daninthedirt

canteloupe cans

daninthedirt (USDA 8a, HZ10, Cent TX, Sunset z30)
last modified: May 21, 2019

It's well understood that canteloupe can't be in contact with the soil. Got to lift them up. Just heaping mulch under them doesn't work for me. The stuff gets wet. I've tried putting ceramic tiles under the melons, but they roll off the tiles. The standard "trick" is to prop the mid-sized melons up in the open side of a tuna fish can. But the problem with that is that if the melons are too small when you put them there, they will squeeze part of themselves inside the can as they grow, and you get a melon with tuna fish can sides embedded in it. Now that I have melons on the way, I have come up with a solution. Use tuna cans, but drill five or six half-inch holes in the base, including one at the center. Turn the can open-side down on a hard surface and THEN give the center of the base of the can a whack with a hammer to depress it. Place the can on the ground open-side down, and put the melon on top in the depressed base. The hole in the depressed center ensures that the melon doesn't sit in a puddle, and the melon can't roll off.

A picture is worth a thousand words - which are mostly ugly, ugly, ugly. But it works great. Note that when you whack the can with a hammer to depress the base, the base will start to tear and fracture. No big deal.