Software
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Recommendations for a good whiskey

7 years ago

My friend just finally completed her degree and bought a new house-shes in her mid 30's and is starting a whole new life-new job, new home after a divorce, etc. She's hosting a grad/housewarming party and has requested no gifts. But I still want to give her a little 'girlfriend' something so I want to get her a top shelf bottle of whiskey. She LOVES a good whiskey shot.


I don't drink much liquor-beer and wine, yes, but hard stuff is usually whatever the bar has as their house brand and typically just a margarita. So I'm not sure what is a good whiskey. I do know that there is a difference between bourbon and scotch and she apparently just likes whiskey. My Grandfather and father used to drink Jim Beam, so that is pretty much the only whiskey I'm familiar with. So I'm asking for suggestions.


I've asked a few mutual friends but they don't know what her preference is. I'm going to probably go to the liquor store Saturday-or I might even try a high end bar to see what they say, but thought I'd ask here first. Thanks!

Comments (46)

  • 7 years ago

    My folks drank Chivas. That's what I keep on hand. I don't drink it though. Drambui is more my speed from time to time. It's a whiskey flavored liqueur. Quite nice in the wintertime. Johnny Walker is popular too, lots of price points for that. Then are much fancier brands too.

  • 7 years ago

    A quick Google search mentioned the Glenlivet Reserve. Thanks Penny!


  • 7 years ago

    I’ve had all of these and enjoy them all. Most are under 50 but those that aren’t are still under 100. My shot drinking days are long inthe past — but I’d drink/sip any of them.

    Jamesons

    gentleman jack (jack Daniels)

    makers mark

    angels envy

    Woodford reserve.

    I also have a list of small batch whiskeys my nephew gave me on his Christmas list. I haven’t tried any of them but if small batch is your pref, I can dig up the list!

  • 7 years ago

    Isn’t glenlivet scotch?

  • 7 years ago

    I consider bourbon to be whiskey. Different then scotch. Glenlivet is scotch.

    A very good bourbon is Maker’s Mark. Excellent bourbons are numerous and pricy. (Bourbons are the new ‘in’ thing, so there are lots to choose from.)


  • 7 years ago

    Blanton's Special Reserve is excellent but you'll pay for it.

  • 7 years ago

    My husband likes a shot of Irish whiskey at times and enjoys Knappogue Castle, a bourbon whiskey. It comes in various prices depending on age, etc.

  • 7 years ago

    Maybe I haven't tried good whiskey. I may have to try one of these fancier bottles.

  • 7 years ago

    Yes - are you looking for whiskey or whisky?

  • 7 years ago

    I do not like whiskey/bourbon but I LOVE Angel’s Envy. Has to be the rye though.

  • 7 years ago

    My DH likes the Angels Envy and at a better price point Buffalo Trace.

  • 7 years ago

    If you can find it, Blanton’s is top notch. It’s my DH’s favorite. Others in order of his preferences are: Basil Hayden, EH Taylor small batch (another Buffalo Trace product almost as good as Blanton’s, prob should put this as #2), Maker’s Cask Aged or Maker’s 46 (made by Maker’s mark but a notch above). These are all bourbon whiskeys.

    If you want scotch, go with single malt and I like Glenmorangie, the older the better.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for all these suggestions! As I mentioned, I'm not sure what she prefers-scotch, bourbon, whiskey (American), whisky or straight rye, but from what I'm learning, there is a LOT of variety out there! I'm thinking a sipping whiskey-but I suspect she'd like anything, and any choice would be good for her bar collection.

  • 7 years ago

    Whistlepig.

    Also if she likes Rye, Sapling makes a great maple rye- this is lovely for sipping.


  • 7 years ago

    Scotch and bourbon are very, very different. Many times, people who like one don't like the other (I'm one of those - I can't stand scotch but love bourbon). Maker's Mark would be a nice gift in my book!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    My guys (DH and sons) like

    Angel's Envy (esp the Rye, finished in rum casks and has a sweet note -- in case that helps with what she might like) (near $100)

    Red Breast 12 (about $60)

    Bulleit Bourbon or Rye

    Longbranch (not as $$, but quite good with a unique mesquite note -- a Wild Turkey/Matthew McConaughey's venture that may be hard to find in some places. The son in PA canot get it and took . a bottle back from TX)

    4 Roses Single Barrel (Bourbon)

    Redemption Rye (but Angels's Envy if more top shelf )

    Maker's Mark

    Eagle's Rare -- made by Eagle Trace

    My son says Blanton's is thought of as very good but he has not had it.

  • 7 years ago

    Since there are so many choices and you are not sure what she prefers, how about a gift card to a really nice liquor store.

  • 7 years ago

    Yamazaki Single Malt Japanese Whiskey.

    Short story - We were headed up to Cape Breton Island on2014 for our first visit and the Celtic Colours music festival. Staying in Baddeck at the Broadwater Inn. People come from around the world come to this festival. The innkeeper said they'd be doing single malt tastings throughout the week and invited me to bring a bottle and participate. I knew there's be folks there from Scotland and other points bringing their favorite to share.

    I was intimidated. What could I bring from Arkansas that would impress this crowd? I discussed my challenge with a guy at a local liquor store. He suggested Yamazaki. It isn't sold in Nova Scotia so at least it would be new to most. Fast forward - it was judged the best.

    The next year Yamazaki was judged the best single malts in a world wide blind tasting, kind of like when Napa's Stags Leap Winery won best Cab in in a blind tasting in France in the 1970s.

    I think your friend will be impressed.



  • 7 years ago

    Glenfiddich is devine. But a really good whiskey like this (and others) is meant to be sipped not shot. It’s too good to do down that quickly. I hope your friend also sips.

  • 7 years ago

    <<I agree .. many most of the above are wasted on shots!!

    also agree bourbon drinkers don’t necessarily like scotch and visa versa. I hate scotch, my mom hates bourbon, my dad drinks both.

  • 7 years ago

    Exactly, weathy. I am not usually a bourbon drinker, but after going to several bourbon tastings, it is much like a wine tasting. You should take a very small sip and let it roll around in your mouth to adjust your taste buds. The second sip (and after) is guaranteed to taste much different and better.

  • 7 years ago

    I should mention that she does like sipping, she's gone to several tastings. I have Four Roses as a recommendation as well as the Glenlivit. There was also one called 1792 Full Proof Bourbon that was rated as a good one too on a site.


    Unfortunately we have only state run liquor stores, so a gift certificate is not an option. I want to help her stock her bar-so I'm really looking over all your recommendations!

  • 7 years ago

    There are scotch whiskeys, Irish whiskeys, Canadian whiskeys, wheated whiskeys...lots to choose from!

    Bernheim's Wheated Whiskey is fantastic. Crown's Bourbon Mash Whiskey is very smooth.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I wouldn't really call Glenlivet or Glenfiddich "scotch." They're both single malt whiskies, meant to be drunk/sipped straight, no ice or water. There are better single malts out there (and worse) but Glenlivet is a nice starter whisky if someone is just beginning to develop a taste.

  • 7 years ago

    I was going to suggest Makers Mark - it's one I keep on hand for friends.

    I'm not much of a whiskey drinker. If I were having a shot of something, it might be Cointreau.

  • 7 years ago

    I have been a bourbon drinker since my college days at UGA when we’d sneak a flask of bourbon into the game tied to our leg with an ace bandage, lol. Back in those days, it was Jim Beam...but I have SIGNIFICANTLY improved my taste in bourbon since! Makers Mark is my go-to...but I do enjoy Woodford and Basil Haydn. Your friend will appreciate your gift!

  • 7 years ago

    I'm a rummy, but Crown Royal seems popular around here.

  • 7 years ago

    Four Roses. Pretty bottle is a bonus!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I love a good bourbon. I cannot recall the name of the fancy and most delicious bourbon I had at Musso & Franks last year, but I found another that tastes very much like it: Old Granddad.

    http://thewhiskeyjug.com/bourbon-whiskey/old-grand-dad-review/

  • 7 years ago

    Red Breast was recommended by someone else above is an Irish Whiskey - most people I know seem to like it whatever kind of whisky / whiskey they usually prefer to drink.

    Glenlivet is an excellent Single Malt Scotch

    If she is a whisky fan you won’t go wrong with a lot of the recommendations people have shared here.
    Happy Shopping!

  • 7 years ago

    My personal favorite is Johnnie Walker Blue Label Scotch. It is a very refined bottle and is priced accordingly. It doesn't matter what brand or even style people prefer, if they know good whiskey they will appreciate this product.


    It has also been stated that such "Top Shelf" spirits aren't really meant to be drank a shot at a time, mixed or chased with other beverages, but to each his own.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Willett Top Still Reserve, Blanton, or Barton’s 1792

  • 7 years ago

    DH likes Crown Royal, just the regular, but the Black is good, too. Whiskey is not my thing.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Lagavulin is my favorite.

  • 7 years ago

    My scotch-drinking co-worker nearly fainted when I presented him with a bottle of Oban single malt scotch. One of my bosses orders Bulleit bourbon.

  • 7 years ago

    Garrison Bros. (made near me in the TX hill country) is my favorite. I’m not sure if it’s sold nationwide, though.

  • 7 years ago

    My brother and I like Bushmill's Irish whiskey, but I mostly just use it to make an Irish whiskey pie that has an Irish coffee flavored custard filling. We both hate Scotch but have had some Bourbons that we like, but we both prefer Bushmill's.

  • 7 years ago

    Lars - care to post that recipe?

  • 7 years ago

    Now this is a question I can get behind.

    My favorite mostly easy to purchase bourbon whiskeys:

    Blantons

    Bulleit

    Makers

    4 roses

    Buffalo trace

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Lars! We should drink some Bushmill‘s together. It‘s my whiskey. Usually over a couple of ice cubes but divine in eggnog.

    In high school three friends and I called ourselves the Four Roses. Haha. I haven’t drunk any bourbon since the mid 60s.

  • 7 years ago

    I started buying Blanton’s years ago. Then it got popular by being highlighted on tv shows and I can’t find it anywhere. I prefer Rye, but my son prefers Whiskey or Bourbon. I gave him a bottle of Blantons for his 21st so it’s all my fault. I’ve bought him a bottle of something different every year. Here is a list of the ones he really liked.


    Angels Envy

    Whistle Pig

    Jeffersons(ocean aged I think)

    Hudsons

    There are a few others but these are what came to mind.




  • 7 years ago

    nini804, just the smell of Jim Beam makes me swoon. Not in a good way. A memorably collegiate rugby party evening of over indulgence.

  • 7 years ago

    Jamieson - Distillers Cut ( limited edition so you may not be able to find it) but has the most delicious hints of butterscotch

  • 7 years ago

    I ended up buying Four Roses Small Batch. It was highly recommended as a sipping whiskey. She was thriled with it. Her new house is a tiny cottage and she's asked me to help her decorate (Yay!!) so we might be able to share a nice glass or two. Who knows, I may develop a taste for it.

  • 7 years ago

    JRB, I use the recipe from the Orowheat Bakery Cookbook, and so it is not digital, but I will look into writing it down. I just use the cookbook when I make it. The book has been out of print for some time - I bought in the in 1970s and used it in San Francisco for a lot of the items that I made for Island Restaurant in 1977. I recommended this book to a lot of people, and one of them started up a new restaurant called Just Desserts on Church Street, which became very successful, using the same recipes that I had been using at Island Restaurant at Sanchez and 17th Streets.