Your shopping cart is empty.
designnewbie44

Driveway Drainage Help Needed - Install a Drain?

Design Newbie44
April 17, 2019

This is the original driveway installed when the house was built 30 years ago. Time to replace it. Time has caused the pitch at the top of the driveway to leave us with a pool in summer and ice rink in winter. At the base of the driveway we have issues with pitch combined with a poorly installed road by the town. Every house on our block has standing water at their driveway skirt and in front of their house when it rains.

Question - would you install a drain at the base of the driveway where the skirt meets the road to collect this water?

One guy who gave us an estimate said he would rip up part of the road and push the water further down the street - unfortunately, that would simply move the pool of water to directly in front of our home. We just want to get rid of it!

Solutions welcome!

Comments (8)

• tatts

First, get the town to fix the drainage in the street.

Then, when they do that, you and your neighbors can re-do the ends of your driveways.

Where would the water go if you put in a drain? What if there's more water? Those are issues for your town's streets department to fix. They have to get the water flowing down the street.

• Izzy Mn

Wouldn't take much to install a rain garden to the right or even the left of your driveway. In fact possibly the perfect spot for one. Then the excess water will soak into the ground and replenish the aquifer, eventually. There is a neighborhood near me that the city actually installed small curb side rain gardens, with the homeowners blessings and at their request in their yards, about 6'x6'. They could put their names on a list if they wanted to have one and city decided what areas it would best work and choose who would get one from list. There are still storm sewers but it lessons the amount of runoff into our streams and rivers, less flooding and pollution into rivers. I live in the a Mississippi watershed area and there has been a lot of changes on how runoff is handled in the past 10 years or so.

There is a bunch of information online about rain gardens.

Here is one.https://www.epa.gov/soakuptherain/soak-rain-rain-gardens

It certainly would be less expensive than ripping up streets, city probably won't let you do that anyway. Maybe you could get your neighbors to also install some once you have one!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER

A new drive, with a properly prepared bed, and a channel drain at your garage, and at the foot of the driveway.

Then a petiton to the town, for adequate street drainage................and good luck with that.

• millworkman

Issue with putting a drain at th end of the property on my mind is most of the water appears to collecting at the road way. Say you put in a drain and then the town decides to properly fix the grading of the road? Will your drain still be effective or will it be a waste of money and need to be redone?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner

The water is not reaching the storm sewer if there is one. If there is not one, then this is where a driveway culvert has to be installed to get the water off the street. In either case the first step is to address this with the local municipality.

• suedonim75

I don't think that the municipality that you live in would be okay with the contractor digging up part of the road.

• Sharon Perkins

Oh boy, shades of our last house. The street was slightly higher than our driveway, and everything pooled in the driveway whenever we had a heavy rain. The winter was even worse; it would freeze if it got cold after a rain. Fun times. We put a drain in that drained into our sloped back yard and down to the lake. . It was an absolute pain to keep free ofleaves and pine needles, which abounded on our property. You had to lift the grate, stick your hand in and pull out the muck to keep it draining. We were the only house in the street with such weird grading.

I talked to the people who had lived there 30 years before at one point and they said they just gave up on walking on the driveway in bad weather and cut across the lawn instead. I explained in great detail to the people who bought our house how important it was to keep the darn thing clear. They have more money than we did, so maybe they’ll find a better solution.

• Izzy Mn

I would check with your city to see if there will be any improvements to your street in the future, they can take years. A street in my area was on the books for improvement for 20 years improvement plan. They finally installed concrete curbs and improved drainage and redid road and road bed that was 50 years old a few years ago.

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).