Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srosenberger

Repose Gray for walls & ceiling-new construction

Sara
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I know there are a lot of write ups for this dilemma, but I was hoping to get feed back with our finishes. We are building a new house and really want to stick within our budget for the interior paint. The budget includes Sherwin Williams paint – one color of all the walls and ceiling, and one trim color. We were thinking of using SW Repose Gray but when we painted samples on the walls, it looks too dark and maybe it is not a good match to our cabinet color. We also put up some SW Drift of Mist but that might be too light. Maybe we need to paint larger areas. Any advice for both the wall/ceiling color and the trim color would be much appreciated as we need to decide by this time next week.

Our house has 9 foot ceilings on both floors, a lot of windows and the back of the house is a kitchen/living room. We also have the same color wood cabinets through the house.

Thank you!

Repose Gray of the left and Drift of Mist just to the right

Repose Gray of the left and Drift of Mist just to the right

Quartz counter, cabinet and floor samples

Comments (24)

• Sara
    Original Author
    5 years ago

When I go to edit this, it says page not found so this is a test.

• houssaon
    5 years ago

I see it. I like the darker gray with the wood. In general, I like gray with wood.

Sara thanked houssaon
  • R. C.
    5 years ago

Samplize was recommended to me for choosing paint colors and it was hugely helpful. You get actual paint samples that you can stick on your wall and move around. 12"x12" for ~$5.

I have a similar floor color and we have SW Passive on the walls. Not too dark or too light.

Sara thanked R. C.
  • Sara
    Original Author
    5 years ago

R.C. Thank you for the Samplize and Passive suggestion. I don't think I have time to order the Samplize but I'm going to pick up some Passive and see how that compares. Thanks again!

• Sara
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Calidesign Yes, ceiling and walls the same color. I hear it is standard now. The fireplace wall will be gray tile. I'll try to find and post a pic of that in case it helps narrow down possible neutral that would look good. Do you think warm whites look better with our cabinets and floor color? Do you have SW colors you would suggest?

• Sara
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The fireplace wall will be gray tile with a wood beam mantel.

• chrissiec1
    5 years ago

It looks like you have sprayed ceilings. I would not paint them the same color as the walls.

Sara thanked chrissiec1
  • Sandra Grimsley
    5 years ago
    Hi Sara. I have drift of mist painted in every room in a 1700 sq ft renovation project we are just finishing up. I wanted it as light and bright as possible without using white, or some shade of white. The ceiling are 8 ft and each room with just one window...some, single, double and a triple. Open concept floor plan. It looks really good, however, it looks different in every room and different all during the day and night. I don’t have any window coverings, no carpet and paper still down on the hardwoods, but here are a few pictures. The shiplap wall is not DOM, but my trim color. Excuses the carpet samples, but feel free to pick your favorite...lol. I am familiar with Repose gray and if you think it is too dark from the sample it probably is. I’d go with the DOM based in that comment and the pictures of your cabinets.
    Sara thanked Sandra Grimsley
  • Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    5 years ago

It all comes down to what lightbulbs you plan on using.

simple!

Sara thanked Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
  • Sara
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Sandra! Your place is beautiful. The DOM doesn't seem too light at all. I was worried it would blend in with the trim but it still pops. I'm out of town until late tonight but I'm hoping my husband goes over and paints some Passive samples. Whatever we go with, I'll post details and pics when done. I just want to be done and move in. :)

• cat_ky
    5 years ago

If they will only do one color, have everything painted white. Once you are moved in, you can paint the walls a different color little by little, since ceiling will already be painted. I just do not understand, why they dont spray all the ceilings white, and then paint the walls. in one color throughout. Thats standard procedure most places.

Sara thanked cat_ky
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I agree just white with the same color trim in a satin and then decide on paint colors . I like grayed greens with wood much better than most grays Opaline is one you might want to test I also love sea salt but cut about 25%

Sara thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Sandra Grimsley
    5 years ago
    Oh Sara I understand! And thank you! We are moving furniture the 31st of this month. We were about two weeks away from finishing in October and the property got hit by hurricane Micheal. It has been a long process and don’t know exactly why, but even before the storm
    hit we were months into a project that should have only taken a few. I’m just so tired of having to make a decision...exhausting all the time. Please share your pictures.
  • Sandra Grimsley
    5 years ago
    And by the way Sara my trim color
    Is origami white.
  • imhofan
    5 years ago

Agree-- Repose Grey is too dark, I'm not a fan on the green I pick up on my screen w/your warm, beautiful wood.

Drift of Mist would be my choice of your options. It looks nice w/your stone/island/floor. I would consider the trim as well as any carpeting, furniture. A warmer non grey neutral may be good option.

Do NOT paint your ceiling the same as your walls; I'd clarify w/your contractor as most often walls are separate from a sprayed ceiling.

FYI: Darker paint tones are sometimes more costly w/builds.

Be aware of the finish you sample as opposed to the finish your builder will be using. Most often flat. May be worthwhile upgrading to matte/washable.

Sara thanked imhofan
  • zimmer
    5 years ago
    Ask the painters if they could cut the ceiling colour (mist) by 25%. Then use the full strength mist on the walls. I would personally stay away from the darker grey as once all the walls and ceilings were painted it would feel way to dark. Different if you had 12 foot ceilings with huge windows everywhere. Plus it’s easier to cover up a light colour then a dark, if you feel it’s too light once you move in.
    Sara thanked zimmer
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago

Drift of Mist is pretty, and anything much darker, especially if the ceiling is painted the same color, would be depressing and difficult to decorate around. The lightest color on a paint strip is generally the best way to go since colors always look darker when they're painted over a large area.

Sara thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Sara
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you everyone for responding! Update:

• We are going to go pay more to have the ceiling painted a different color. Thank you for providing the encouragement to make that upgrade. As long as we like the 3 colors we choose (walls, ceiling, and trim), we'll be able to relax in our new home without feeling like we need to start painting right away. We need a break from making house decisions.
    • We were surprised by the heavy ceiling texture. I actually called my husband and the builder in a panic when I saw it but it was too late. We were asked if we were okay with orange peel texture and were told that is what most people get so we said ok without looking into it. Is there something we should keep in mind when choosing paint if we want to down-play the texture?
    • We are getting more samples and I will post again, either once we are done (I can dream) or if I need your help again. The list so far has 16 new colors to consider. :-)
    1. Passive 7064
    2. Worldly Gray 7043
    3. Mindful Gray 7016
    4. Modern Gray 7632
    5. Snowbound 7004
    6. City Loft 7631
    7. Heron Plume 6070
    8. Origami White 7636
    9. Popular Gray 6071
    10. Spare White 6203
    11. Extra White 7006
    12. High Reflective White 7757
    13. Ceiling Bright White 7007
    14. Eider White 7014
    15. Incredible White 7028
    16. Big Chill 7648

Thank you again!

Sara

• zimmer
    5 years ago
    Ok so orange peel is a spray pattern used to mask any ripples or seams in the drywall. A flatter texture takes more work on the dry wallers part. Go for a clean crisp flat or eggshell white so it doesn’t look dingy or cast shadows from the texture. That way your wall colour will pop.
    Sara thanked zimmer
  • calidesign
    5 years ago

I would stick to a plain bright white for the ceiling (in matte finish) and trim (eggshell finish), and then choose a very light neutral color for the walls - maybe the Origami White you were thinking of. Or look at Spare White for the walls if you like the hint of green, pared with Pure White for the ceiling and trim. Then after you're in, with all your furniture and lighting, you can always go back and add more color in certain rooms if necessary.

Sara thanked calidesign
  • Sara
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    We went with Big Chill SW 7648 for the walls and Extra White SW 7006 for the ceiling and trim. We think it looks great. Now for window treatments.

Thank you all for your help!

Sara
  • gduplessis
    4 years ago

Great paint choice. It goes beautifully with your cabinets.

• Sara
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! We were pretty worried we were going to mess it up. :) They just pulled up the paper so here's a couple pics with the floor showing.