Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

Senecio vitalis in Florida

dirtygardener
4 years ago

I have a Senecio vitalis that I am absolutely in love with, because it seems indestructible. I grew it in a pack of 6 succulents I got on the sale rack at WalMart, and it's the only one that lived. I have it indoors right now, but I read that it can grow in full sun, but I'm in Florida, and every "full sun" succulent I've tried here has burned. I have an area that gets full morning sun up until about noon, then it's shaded. Would that be a good place for it? Also, is it good as a hanging basket plant? I really don't have a place to put it into the ground to spread, and it would die during our winters. I thought maybe it would be nice in a small hanging basket.

Comments (6)

• robinswfl
    4 years ago

I don't grow Senecio so I have no idea about hanging, not hanging etc. But I do live in FL and have for nearly 25 years, and pretty far south. The area you described that gets full morning sun but then shaded light in the afternoon might work well. My plants are all succulents. They are on a covered lanai that faces south. But again -- covered, so they get very little DIRECT or full sun but LOTS of bright shaded light. I even have cacti, Aloe, Euphorbia and Kalancoe in this light and they are fine. For your Senecio, I'd say -- give it a try. You will know soon enough if you need more light.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Robin, I used to live in SWFL and grew all my cacti and succulents, except for my COTs, under a huge oak tree in my back yard, where they thrived. Sadly, I don't have much shade here, so I need to put some things in morning light if I can. People think the sun isn't as strong up here in N. FL, but that's a myth. It's just as strong and can fry plants just as quickly.

• Crenda 10A SW FL
    4 years ago

Hey, DG - - I'm in SW FL, so my plants are in the ground. I don't have S. vitalis, but I have regular (fat) chalk sticks, either Senecio mandraliscae or maybe S. Serpens. Anyhoo - mine are on a raised island and they pretty much get full sun. There is a little while - maybe 2 hours - when they are shaded by a palm tree.

Here is some sprawl from my first 2 plants.

I have found that they go through cycles or sorts. The leaves get larger and lighter, almost yellow, and since it is summer I guess it is too much water. They die and new growth starts. So for a while, they look pretty ratty (for me! I don't know if this is the usual pattern.) Here is some new growth and older leaves.

Since I did not do a good job at pruning and maintaining these plants, I ended up with a lot of stems - some of which were pinched off or even rotting. I clipped off any plants I could find and started over. This was this morning -

That's probably more than you wanted to hear from me, but I wanted you to see how the sun, sandy soil and summer rains effect my plants. I've never tried a hanging basket, but now I'm intrigued!

Good luck!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    4 years ago

Senecio vitalis can take full all day sun here no problem. It forms a substantial shrub in a few years.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    4 years ago

hoovb, unfortunately, z9 in CA is very different then z9 in FL. You're mediterranean and we're sub-tropical. We have hot, steamy summers while you have dry, milder summers. A lot of succulents literally drown and rot during our summers, which is why we grow most of them in containers.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022