0

Planted roses in double rows?

Not sure if this is what you call it, but I’d like to plant my climbers along the fence, and then plant shorter roses in front of that. Any tips for doing this? I was thinking I’d try to stagger the rootzones. I’m assuming I need space to maneuver around them, so thinking of leaving a gap between every pair of bushes? Any other thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Thank you!! :-)

• K S 8b Seattle

Your post reminded me of an article by Paul Zimmerman about layering three layers of roses in a project he worked on (ramblers, climbers, and shrubs). https://www.finegardening.com/article/creating-a-new-garden-grown-around-roses-part-1

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked K S 8b Seattle
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Great article, KS! That’s kind of what I was thinking for my ramblers. Planting continuous bloomers in front of the once bloomers. Thank you!

Does anyone have recommendations about spacing? Thank you in advance. :-)

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    Perma, I love this thread Bec I had almost the same idea too. Lisa and I talk about it but I am taking my sweet time as I have so many projects going on plus work.
    I also have a few old post in the ground that I never removed thinking of putting short climbers there in btw my teas. And back against the new fence will be climbers but it is only a vision and I have not started yet cause I have to do my left and right side replacing the fence. Still work in progress .
    jin
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • Rosefolly

It sounds lovely to me. Do make sure to allow room to get between the rows to prune and otherwise tend the plants, perhaps even a row of stepping stones.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Rosefolly
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    I have to re-read your paragraph again. That is a great question. I never thought about that except to give 7 feet apart from one rose bushes to another bush some had more.
    Never occurred to me from fence to bush . Great question. Now, I don't know how much of space I left ..?? Oops !!
    jin
    .
  • HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    That article is a great idea for a wall of roses. I think mixing them is a good way to have interest regularly. Where I am I could plant a bunch of roses close together because of winter dieback; pruning is done mostly by nature. Whereas, in your climate you need enough space for regular maintenance & you don't want the spacing big enough to look like gaps. How many plants are you looking at? Length & width of area? I would plant them alternately vs. in front of each other (like a diamond pattern vs a square), if you get what I'm saying.
    Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I made two figure 8 flowerbeds last year so they are planted 2 deep except the very middle. The very ends are 3 deep but tgey arent spaced 7ft apart. They will have to be cut back and maintained. They are kinda staggered not in exactly straight rows. There are smaller companion type plants in there as well. I know I will be moving in a yr or two, so they will all get dug up anyways.

I did another one on the side of my veggie garden where it wouldnt shade out anything. Along the fence are taller roses, then shorter ones in the front.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • jerijen

Just make sure you really know how big the roses in question will be, when mature.

In a public garden we visited some while ago, they had planted a double row of Austin Shrub Roses ... but the back-row plants matured at 2-ft or so, and the front-row plants at about 5-ft.

It was pathetic.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked jerijen
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I wish I knew how big my roses were going to get.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • seil zone 6b MI

I love this idea! I just wish I had a fence line I could do it on. Pictures when it's done, please!

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Exactly, Sheila! I have a number of “just try and see” roses that I have no idea if they’ll even like FL.

So far I’ve put the known biggies, like Lamarque, Solfaterre, Brightside Cream, & Le Pactole on the fence. I think my plan will be to put my big ole OGRs on the fence and put the DAs/Kordes in front of them. That’s today’s plan, anyway, lol. I’ll post some pics when I go back out there. :-)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Jeri, they were probably going by the stated sizes in the Austin Catalog! lol

• jerijen

Sultry -- Yes. They absolutely were -- as this was some years ago.

Perma n’ Posies/9A FL thanked jerijen