kevin_benoit25

Biodegradable plastic mulch

Hello, I will garden In ground for the first year this summer. I want to grow tomatoes, peppers, chillies beets, onions, etc. My last frost date is around June 1st and first frost mid to late September. We don't really get droughts and get around 80-100mm of water a month.

So, last year i grew all my garden in large containers and learned the importance of mulching and water conservation. I used cedar mulch and had a few problems with the mulch being expensive and using the nitrogen in my soil. A local farmer recommended black biofilm to retain moisture and especially to suppress weeds.

I will be gardening in a community garden and my SO's grandmother's garden so I don"t have access to drip irrigation but can water manually with a hose.

What will be different with the watering with the film in place? Will I get better disease protection from soilborne diseases? Will I get an early start with tomatoes, peppers, melons as the soil warms up?