Software
Houzz Logo Print
linc1164

Help - is this RRD?

While dead-heading just now, I came across this odd new growth on my Plum Perfect. As I have learned from these Forums, multiple growths from a single node is bad news. But, these don't exhibit the witch broom appearance. The thickest new stem has about the same width as the cane it came out of, not thicker. To make things more confusing, the color shown on the new leaves is correct for Plum Perfect, as I've had two bushes in different beds for the past three years. Does my beautiful Plum Perfect have RRD?


The following 3 pictures were taken from different angles of the same growths.







The picture below is another set of growths at a different node on a nearby cane.



Any advice is appreciated - thanks a million!

--Lin

Comments (11)

  • 7 years ago

    Right now it all appears like heathy new growth but I would just continue to monitor it and post updates here.

    linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ) thanked Dave5bWY
  • 7 years ago

    Hi Dave6aMO,

    Thank you for your assessment! Honestly I have never seen so many young stems coming out of the same node before. I have started to add seaweed extract into my fertilizer since last year. I read that seaweed extract stimulates growth above and below ground. I sincerely hope this exuberant growth is just a result of my heavy-handed fertilization!

    Thank you again!

    --Lin

  • 7 years ago

    Agree with maintaining vigilance.

    Sargassum seaweed extract?


    linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ) thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • 7 years ago

    Hi Rifis,

    It's Beaty's Liquid Seaweed. The label says Ascophyllum Nodosum seaweed. I order it from millsmix dot com. I read it somewhere on this Forum that seaweed extract could stimulate growth. This is the second year that I use this seaweed in combination with Mills Easy Feed, and I'm seeing a lot of new growth on the canes as well as basal breaks. It's dark now, but I will take a picture of my First Crush tomorrow after work to show you how many basals I can get with this feeding combo. :-)


    BTW, you are in NJ as well? Have you seen RRD in your area? The reason why I'm so nervous is because I've had two RRD victims in my yard, one last fall and one just a month ago. I'm hyper-sensitive now.


    --Lin



  • 7 years ago

    Hi Rifis,

    Here is a picture of the awesome new growths/basals on my First Crush, as promised. I will continue my fertilization regiment because my roses seem to respond well.

    --Lin



  • 7 years ago

    Hi Christopher,

    Thank you so much for such detailed information! It really makes sense to me!


    With a sigh of relief from getting a negative verdict for RRD from the experts on the Forums, I now plan to go inspect the canes from which these multiple growths come out of and do some judicious pruning. It totally makes sense what you said about none of these multiple stems would reach potential. So the cane should be pruned to a node at which I see a single strong growth from a single bud.


    Thank you so much again for sharing your invaluable experience!

    --Lin

  • 7 years ago

    If you are not such a perfectionist, you can just leave all the new growth and enjoy it too, Lin.

    linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago

    Hi Sheila,

    What you said is so true :-). Being just a beginner, I'm still learning to find my comfortable niche in gardening and to achieve the proper balance of contentment and ambition. Hopefully, I will get there before long :-)


    --Lin

  • 7 years ago

    No, this is really nice new growth.

    linc1164 (Zone 7a central NJ) thanked Nadya
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Nadya!

    This is just a sad example of how sensitized I am to RRD after the two cases I've had :-(