Software
Houzz Logo Print
greg_turnipseed

Design and Construction Timeline (Or, When to Hire Whom)

7 years ago

Hi, all. I'm looking to have a house completed in about 30 months (coinciding with finishing paying off my land). I've decided there's too much I don't know about the build process to trust my own designs, so I'd like to hire an architect to fill in all the missing details (including the ones I haven't even thought of). The thing is, I don't know when to reach out to one; 2-1/2 years seems pretty early to be engaging an architect, and I don't want to waste his/her time, but on the other hand, I don't want to delay the project or rush the architect by holding off too long. So, if I want the house done in about 2-1/2 years, we can work backwards:

  • How long does construction usually take?
  • How long should it take from the time I get bids until the builder can start?
  • How long should it take to get bids, given a set of plans and specs?
  • How long will it take an architect to work with me to design the plans and specs?

If there are other stages in there I missed, then feel free to elaborate on those, too; those were just the big things that came to mind. I realize these will all be ranges, but right now, other than assuming about 6 months for construction, I really don't know how long the rest will take.


A few other details, in case they help (if not, feel free to disregard):

  • The site is 14 acres in rural North Texas.
  • The only permit required is for the septic, which has already been installed.
  • All utilities, including culverts, electricity, water, and the aforementioned septic, are already onsite but will need to connect to the house when it's ready.
  • I'm planning on having a basement installed, which will necessarily increase excavation time and cost and require moisture resistance.
  • Some landscaping will need to be done to address drainage issues and create a level space for the house and driveway.
  • I'm planning to have an entire wall of windows on the east-facing wall along with the eastern half of the north and south walls, which will probably take extra time to manufacture and install and will require additional design to support the roof.
  • There are still some unknowns on the floor plan, such as wanting to add an additional guest bedroom but having not really figured out where to put it, yet.

Like I said, if the details above don't help, feel free to disregard them; I just want to make sure that all the constraints are known upfront in case that causes any substantial changes to the timeline.


Thank you!

Comments (8)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I think you're at about the right time to hire an architect and ask him to recommend a builder he's worked with to work with you at the same time. This way you won't go in with a budget of $250,000 for the house and after bids discover that it will be about $450,000 to build!


    Most people with a custom designed/built house say the timeline is usually about 2 years.

    Greg Turnipseed thanked Anglophilia
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Start now talking to a few local architects and ask them the questions you have. You will not only get answers to your questions, you will get a pretty good feel for which one you will want to work with in designing your home.

    Greg Turnipseed thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you all for your responses; it sounds like it's probably in my best interests to get started (which is *very* exciting!), so thank you all for chiming in!

  • 7 years ago

    I agree with "getting started." I know things vary depending on where you live, but in our two builds over the last 15 years, the most irritating (and unplanned) delay was the permitting process - it took four months after plans were submitted in our previous house before the builder got the go-ahead to start, and almost six months for our current home. I think to be on the safe side, allow yourself time for preparing the plans, submitting them for permits, and making whatever revisions council demands.

    Greg Turnipseed thanked jmm1837
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, @jmm1837. Fortunately, permits aren't required where I live (it's *really* rural), but I'm fairly certain there's going to be something like that that ends up slowing things down. Like you and everybody else has said so far, getting started sounds like the best plan (and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't what I wanted to hear!).

  • 7 years ago

    When we built our house in Vermont, from ground-breaking on Labor day to move-in was March. The house had been designed for over a year, and was being tweaked throughout that time. A lot will depend upon builders in your area. Our builder only built one house at a time, so even though we were building over the winter in a cold climate, the house was weather proof before winter set in.

    Greg Turnipseed thanked Nancy Walton
  • 7 years ago

    Thank you for sharing, Nancy; my parents had three different houses built back when I lived with them, and the first took 9 months; the second, 6; and the third, 4. I had figured 6 months was about average, and it sounds like that was your experience, too, in terms of the actual construction time (i.e., not waiting for the house to start). That's encouraging, so thank you.