Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindaoh_gw

Are you quilting this weekend? June 7-9

lindaoh_gw
4 years ago

Hello quilters! What are your sewing plans for this weekend? I plan to go to my guild's social sew on Saturday. Our original plans were for a birthday party for Charlotte but due to illness, it has been postponed. A new quilting friend offered to take me with her to the social sew. I happily accepted as I don't like to drive to the other side of the city.

Not much has happened in my sewing room this week. We helped DD with her garage sale last weekend and then had errands to run this week. I have high hopes of sewing later today. This dirty house needs some attention first.

What are your plans for the weekend?

Linda OH

Comments (23)

• msmeow
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Probably no sewing for me. I am in the orchestra for a production of "Children of Eden" and opening night is tonight! We've had 5-hour rehearsals every night this week. I've also worked my regular 8 hour job every day, so I'm running on fumes right now! We have a show Sat. night and Sun. afternoon and my plan for the rest of the weekend is to relax and catch up on stuff that hasn't gotten done because I have only been home long enough to sleep this week.

Donna

• nannykins
    4 years ago

Good luck with the performance Donna.

I did one BOM this week so I hope to do another today or tomorrow. And I have a table full of string blocks waiting to be de-papered or sewn with paper in. I can't decide. Or I could sit on the deck and pull paper out. That sounds like a good idea.

Enjoy the weekend all.

Theresa

• polardream
    4 years ago

I just finished a baby quilt last night and hope to get another one done that I started at Retreat. We have "Taste of Fort Collins" this weekend so we will be going to listen to music tomorrow for part of the day and I also am working a pancake breakfast for our Lions Club. It will be busy, but I do hope to get some sewing in tonight!

Sue

• grammyp
    4 years ago

I hope to finish the cactus baby quilt I started at retreat. Now that the long arm is stitching well I have several projects to get quilted.

• Larri
    4 years ago

Wow! Y'all are extremely busy! Linda, I love how sew-cial you are. Joining a local guild is on my list, but must wait a year or so longer. Seems like a lot of fun! Donna, break a leg this weekend! Theresa, whatever you decide, enjoy your time. Sue, I'm envious of your 'Taste of Fort Collins.' Hope it's a scrumptious blast. Bev, sounds as if you have plenty on your plate with your long arm stitching and baby quilt.

I have no plans for sewing, as I've just returned from a visit-Mom's-birthplace road trip with my youngest child...2500 miles, 12 states, 5 days! Since the rental car company wouldn't allow my 16yo to drive, I was behind the wheel the whole time, and am still a bit sore in the shoulders to sit down at the machine. I'm playing catch up this weekend. Dad and the boys did all right keeping the house together, but bathrooms and floors need a good scrub. :)

Happy Quilting, y'all!

• msmeow
    4 years ago

Larri, that sounds like a fun trip! Is it something you’ve done with each of your kids?

Donna

• Larri
    4 years ago

It was a marvelous trip, Donna! I've always wanted to road trip with my children so they could see where I was raised; however, DH's health has prohibited that. We've been planning all year to travel to my hometown outside Wichita, KS, with the intention of DH flying to meet us. Unfortunately, both boys just happened to be employed with new jobs, and couldn't take time off yet. DH decided to stay home with them, and we turned it into a girls' event. :) We left Friday morning after her last exam and drove from Upstate, SC to Tupelo, MS, passing through GA and AL.. Saturday early AM, we traveled through TN, AR, OK, and finally to KS. Took about 12 hours to arrive. We spent 2 days in the Wichita area, where DD was introduced to extended family, and also toured all my family homes and old haunts. We left early Tuesday morning, stopped in St. Louis, MO, drove through IL, and landed in Paducah, KY for the night. That was another 12-hour day, though it went by pleasantly and quick. Wednesday morning, we set out for Nashville, TN and grabbed a bite to eat, toured a bit, then headed home through the mountains of NC, arriving about 6pm. Whew! It was a fabulous & memorable 5 days. :)

PS...I had to restrain myself, because of all the Quilt Shop Billboards we passed going through TN and NC! We were short on time due to some family obligations, and needed to be back Wednesday. Thinking I need to plan a roadtrip just to visit all those!

• loisflan
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I've been working slowly on the blocks for my Crossroads quilt. I really like the way they are turning out, but I may have to rethink the fabric for the setting triangles. I'll wait until all 18 of the blocks are finished and make a decision then.

• nannykins
    4 years ago

Lois, that is going to be stunning. What is the setting triangle conundrum?

Theresa

• Larri
    4 years ago

Lois, those blocks are precisely gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing your finished quilt.

• Char
    4 years ago

That's a heck of a lot of driving, Larri! I'm not sure I could do that. Sounds like you had lots of fun tho. Beautiful blocks, Lois What is the finished size of the block?

• msmeow
    4 years ago

Larri, it sounds like a fun trip! Do you live in the Columbia area? I have a friend from there and it’s interesting how different his accent is from someone in the Charleston area.

Lois, your blocks are coming along nicely!

I did end up sewing a bit today. I made a new spit rag for my clarinet. :)

Donna

• Char
    4 years ago

I just finished the binding on that little baby quilt I was working on. I like it better now that it's done. I added the fleur de lis to fill in the space a little more(dad was an eagle scout)

• loisflan
    4 years ago

Thanks, Theresa, Char, Larri and Donna. The blocks finish at 10.5" but they will have sashing and cornerstones. The little squares are cut at 2". Here is a picture of the quilt done in reds. I found a border stripe that I liked in browns, but the fabric I bought for the setting triangles may or may not work. I think its main problem is that it's a solid color, and every other fabric in the quilt, except for the border, is a civil war print. It's also quite red. I'll keep looking.

• nannykins
    4 years ago

That is a lovely fabric for the border. And I see what you mean about the red. But there are spots of a red in that border. Maybe a duller red???

• loisflan
    4 years ago

Theresa, the setting triangle color is actually brown, but it's a reddish-brown. I think if I can find a similar brown that is patterned, it might work. None of the browns in my stash were the right color. They were fine for the center blocks, but not for the setting triangles. Oh, well, another trip to the LQS. I hate when that happens - not.

• Larri
    4 years ago

Yes, Char and Donna, it was very fun! I didn't mind driving. The rental was very comfortable. Even had A/C in the seat bottoms! Donna, Charlestonians are known for their more 'regal' Southern accent. It is quite different from a Midlands or Upstate accent. Mine is most decidedly a drawl. ;)

Lois, have you thought about a brown with small flowers? I saw this at Fabric.com and thought it might work...

• nannykins
    4 years ago

Just another thought! Should the setting triangles be a solid ( or near solid) to offset the printed border and all the prints in the blocks???Just wondering

Theresa.

• loisflan
    4 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, Larri. I think that might be a bit too much pattern for the look I'm aiming for. But a solid or a brown print that reads almost solid, as Theresa suggests, might work. It's just a matter of finding the right brown.

• loisflan
    4 years ago

I think I found the right fabric for the setting triangles. It's a two-tone brown pattern that looks like a screen close up and a solid from a distance. The fabric is darker and richer-looking in person than it shows in the photo. Larri, I saw the fabric you suggested and tried it, but I thought it was a little too busy for the rest of the prints. I've got 14 of the 18 main blocks made now.

• Larri
    4 years ago

Love your choice! Looking forward to seeing your completed quilt. Happy Sewing!

• nannykins
    4 years ago

Looking good Lois.

Theresa

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus