0
lindsay_saewitz

Sticky caulk - normal?

Lindsay Saewitz

Hi again! Everyone was so helpful with the grout issue - I got another one for you!

Today was the first time I attempted to clean my new bathroom floor (full gut remodel completed earlier this year). While the tile was easy to sweep, I noticed that dust was sticking to the caulk along where the floor meets the wall, and where the toilet meets the floor.

This doesn't seem normal to me...I don't recall other bathrooms where I've lived doing this, but I've also never completed a remodel before.

The caulk itself seems sticky and it makes sense why dust would stick to it....but obviously I'd prefer that it didn't!

Is this normal?

If yes, what's the best way to clean it?

if not, what's the solution?

Thank you!

Photos:

• kudzu9

Not normal. Bathroom caulking -- typically silicone -- should have pretty much cured in the first 24 hours. If it's sticky, it could have been old or a bad batch. Or there is something that got on it, like stain for woodwork. Is this problem everywhere, or in one particular location? Also, do you know what particular type of caulk was used?

• Lindsay Saewitz

The caulk that was used is Dap Dynaflex according to my contractor.

I do not believe anything got on it.

not sure where else to Look but the issue is occurring in two places that I’ve noticed - along where the wall meets the floor and where the toilet meets the floor.

• kudzu9

Well, DAP Dynaflex is not the product I would have chosen. It is typically a paintable, latex caulk which is mainly used outdoors, although it can be used indoors on trim, etc. For bathrooms, one typically uses 100% silicone. If you Google online, you can see that DAP Dynaflex gets fairly good reviews, but some people report problems with it curing properly. If you have men in the house and the stickiness is mainly around the toilet, it could be that their aim is not great and the ammonia in any urine that drips down the outside of the toilet is chemically reacting with the latex caulk. If this stickiness issue continues, you could always use a sharp razor blade to cut out the latex caulk, and re-caulk with silicone.

• Lindsay Saewitz

Which product would you recommend?

If I leave it there (and somehow clean off all the dirt/dust), would painting it help?

No men in the house. The remodel was complete about a month ago, and in that time I've been out of town twice, so the bathroom hasn't been used all that much.

• kudzu9

The type of caulk you have is paint-able, and painting it would likely eliminate the stickiness...but, if it is going to get scrubbed once in a while, the paint could begin to flake off. I would either live with it as is, or have it cut out and then re-caulk the seam with any brand name 100% silicone caulk; I prefer GE or DAP brands.

• tqtqtbw

Go ahead and recaulk. Caulk is cheap and nice clean caulk will make life easier when you go to clean that area.