Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_142329498

Farmhouse with a mexican twist

7 years ago

Ok everyone, I am about to purchase a home and was going to do a farmhouse theme which I know everyone is doing right now but I like it. Well my brother and sister in law also just bought a house and she just informed me that she will also be doing a farmhouse theme. No biggie but then I thought well I also really like all the vibrant mexican color themed things from my culture maybe I can do a mix. However, maybe this would clash too much. What does everyone think? Is there a way to pull this off? p.s. I own things like the cups at the bottom so I threw that in.















Comments (32)

  • 7 years ago

    Also not a pro.


    I think the pale neutral background of the farmhouse style would show off the Mexican tiles and other bright accessories beautifully! I would go with warmer white or warm greige walls rather than the bluer grays or stark gray whites.


    But you also need to ask yourself what it is you like about the farmhouse style before you make a final decision. If what draws you to it is the lack of color and "pop"...the muted soft colors with not much variation...then you will not like having all the pizazz of Mexican or Spanish style. If you really want lots of airy white space and little color contrast, but want to not compete with your sister-in-law (good for you, by the way!) there are lots of other directions you could go with that color scheme.


    Or is it something else about the farmhouse style you like? If you can pin down what you feel drawn to in that style, maybe we can help you tweak it into something that is your own personal look!

  • 7 years ago

    call it "casa de campo" inside your head (as an example. I'm sure you know better than me how to call it), and choose things you love and that reflect you the most. Slowly.

    Word art like "Home " and "Gather"is less personal .. won't tell as much about you and your family, as your pretty cups. If you like certain citations to be displayed-it's more personal, in my eyes.


    Don't hurry, choose only art and decor that really call your name, and are significant to you, and listen to your house.

    If you can describe how it looks(the house) we might be of more help.


    I love the Mexican tile as well, and Spanish style is actually my favorite. If your future house can support it-it's an amazing direction to take. You don't have to make a "theme"of it, or of any other style. You don't have to oversaturate it with just one kind of decor.

    you can "borrow" white for some walls, you can borrow rustic feel for furnishings and fabrics etc-and you can still introduce happy and vibrant colors and patterns that speak to you

    Farmhouses reflect the land where they stand. They can be very different. If you like whatever Gaineses do in Waco-but your house is somewere else, and looks different, and you want to introduce more of yourself and family -then take this main idea of them which is of casual comfort and a bit of a country, rustic, sometimes industrial elements, and develop it in a way that will reflect you the most. Any style is more than a sum of certain elements. It's an idea. A certain idea. Which can be then interpreted differently.


    If you want everything you love to work together-decide on permanent/semi-permanent elements first, or take into account existing ones. They're the ones to always be considered.

    The rest, take slowly. You'll see where to add, what to substract, when you give yourself time.


    It will be exciting to figure it all out.

    Good luck on your future purchase!


  • PRO
    7 years ago

    What is the style of the exterior of your home? I hope it's not a tract home.


    Themes are for events not houses. Most of the items you posted are pretty trendy and kitschy and not items to waste money on IMO. I would suggest a hacienda or rancho style that is more timeless and classic.







  • 7 years ago

    Basically it will be a mix of styles or a eclectic style

    If you could achieve a composition which seems visually balanced & aesthetically pleasing, you have done justice.

    Pls try out a wall or a small room & see how you feel.

    It is most imp you like how it looks & feels than "fitting any style"

    .

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    YES- mix the two schemes into one that is uniquely you! Your home will look collected and be in a style of your making.

    It seems that word -wall art is overdone and generic. I've seen it in various languages over the years along with various decor trends -French, Tuscany, as well as the classic "Home Sweet Home", which is shortened to "Home." It is a comforting thing to see as you enter your CASA, following a long work day. I'd skip the word signs, unless it is welcome home or home sweet home or home.

    IDEA! Easy DIY project: a CASA or pillow- plain pillow and cotton braid trim, like this Pottery Barn HOME pillow: 1 yard of trim & needle with thread. Stich the braid on top of a plain pillow. Voila!

    Living too · More Info


  • 7 years ago

    Beverly is right: a theme is for an event, not a home. (Not sure what she means about hoping your home isn't a tract one though.) You want your home to reflect your style and that's personal. Whatever draws you to "farmhouse" decor might not draw your SIL. You can both love the same decor style but adopt it differently. No one has "dibs" on a decor style. As usual, April's advice is spot on. Take your time and don't worry about the name of your style.

  • 7 years ago

    Tract housing, also known colloquially in the United States and Canada as cookie-cutter housing, is a type of housing development in which multiple similar homes are built on a tract (area) of land that is subdivided into individual small lots. Tract housing developments are found in world suburb developments that were modeled on the "Levittown" concept and sometimes encompass large areas of dozens of square miles.[1][2]

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks, chuppi. Still not getting the relevance for the OP's musings. Tract houses aren't necessarily devoid of a particular style.

  • 7 years ago

    I think the Mexican inspired pottery and tiles are gorgeous. If you love them, why not use them and be inspired with some other color vibrant color choices. Google Malibu art tiles and you will see some gorgeous inspiration photos - I am planning to do my balcony with a "rug" consisting of those tiles.


    With regards to the ridiculous pillows and wall plaques with words in whatever language, I wouldn't use them anywhere whatever style they are being called. They are kitsch of the worst kind - mass marketed kitsch without even an ironic wink.


    Get out of Home Goods and Target if you like eclectic funky stuff and spend a Sunday at a local flea market - or a Saturday at some of the interest vintage stores in your area and decorate with items that you fall in love with.

  • 7 years ago

    Everyone knows what a tract house is. fla just used it as a derogatory statement about the house. Veronica, I would find another place to ask for help, these people here get "triggered" with the word "Farmhouse". Stick to what you like and have fun...while you are young and not a crabby, jaded individual.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Okay, am going to take some heat on this one...

    There is just waaaaay too much word art going on IMO.

    There. I said it.

    Now to the fun part.

    Mexican Farmhouse sounds like fun!

    Color, texture, plants, great combo!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    @Janie Gibbs -LOL! I agree Those were just examples as in if I did try to throw some mexican spice in it instead of a few signs in english they would be in spanish but I think I am just going to do what everyone is kind of agreeing on and not call it farmhouse or theme or anything and just put some of my favorite pieces together which include mostly farmy but some cool pops of color here and there.

  • 7 years ago

    Veronica,

    Not sure how old you are or if you remember Cheech & Chong, but Cheech Marin has the most amazing Chicano Art collection, many people do not know this.

    Check it out for some amazing inspiration.

    https://thecheechcenter.org/the-collection/

  • 7 years ago

    wacokid, tract house is not a term I was really familiar with and according to its definition, I live in one. Styles vary with the decades, from what I see around here. Currently, in my area, they're done in a modern/contemporary style.

  • 7 years ago

    For those of you wondering what the house looks like. She is almost 100 years old but in the city. (more like small town, Benson, North Carolina) but not out in the country.



    front porch


    this is the main living room





    This is the office or small den




    and the very old kitchen




    Obviously the house needs work especially that kitchen. Look at that stove! But I think I will just take is slow like Aprilneverends suggested.


  • 7 years ago

    My mother lived in Mexico for almost thirty
    Years. Beautiful tile, iron, leather and old wood characterized her home that had been there for decades. Hand made objects, not mass marketed disposable stuff, certainly no wordy wood. Go for it with your own bent and you’ll have a home that’ll make everyone smile and wish it was theirs.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    The point is tart, that fla used the term as a derogatory statement about whatever the style of a "tract home" is. I lived in a tract home, loved it, raised my kids in it, made $500k on it... I would never put a tract home down, like fla did. Most "affordable" housing in the suburbs of large cities is tract housing. Many people, millions live in them and fla put them all down.

  • 7 years ago

    LOVE the stove!!

  • 7 years ago

    Gotcha, wacokid. It did sound derogatory and I guess I was hoping she'd clear that up for us.

    Your house is a handsome one, Veronica! That porch. The trim. Rooms look spacious and bright. Congrats! I'm sure you'll put your own stamp on it. Hope you keep us posted. :)

  • 7 years ago

    Veronica, thank you so much for sharing pictures with us!

    The house is a beauty.

    I'm excited for you! will take time but somehow I "know" ...it will be great.

    If you decide to share your process, with us, at some point..I, personally, would be very excited and glad. It's a bit like sharing a road to Oz..))



  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Set the tone of your decor starting with your front door with a HOLA doormat. $14 https://www.luluandgeorgia.com/hola-doormat#

    Layer a plain doormat with an outdoor rug $22

    https://www.jossandmain.com/Millwood-Pines--Wiest-Gingham-Check-BlackIvory-IndoorOutdoor-Area-Rug-BI093280-L167-K~PBVR1069.html?refid=GX311220719424-V1PR06B9&device=t&ptid=563843605800&targetid=pla-563843605800&network=s&ireid=54604924&gclid=CIiZoqm_1eICFQ-1wAodp6UGAg

    Or DIY 3x5 outdoor mat with outdoor fabric & a canvas dropcloth... Stitch all around like a pillowcase, turn inside out, stitch close the last edge. (Washable)




    (Highlight your decor's accent color on the front door blue ribbon & blue plaid rug) This howdy mat is too small, but the idea is there.


  • 7 years ago

    That is an awesome house, you definitely could do the farmhouse/mexican/whatever you like. Looks big and spacious, great high ceilings. Congratulations...............

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    p.s. my favorite comments:

    --But you also need to ask yourself what it is you like about the farmhouse style before you make a final decision. If what draws you to it is the lack of color and "pop"...the muted soft colors with not much variation...then you will not like having all the pizazz of Mexican or Spanish style. If you really want lots of airy white space and little color contrast, but want to not compete with your sister-in-law (good for you, by the way!) there are lots of other directions you could go with that color scheme.-Saphirestitch. @Saphire I totally love the airy white spice but also love pops of color so you are spot on! Thank you! And why compete? I am going to help her decorate :) I usually do party decorating but when it comes to a more permanent situation like my house I always second guess myself ugh!

    -- call it "casa de campo" inside your head (as an example. I'm sure you know better than me how to call it), and choose things you love and that reflect you the most. Slowly. -Aprilneverends. @April I LOVE your casa del campo idea! Around here people actually name their places anyway. Like the Cockrell estates, or The thorton house. The house is in the city though so not sure if it will still go...probably going to do it anyhow...and not just in my head lol!

    IDEA! Easy DIY project: a CASA pillow- plain pillow and cotton braid trim. See this Pottery Barn pillow: -DK Haas. @DK I love DIY so I will definitely be making my own stuff and even though everyone seems against the word plaques, It's a big house so I may throw one or two spanish words on some items in one or two rooms hahaha.

    Veronica, I would find another place to ask for help, these people here get "triggered" with the word "Farmhouse". Stick to what you like and have fun...while you are young and not a crabby, jaded individual. -Wacokid. @Waco this made me laugh out loud! I love it, and I WILL stick to what I love thank you!!

    Thanks Everyone, I will try to keep you posted on any progress but it will probably be a couple of months :(

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    @JanieGibbs- I do too!! I'm 38 by the way and I do remember Cheech and Chong, I will definitely check out the art work. My mom and husband hate the stove but I think it would look really cute once we spruce up the place with new paint and other modern stuff. (if it still works) we will see.


    @tartanmeup-Thank you! Yes I do love that porch :) I sure will, it may take a couple of months though :/


    @aprilneverends- Thank you! I certainly will if everything goes as planned it may be a few months but I will keep yall in mind! <3


    @DK Hass- I love that first door style and the hola doormat, thanks for the ideas!


    @wacokid-Thank you! We will see :)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Veronica, thank you for sharing those pictures! What a lovely house with so much potential! I would have bought it for the porch even without all the other cool features.


    I’m not familiar with Benson in particular, but my parents live in Pittsboro and my son-in-law graduated from Campbell right up the road from you, so I’m familiar with the area in general and know it’s a lovely part of NC. (I live in Winston-Salem.)


    Looking forward to seeing your progress!

  • 7 years ago

    Love your home!

    Come back when you start decorating. I would love to see the progress.

  • 7 years ago

    Saphirestitch Awesome, yes I love it here and I love that porch! I must add a porch swing of course and some rocking chairs! I came from Texas 22 years ago and have loved it here ever since, well except the humidity but it is worth it for everything else. So then you know people around here pretty much have farmhouse decor by default regardless of exterior homestyle lol jk!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    You have a gorgeous craftsman bungalow home. It may also be a farmhouse but it's a craftsman bungalow!

    Originally all the interior woodwork in the public rooms (living room/dining room) was stained. Probably some gorgeous wood underneath that awful paint job. And the tiles may or may not have been historic tile they painted over. The best thing you could do is bring the woodwork back to its stained version. Trust me how gorgeous it will be.

    My guess is you have original oak or maple flooring underneath those carpets too that with a refinishing, will last another 100 years.

    Do yourself a favor and join the American Bungalow forum on Facebook.

    https://www.facebook.com/groups/103918108088/

    Also look into the following author's books to truly learn how to style your gorgeous home.

    Paul Duchscherer

    Jane Powell

    Also: American Bungalow Style

    Hunt down American Bungalow magazine too.

    Please do not turn your house into a Joanna Gaines wannabe. Do however absolutely incorporate your heritage into the house.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Oh and for paint colors, please check out Sherwin Williams as they have colors appropriate to a craftsman house. And those colors would work fabulously with the Mexican tile colors, etc.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    It was probably never a farmhouse, but here's a modern take on your Craftsman Bungalo.

    Modern Craftsman · More Info


    Porch and gable elements for you...

    Front Porch Elements of Craftsman Bungalows · More Info


    Local code may require you to add some railing.

    Plaza Midwood Craftsman - 2nd Story Addition · More Info

    You can have the outside looking spiffy in no time. Interior may take a while; make it your own.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Congrats on your pretty house! Agree with April that you should take your time,as much as you need. Old houses have wonderful stories to tell and sometimes you need to be in them a bit to hear it. Your general ideas sound fine, let them marinate awhile.Collect pics, check out some books, discover an inspo fabric or tile & definitely find out if you have refinishable hardwood under the carpets ;-)