0
melaniedaniels

How can I get kerb appeal?

melaniedaniels
April 22, 2019

Hi I have been living in this late 70's brick family home for 13 years and I really want to change the facade and make it look edgy and modern. I'm thinking of changing the flat front brick wall to a stone stack feature and making the front entrance to the left more prominent with a merbau deck to replace the old tired slate floor and match the front fence.

I think I will remove the rendered column in front of the wall & the pergola as I think that just looks out of place.I really want to make the front entrance more appealing and visible as the door is hidden at the back of the entry.

I have a low budget so I'm trying to achieve this look under $10K if that is possible. any ideas please?

JAN MOYER

Not possible to get that particular curb view for under 10 k : ) But losing the trash cans to somewhere else would help, as would a cut back in oversized landscaping. Consider painting the house, including the brick.

melaniedaniels thanked JAN MOYER
  • emmarene9

From the little I can see the house is well designed. I don't care for the paint colors but that could just be on my screen.

I can see you have bad landscaping.

I can't see the tired old slate so I won't comment on that.

Stacked stone is a trend that is over so I would not call it edgy and modern.

What would really help people advise you would be more pictures taken from further away.

melaniedaniels thanked emmarene9
  • arcy_gw

What trash cans Jan? ugg

I like the pergola, I would NEVER swap for anything higher maintenance as in wood vs slate. Painting brick--another no no as far as adding maintenance to what isn't. I agree more pics from other angles and back farther. I am betting that is difficult with the fence--a front fence feels contrary to WELCOME at the entrance IMHO.

melaniedaniels thanked arcy_gw
  • altadavey
    Is this your forever home? I’d spend $ on professional help and complete things in phases as I could afford. It looks like a cool house! Good luck.
    melaniedaniels thanked altadavey
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader

Stack stone is going to take you close to if not over your $10K budget fairly quickly. Other options include covering the area above the window with a horizontal stained wood, similar in color to the fence, putting in a similarly stained garage door, painting the the windows a dark black, repainting the trim, stucco and wood a color that works better with the brick.

If you're interested in seeing some virtual makeovers of your home check my web site, Creative Visual Concepts.

As of now the dark garage door draws too much attention to that area and the stucco and trim color really doesn't do much with the brick.

melaniedaniels thanked Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • skunst2017
    I would just paint the entire house a light eggshell and then look again . It has a modern feel ..and design ..except for the brick ...so just paint it a light color and perhaps change the front door ...maybe a large Steele door handle and plant some wonderful tall grasses ...small changes ......are all what is needed ....!
    melaniedaniels thanked skunst2017
  • skunst2017
    Do you need the basketball hoop in the front ?
    melaniedaniels thanked skunst2017

IMo stacked stone would be a bad choice and certainly would not make the house look more modern. This is a modern house , fix the landscaping and leave the rest alone. The entry is what it is and the pergola is well designed to go with the house. Add some plantings leading to the entry google some MCM landscaping it would totally suit the house.

melaniedaniels thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
    Flo Mangan

The first thing that hits me wrong is the "picket" style fencing. I would tackle that first. Use linear wide board to widen and change the front view. Remove old plant material and get lower, drought resistant type plants. Paint the fence darker gray like the vertical piece on the house. Don't mess with the structural elements of the house. Costs too much and can be a slippery slope. Then repaint the painted portions of the house with grays. Step back and see then if you want to paint or stain the brick. I suspect the fence change alone will be great enhancement.

melaniedaniels thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan
    Melanie. Here are some linear looks with cedar and grays.
    melaniedaniels thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan
    Running to meeting but here is very rough mock up. Change garage doors to more linear look too.
    melaniedaniels thanked Flo Mangan
  • felizlady
    Remove the basketball hoop to the back yard. The house is already fairly modern with the open entry roof and angular supports. The front fence is not modern. If you need a fence, consider simple wrought iron. Painting brick means future maintenance. Use some angular plants with interesting structure in the landscape.
    melaniedaniels thanked felizlady
    Flo Mangan
    Put stainless house numbers horizontally on fence. Create stone and pottery water feature in front of brick wall. A MCM exterior light on fence and on sides of garage doors. I think I just spent 10k. Gotta run. Bbl
  • houssaon

I see nothing wrong with what you have now. I would not touch the brick. The pergola is an integral part of the modern design.

You should focus on the landscaping. I would not cover the window with a bush or Japanese Maple.

melaniedaniels thanked houssaon
    Flo Mangan
    A few examples.
    melaniedaniels thanked Flo Mangan
  • decoenthusiaste

I believe the pergola is meant to guide people to the front door, so I wouldn't remove that. I like the hedge wall but it needs attention up top, and be sure it is insect free. Stingers love to build in those and then zap your guests. Update and streamline the fence if you need to have one. Stain the brick charcoal, match the siding to it, paint the rendered column in a hot fun color you love or clad it will steel or whatever metal matches new house numbers, or wrap it with redwood or cedar.

Stealth · More Info

melaniedaniels thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Michele
    Please don’t mess your house up! I love that design. Garbage cans, basketball hoop and the landscaping are the obvious things you need to address. That’s it. It’s classic. Don’t go trying to turn it into something it’s not.
    melaniedaniels thanked Michele
  • Irene Morresey
    I like it, wonder what it would look like with the bricks left as is and everything painted a deep colour like the grouting, even fence. Could look quite effective and smart, concentrate on the landscaping
    melaniedaniels thanked Irene Morresey
    Flo Mangan
    I would do dark gray including the fence. Especially the fence. Lovely home. Keep the main elements in place. You won’t regret it.
    melaniedaniels thanked Flo Mangan
  • bellburgmaggie
    The picket fence around your modern home doesn’t fit.
    melaniedaniels thanked bellburgmaggie
  • melaniedaniels thanked Barbara Davis
  • houssaon

Every single space Leanne Ford does is black and white. Its her schick.

melaniedaniels thanked houssaon
  • Alfred Crawford

Start with painting. You can also shift the basketball goal to a different place. Install landscape lighting, mailbox. Work on lawn maintenance too!

melaniedaniels thanked Alfred Crawford
  • K Laurence

I would paint & re-landscape, leave the brick alone There is nothing wrong with your fence, it’s actually a contemporary version of a picket fence. I would probably paint it the darker color used on the house. i know it’s often suggested on here to replace with horizontal cedar fencing since it’s a trend, however, they look terrible after a few years without constant maintenance, they are common in my area & even with our very mild weather they age badly. Very high maintenance.

• melaniedaniels

Thank you so much.

• Irene Morresey
    Definitely dark siding and fence, love how they use the big pavers in the landscaping, bright paint used sparingly, perhaps door. Greenery looks amazing against dark paint