microwave beneath the island counter. I’d give that a shot.
  • 7 years ago

    I agree with the above comments and would not put the sink in the corner. More functional to square off that corner and shift the sink to the right or left (and possibly move the cooktop). It would be helpful if you had the surrounding walls marked on your floor plan. Also, what is the distance you are planning between the island and counter? The new wall (where the staircase had been) would be great for a long narrow buffet or built in with lots of storage so perhaps you would not need all the upper cabinets planned? Suggest you draw the layout on graph paper so you can really see the flow since these sketches are not to scale.

  • 7 years ago

    HI -- I hope you haven't already ordered the cabinets because I see some huge mistakes with your design. Never have any part of the kitchen angled into a corner . It makes for awkward wasted space . Also over the stove micro's are a hazard . I am not liking the whole kitchen plan. I think the kitchen should be re-located to the family room area ... that would work much better . think about it . Hire a certified kitchen designer and not just a sales person.








  • 7 years ago
    We have not ordered any of the materials for the kitchen yet, still in the planning phase.
  • 7 years ago
    We have not ordered any of the materials for the kitchen yet, still in the planning phase.
  • 7 years ago
    @Claire, here’s a picture of the foyer.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    So many issues with that design, but then again that's why you don't get a kitchen design from HD.


    Lose the desk, it's wasting precious space and will just become a clutter zone. Move the fridge there (replace with a counter depth) and install a pantry if there is extra space there. Get that sink out of the corner and put it on the wall where the fridge was.