Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenbateman64

How far to hang ceiling fan on 20 foot ceiling?

Jennifer B.
4 years ago

I purchased a 60" ceiling fan for our great room which is 19.5 feet high and has a 10/12 pitch. We will be heating with wood using a Wilkening Fireplace so want to properly move the air around. Everything I'm reading says that the fan should be 9 feet off the floor, which would mean I would need a 10 foot down rod which seems ridiculous! Would I be making a mistake if I just hung it as far down from the ceiling as is visually appealing to me? Since scaffolding is needed, I would really like to get this right the first time!! Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Your downrod is not long enough and frankly it's the pitch of the blades that affects air flow. Is your fan large enough for the room?

• User
    4 years ago

Most charts say call the company to discuss for ceilings over 15' tall. Longest stock downrod that seems easily available is 6'/72".

Regardless, you need at least 2' from fan tips to wall at whatever height you suspend.

• PRO
    Blue Marbles Renovation LLC
    3 years ago

Jennifer- did you ever get your ceiling fan resolved? I have the same issue, we are re-building our lake home (and interestingly we are using a Wilkening fireplace also!). LMK what you ended up doing. My electrician suggested hanging the ceiling fan very high up but the fan company says we won't feel the air flow even with a 7500 CFM. Thanks for any help. Julie

• Jennifer B.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I ended up hanging it about 5 feet from the ceiling, so fairly high. I'm very pleased with it. A lot for me was the view of the lake (I didn't want to have to look through the fan to see the lake from the second floor balcony.) It moves the air just fine both directions depending upon the season. I DID, however, end up with the "strobe affect" which my electrician warned me about. I thought I was hanging it high enough to avoid that, but I guess not!

• sktn77a
    3 years ago

Just be aware that the longer the down rod, the more susceptible to imbalance the fan will be. With the quality of fans today, you could have your fan swinging around like one of those aeroplanes you see in the toy stores!

• formulaross20
    3 years ago

Our family room has a vaulted ceiling, 16' to the peak and a ceiling pitch of 8/12. We installed a 60" fan and when it came to the down rod, I bought a 6 foot rod at Lowes, it was the longest they had. That places the fan at about 10'off the floor. Works fine for air circulation. I wouldn't be so concerned about the look, we don't pay attention to the 'look' of the fan, it's the fireplace, brick surround and built-in cabinets on each side that what we see in the room.

I disagree with sktn about a longer down rod making the fan more susceptible to imbalance. Fans mounts allow the down rod to pivot at the top/ceiling mount. This makes the combination of the down rod fixed to the fan act as a long pendulum. The longer the pendulum length, the longer its period of swing (as the pendulum is lengthened, it swings back and forth slower). With an out of balance fan assembly, the period of rotation of the fan is short (1/2 second?, 1 second?) when compared with the period of the pendulum (several seconds) such that the out of balance condition doesn't excite the pendulum frequency.

• J M
    2 years ago

What is a strobe effect?

• Jennifer B.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

As I understand it, it is when the paddle of the fan cuts through the beam of light as it is shining down into the room. So it "cuts" the light out like a strobe light does. The faster you run the fan, the strobe effect you get.

• DebbieandMario Cohen
    7 months ago

Where can you buy a 96” down rod?

• ci_lantro
    7 months ago

Down rods max out at 72". You can use two down rods and a down rod coupler for longer lengths. Check with the maker of your fan to ensure matching finish.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022