Software
Houzz Logo Print
telfakaye

Help me open up my living room

13 years ago
I'm accustomed to vaulted ceilings and I feel a little "closed in" in this house. Please give me your ideas on how you would transform this space and lighten it up. I would like to paint a nice gray but unsure of which gray. Thank you!

Comments (23)

  • 13 years ago
    Adding more pics
  • 13 years ago
    Also, we plan to put a dining table under the hanging light
  • 13 years ago
    First off paint the wall white it will make it look brighter, pick up the stuff near the tv and get built in storage I think on the other side it looks like something for your kid.... Maybe paint the color of the wall a light blue that will go with the white and in front of the couch get a light maple table and why don't yo move ur kids high chair in with the kids thing and put two seats up next to the bar and stuff and change the drapes in a different color
  • 13 years ago
    Also change the blinds and add pink throw pillows
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    A light gray like the Popular Gray from Sherwin Williams would work in this space. It would contrast from the base boards and still be light enough to brighten the space up. An area rug will help to section off the seating space. The seating should be re-examined to make sure it is in a logical arrangement because there seems to be a lot of dead space. What functions does this room serve?
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks mojorocks1, I should have added that we have a media enter onthe way too, should help with declutter. What color should I get for drapes? And you said change the blinds, I was thinking white faux wood, instead of the faux wood that's on there, what do you think?
  • 13 years ago
    Great color suggestion lasting impressions! It is a living room/dining room. We have a table on the way that I will add a pic for. We moved in a few weeks ago so it's still a little out of sorts. I love the tree that's behind the couch but I think it should probably be somewhere else, any suggestions?
  • 13 years ago
    This is the table
  • 13 years ago
    This is the media center. We will mount the TV to the wall. The media center is the same furniture collection as the dining set. Should they be or should they be different??
  • 13 years ago
    If you can afford to change your chandelier choose something more airy --not so heavy and old fashioned. Here are some ideas.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Your curtains should be hung as close to the ceiling as possible. You should have the same panels on all windows--going from ceiling to floor. Move the wood blinds to a bedroom window. Stick with a light solid color for the curtains--a linen would be great. That alone will make your space much lighter and more flowing. I'm not a fan of the grommets--too industrial.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    If this is a house you can remodel, and if you have any south facing walls with few or no windows, the best way to bring in light is to add windows on the south side of your house. If the sight outside is not beautiful, just add windows on the upper sides of the wall. That's the best way to bring light into the house. Done it myself...
  • 13 years ago
    Leelee, thanks for the suggestions with the measurements, that really helps. I am going to bring the curtains up to near the ceiling and will post pics once this is done!
  • 13 years ago
    Kshoa, would be great if we were going that route but not feasible right now
  • 13 years ago
    Would I get silver curtain Ross even though the fan is oil rubbed bronze?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    you should raise the drapery rod to 6'' above the frame that will help alot

    http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/
  • 13 years ago
    Short furniture will keep the space from being broken up, light colors and decorative mirrors will brighten up the place and make it seem much bigger. I would do whites and neutral woods to help make the space look natural and bigger.
  • 13 years ago
    What kind of mirrors would look good?
  • 13 years ago
    Hellooo Telfakaye, I think this might be a tiny or a little bit helpful. My aunt once told me another way to open up a room or to make it bigger is installing the curtains higher than they are supposed to be. So in your case a few inches higher?
  • 13 years ago
    Any suggestions on curtain rods to buy? I want silver ones (also I don't want to spend a ton of money on them)
  • 13 years ago
    Will it be necessary to change the blinds I white ones in order to use white curtains?
  • 13 years ago
    Cool grey on the walls and a nice area rug to brighten up the floor should help. Have fun!