Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_2001786

grey on grey ??

Hello y”all !! My style is more modern and contemporary, in process to built a new house in Colorado, market looks a little different here , anyway our builders are only giving us these to options to choose from ? What would be the best option to choose ?

- grey wall paint with grey kitchen cabinets and white countertop and white backsplash
- grey wall paint with white cabinets and white countertops and backsplash

Kindly shoot in any ideas suggestions with a reference of a pic !! Thank u all

Comments (22)

  • 7 years ago

    I would pick the gray/white option. That way, you have more options over the years to change colors in the kitchen by changing up paint, back splash or counters because the white cabinets would go with just about anything I would think.

  • 7 years ago

    Definitely white cabinets. Gray is on its way out

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I would choose white. White cabinets will always work. Gray locks you into that color.

  • 7 years ago

    There are a multitude of whites. How about asking whether the cabinetmaker offers Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore color choices for white. Then come back for recommendations.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    She isn't going to get ANY custom white! It's the spec builder white. One choice.


  • 7 years ago

    If they give you only one option of gray vs one option of white, my choice for cabinetry would be white. I've no idea which palette you prefer-"warmer" or "cooler", "clean" or "muddy" ..but white will be easier to take in either direction. Walls can always be repainted, backsplash-installed later as suggested already.

  • 7 years ago

    Why are these your only options? I would never go with builder paint. It's almost always crap.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Definitely white cabinets.


    They should be paying you handsomely to take the gray cabinets off their hands.

  • 7 years ago

    White. Grey is a trend that is taking its last gasps.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Thats not much of a choice - I would go white cabinets and see if you can get a credit for the other 2 so you can pick your own. In my mind a kitchen in Colorado needs to be warm and earthy... not getting that out of either of your choices...


  • 7 years ago

    What builder are you using? We looked at several while building and everyone had more than that as options. Only one that was similar situation was a quick move-in in Arvada.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    White cabinets the wall color can be anything you want later .

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Doesn't matter . Painted cabs and no basic oak or maple? Do you like the gray? Where in heck is he giving you upgrade options. Sounds like everyone will be redoing their kitchen. Better be very economical ......he's getting lg quantities cheaply. .not necessarily bad.....but we live in world of options now. ...he's not current. Id probably do gray in this case. Jazz up hardware big time...and floor if u can.

  • 7 years ago
    It’s a William Lyon builder , I really want to stick to grey wall paint however Iam just having a hard time to visualize how would my grey wall paint with grey cabinets and white backsplash and white countertop will give a look ?

    Or even doing grey wall paint , white cabinets , white backsplash, white countertop look like ?

    Just can’t picturize how all white kitchen will look like ? It’s a very clean white modern paint they are offering .

    I have always had some busy backsplash which can pop the color the between the cabinets and countertop .

    Thank u all for amazing responses , some more pics of my Delima would help me further narrow down my search
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    White Cabinets, Gray walls. White gives you lots of versatility for any less expensive changes in the future. You can always repaint this least expensive option.

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I was recently at Home Depot and saw two gray model kitchens. They were horrid! And I say that actually liking a gray kitchen and having one myself!


    The Gray was very dark - looked like it had been done for a USNavy battleship.

    My own own kitchen has light gray cabinets (SW Repose Gray), white Corian countertops and white honed marble backsplash. The floors are hardwood and stained the same color throughout my house - a med warm brown. My walls are the same SW color as the cabinets, but done 1/2 strength. All the kitchen woodwork is a very bright white.

    This works as I have a huge bay window on the sink wall that covers most of that wall. A door is next to it and is usually open - it’s all glass. The wall/window faces due west. So I have a ton of light in my kitchen. I would not like it at all if my kitchen faced east and only had a normal above the sink window.

    Since your choices are very limited, go with the white.. You can choose either wall paint as it can be repainted later.

    This is is why I could never build a house like this - I need choices.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    As mentioned several times, white gives you a blank slate. You can always change things down the line or even now. Look how clean these kitchens look. Now, look at the last photo. Not a plain kitchen at all. Yet, it is all white with grey walls.

    Needham Kitchen · More Info


    Charleston Charmer · More Info


    Coastal Volusia · More Info


    Kitchen · More Info


  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Good GRIEF! It's a non decision! Get the white, ask them to credit you the backsplash and pick your own! : ) and get it installed affter closing. Make them skim, and clean up the painted backsplash..then take your TIME to select. Easy peasy. No riser for your counter top...leave it off. You don't want it there when you tile.

    Chances are, given the builder? You will have a much better look, better install if you wait on the splash. Possibilities for BORING abound here........: ) given his limited options

  • 7 years ago

    This is my gray cabinets, white back splash with gray walls. It is not a new kitchen, but it will give you an idea of what gray on gray will look like. Different counters though. No, I don't follow trends. I have for 30 years used gray is my neutral color. White and gray are both neutrals. Use which one you like best.





  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Here are pictures of MY gray-on-gray kitchen.









    You will see it looks VERY different from the kitchen pictured above. Why? I have lots of pot lights in my ceiling; that kitchen as a couple of fixtures. I have a HUGE west-facing bay window in my kitchen; the one above has one small window. I have tons of bright white painted woodwork in my kitchen; there are no door frames in the one above and the door is painted the same gray. I have bright white countertops in my kitchen; the one above has a gray marble-look that is darker. I have a wall of cabinets with glass doors: the above kitchen does not - more "gray" mass of cabinets. We both have wood floors, stained a medium warm brown. I have polished brass hardware in my kitchen; the one above has used glass knobs.


    There is no "right" or "wrong" way to do a gray-on-gray kitchen, but the results will be quite different depending on the other choices made. It's a matter of personal choice. I wanted my kitchen to look "crisp" and with all the white and light, it does.


    I posted this to show just how different two kitchens painted using the same color scheme can look. The difference is far more apparent when comparing a gray-on-gray kitchen than one with white cabinets. Two white kitchens would look pretty much the same.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    @ functionthelook - I had a large desk with counters like yours! Loved it!!