Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grifril

Inside lip of shower pan, tile not working. Help please.

grifril
4 years ago

My shower pan is small black hex with stone on the threshold. The inside of the shower pan was to be the hex as well but the tiler could not get them to match. This is what I have. Looks like a puzzle to me. Any ideas? I want to stay black. Also, my grout is actually grey but looks white with the light.

Wonder if I should go darker on the grout too.

Comments (31)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

I agree, they did a great job. You could have matched the curb material but I see no reason to tear it out since it looks finished, especially since that risks damage to the waterproofing.

grifril thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Jen Butler
    4 years ago

Gorgeous! Love it all! Beautiful tile job!

grifril thanked Jen Butler
  • PRO
    GannonCo
    4 years ago

Yes, you should have went darker but its too late now. It is an odd height for a pan but for what it is it looks well executed although it needs to be caulked.

grifril thanked GannonCo
  • grifril
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I went with the grout one color above black but when the light hits it it looks so light.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

I like it lighter because it coordinates with the outside tile and subway. If you go darker I think the whole pan will look like a black hole and too much dark with your floor tiles.

• grifril
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I guess I just envisioned more of a dark grey tile and didnt realize it would look so light with the light.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Your tile guy looks to have done an excellent job.

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

If you're sure you want it darker and you don't mind having to reapply/retouch it, you can paint the grout with sealer.

• info815122
    4 years ago

When would be the time to seal it with a darker color?

• suzyq53
    4 years ago

Before you use it. When the grout is completely clean and dry. They have limited colors in pens at Home Depot or you can get grout sealer in paint color and apply it with a tiny brush like nail polish to the grout. There are youtube tutorials. Or you can a hire a company to do it. Its easy to do.

• ci_lantro
    4 years ago

Looks great to me.

• AJCN
    4 years ago

I think it looks beautiful. I wouldn't mess with trying to change the grout color; you might ruin what looks like a really good tile installation. Look up some of the tile horror shows on this forum and you will be glad that yours looks so good.

• teddytoo
    4 years ago

Wow!!! Get tile job! Stunning choices in material. It’s interesting and a fresh idea.

• User
    4 years ago

I'd be more concerned about the voids in the grout of the subway on the wall there. The pan looks awesome.

• info815122
    4 years ago

Subway tile was not done when I took pic. But done now and I’ll post pic tomorrow

• enduring
    4 years ago

love it!

• simplechoices
    4 years ago

It looks amazing just as it is!

• anthonysci
    4 years ago

Very nice tiling job. I would have gone with same the material as the top on shower pan to give effect of clean dark pan. Do not change grout colour of base. Looks great.

• mainenell
    4 years ago

Beautiful tile job!

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

You have a choice to use a special paint..but , really it looks like a great job , well done . Live with it and see if it still bothers you in a month .

• mr_pither
    4 years ago

If you are talking about the inside vertical lip with the small tile pieces not falling in line with the floor edge pieces, it would be extremely difficult to match the ends unless each piece was custom cut to a different shape or, using the alternating shape that you have now, every second piece would be 2 pieces. As to the later, it would not look good at all..

As for grouting, you can stain the current grout but the results may not look too good or last long or you could remove the grout completely and re grout but you risk chipping the tile during removal.

I think what you have now looks fantastic and from the small photo, your tiler did an excellent job.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Awesome tile job be thankful and move on I would not get into darkening the grout its fine the way it is.

• User
    4 years ago

wow. Into the details! Adding to the chorus that it looks great as is and not worth any risk of "improving" it.

• wmsimons85
    4 years ago

I agree, great expert tiling. That border on the outside of the pan is amazing and looks perfect. Definitely shows skill.

• grifril
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for your comments. Here is the almost finished product. I am happy with the tile but we do have a few other problems we are dealing with. They sealed the grout/tile and I ended up with these horrible grease spots from them not rubbing it in all the way. They worked so long trying to get them out. buffing and some chemical and worked ok but not perfectly. They ended up regrouting and it looks great but I am worried about what will happen when they seal it again.

• cda1028
    4 years ago

I had a very wise contractor tell me, “tile and grout is always going to be a problem. Why not use a kitchen type solid surface material in the very large, tub size walk in shower you’ll have in the master bath. No grout to mildew or have to clean, thin seams to seal in the corner and you’re home free.“. It was a totally beautiful, close to maintenance free dream of a bathroom that i enjoyed every day for about six years til we sold the house and moved to a new city with a newly renovated equally spacious spa-like bathroom with lots of marble tile and grout. I spend half of every shower lamenting how the grout needs cleaning again and instead of luxuriating in the water, I grab the brush and scrub away. Sigh.

• Shirley Visser-Meier
    4 years ago

looks good to me

• Lori Privett
    4 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!

• Danette
    4 years ago

Stunning!

• sunnyvale95
    4 years ago

Can use a grout stain to darken color; buy it from a tile retail store.