Software
Houzz Logo Print
beatrice_davis

Decor for etagere

7 years ago
I’m setting up these shelving units in my living room. Not sure if my design is ok. Do I need less pieces or more variety?

Comments (12)

  • 7 years ago
    I like the color combo, but I think it would look better with some smaller pieces in place of some of the larger pieces.
  • 7 years ago

    Looks good. I would like to see the rest of the room.

  • 7 years ago

    I agree with tatts 100%. These items look completely staged...like a model home inhabited by nobody. Also look like a dusting nightmare...how about a piece of art for this wall?

  • 7 years ago
    Too impersonal and regimented for me. It needs more of you, your personality, your life, and less balance and repetition of perfectly compatible but not very interesting objects.

    Sorry if this sounds harsh - you have an eye for color and composition, but you really need to let loose a bit and throw in some quirky and unexpected pieces and colors.
  • 7 years ago
    Love the colours but half the volume and scatter the other half around the house so it ties it all up
  • 7 years ago
    Well, we like what we like. There’s nothing wrong with your items, but Tatts is right, there’s nothing of your family or history there, so it looks like a store display. Silver framed photos would help, as would something from nature, like shells, or branches. You have great taste, you just need to "think outside the box" for this.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Looks like a store display either get rid of them or at least find items that don’t match for each one IMO hanging a great piece of art on that wall would be a huge improvement.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I would prefer just one etagere but if you keep both I would replace several of the objects with something less “matchy-matchy “ ... for example, the two masks, two taller cylinders, the shorter matching hurricanes (?) etc. I would take one of each out & replace with something different, coral or shells as teamaltese suggested, maybe stack books, play with it & leave some of it empty until you find something you really like.

  • 7 years ago

    I notice some pieces still have the tags...return what you can and shop in your home. There must be some book, artifacts, or treasure from trips you have taken. Don’t pick something because it matches, pick something you love. Check out art fairs, antique shops and consignment stores for interesting items. I feel for you, as I can see how you picked out items with a theme, but I too thought I was looking at shelves from Home Goods. Take your time, you will find your passion!

  • 7 years ago

    Yes, please, find items that bring you joy and make it interesting for us to view.

  • 7 years ago

    In addition to art fairs (yay!), go to your art museum's gift shop (or archeology museum or science museum or...). They don't just have books and reproductions.

    Return all that you can. One or two quality pieces are worth far, far more than 20 from a décor store.