Software
Houzz Logo Print
fruitcat7b_atl

Sweetest Perle D'Or

7 years ago

Other than a random rose here and there, my garden's now into summer mode, it's all about tomatoes and peppers. But Perle D'Or just keeps on giving. It's like a flower snowman, waving at you!


Comments (24)

  • 7 years ago

    What a pretty, cheery flower snowman! I love the colors! :-)

  • 7 years ago

    Ooooh! So sweet! What a cheerful sight this morning while I drink my coffee on the patio with my heated blanket (mornings are always chilly here) and contemplate my garden. I have a baby Perle d’Or and even though it is has struggled with some nutrient deficiency (old leaves got yellow veins that soon widened to whole leaf and new buds dropped), it continued to set flowers throughout. I have given it kelp, alfalfa, chelated iron and magnesium sulfate and it seems to be much happier since no new chlorosis. I have high hopes for this rose since it is supposed to be quite a trooper.

  • 7 years ago

    Stephanie I also have a new one that isn’t doing great, I think mine isn’t getting enough sun

    Fruitcat, I hope mine looks like your someday. So pretty!

  • 7 years ago

    So beautiful fruitcat ! I always enjoy mine in Tennessee , but it never got very large . I wonder how it would do in California size wise! Christopher always recommend not to deadhead the candelabras of blooms as more growth comes from there . Forget how he explains it . It was always so charming!

    Stephanie, I had to laugh bc I am also under a blanket on the patio listening to birds ( and cars lol but concentrate on the birds ) . I rather enjoy the cool evening and mornings! So pleasant from the stagnant Tennessee mug that prevailed. Enjoy your coffee!

  • 7 years ago

    I love your colours better. They are so vibrant. Mine is constantly blooming and fades real quick. I love them Bec they last a long time on a bush.
    How tall is yours ?
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    wait a min that is a wrong rose.oops. Looking for the right one and I should have wrote names...they are all mixed up :(
    Yikes !!
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Sorry, Cat, I just described the wrong rose above to you thinking that was Perle but actually that was Cecil Brunner. Okay, my Perle is very small and refused to grow . It is very slow grower that's the one I am having issues and it was my first batch roses but it does blooms. So, I had it like 1 year and 6 months.
    How did yours behave ? Was is growing normal rate ? I wonder if it happy in that location or something munching on roots but it shows no signs of anything but being a sleepy beauty.

    I found a pic which I recognized now. Sorry for the confusion.

    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Re how big it gets in CA - here is mine, at about 3 years old it is 3 1/2 ft high. However, there is a very old one 2 blocks away which is 7 ft tall by about 4 ft wide.

    Jackie

  • 7 years ago

    Mine is in full sun and got to 4 feet x 3 feet in about 2 years. I expect I will need to google up how to prune it because it seems to really like the spot. Another one about 5' away has partial shade and is pretty spindly. Normally I get the good photos early in the morning, they do fade as the day goes on but bloom bigger/more apricot in color in fall. I was surprised to see that much orange in the bottom one, usually primarily pink in the heat. And mind you that's just that little photo, the rest of the plant looks far less pretty with a bunch of spent flowers that haven't dropped yet but will.

  • 7 years ago

    I just cut off the dead blooms, but don't cut down further. Here is Z6 SE OhioRiver Valley, there's a lot of winter die-back, but it recoups by the fall. Oops! Just realized I'm talking about Cecile Brunner, but I suspect it's the same. It totally recoups it's size quickly, though.

  • 7 years ago

    Jackie, I am glad you answer Bec remember last time I wanted to dig Le Vesuve up and you told me not to. Give it time, well, it finally is growing up and puting a good growth. Now, Perla d' Or is being fussy. Sometimes I wonder if I have voles or better still grubs. I have both but the latter is being removed whenever I see it.
    I give it more time if not I will pot it up in winter . I am still debating about that and hoping it will grow like Le Vesuve which recently just started to put growth.

    Sorry about the confusion. I just realized that Cecil Brunner and Perla looks very much alike to me except the colour until I went out to check the tags. Something told me to do that. It was a good thing...haha and self correct myself.
    I don't get it about Perla since it is consider and recommended by Earth - kind rose, Aggie Horticulture. Why it is slow to grow ?
    Fruitcat and Jackie, your roses are beautiful. Love the pics . Mine is in Full sun and in ground and it should be as big as yours. This is so puzzling.
    Thanks !!

    jin

  • 7 years ago

    I don't think thrift kind refers to how bigger is a roses and the original was just for Texas. I think it's how well it can withstand drought insekten fungal predation. For some of my Bros is it takes a long time for them to get going so I've learned now to just give them time and try not to move them too much unless they're dormant or take a large root ball.

  • 7 years ago

    It's a great rose -- and one we've found in a few old cemeteries. It can achieve a good size in SoCal -- and I would plan on at least 5-ft., if it's not pruned hard (which it should not be!).

  • 7 years ago

    Jin, I too have had some roses just sit there and not grow for what seems like forever. I decided to leave them be and wait, because moving them can set them back further. I know a couple had roots eaten by gophers but were not outright killed. Others, like Devoniensis, are described by others as slow to get started. I am checking water emitters and some are not working. I have watered a few with a Fish Fertilizer tonic. Overall, it is frustrating for sure.

  • 7 years ago

    I posted a while back about the lesson I learned about deadheading 'Perle d'Or', which I'm sure would also apply to 'Mlle Cecile Brunner' -- don't cut the candelabras down to the next leaflets, because it WILL leaf out on those bare flower branches, even though you wouldn't think it will. Once I switched to just snapping off faded blooms, it built upon its candelabras and grew large. There are some pics of my plant on HelpMeFind. See the thread about it below.


    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/3282355/funny-thing-about-perle-d-or#n=19


    And, come to think of it, 'Clotilde Soupert' does the same thing.


    :-)


    ~Christopher



  • 7 years ago

    Shiela, I am so glad it is not my climate that's why I check other webs . So, I know it should grow but since you put it that way then I am not messing with it. You are right it is bizarre that it just sits there forever .
    Thank you guys :)
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    Chris, you thread is interesting. So, it is just not me. Phew !! I will read all about it and if anything, you know I will get in touch with you. Thanks !!
    jun

  • 7 years ago

    Fruitcat, I am sorry and did not want you to think I have hijack your thread. Just that your roses are so beautiful. Do you have more pics ? I think I am going to dream about your roses and Jackie's. I can't believe that mine is still ankle size and in 6 months time, it will be 2 yrs old.
    jin

  • 7 years ago

    My baby Perle d’Or just starting a second flush. It also shot up a huge candelabra of buds that I am looking forward to seeing in bloom. Thanks to this forum, I know not to cut it back much after blooms finish :-)

  • 7 years ago

    If this is your baby's first candelabra, don't cut it back at all -- at first. Just snap the faded blooms with two fingers, leave the bare stems, and wait to see where new shoots emerge. THEN decide which to keep with regards to shape and direction, and clip the rest. It is really odd, seeing those naked stems and NOT cutting them back, but there ARE buds hidden in there. Kim Rupert also mentioned to me that those bare candelabra canes are also easy to root.


    :-)


    ~Christopher

  • 7 years ago

    In all it’s candelabra glory :-) It has doubled the hight. Interestingly the buds that were dark apricot this morning are now pale pink this afternoon fully opened. It has been a sunny day here.

  • 7 years ago

    Christopher, I will just nip those buds when they finish and see how much growth it will put out.

  • 7 years ago

    Stephanie, she looks beautiful with those buds. She does have glorious candelabra doesn't she ?
    Keep us posted , pls :)
    jin