Software
Houzz Logo Print
jeanjeanremodelmachine

Our elephant in the room! (Fireplace treatment decision time)

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've posted about this before but figured an update was due.

We're closing in on decision time on what to do with our large, four-sided fireplace looming like a 16-foot sentry in the middle of our living/dining/kitchen area. We're already considerably over budget, of course, so my fantasy of covering the thing in quartzite slab is kaput. Same for Heath ceramic tile, probably. But being that it's the central feature of the house, so I do feel it deserves a special touch.

We're aiming for a contemporary style with a nod toward Mid Century Modern (without all the requisite pieces). Looking for a clean, streamlined look, hopefully without grout lines. Kitchen cabinets will be walnut + white. Floors a light honey color. No decision yet on countertops, but I'm guessing those will end up a bright white or close to it. I realize grey is popular for many contemporary fireplaces (and it would be a sensible choice since we're doing blue-grey porcelain floors in the bathrooms), but I find a lot of grey kind of depressing.

I've looked at hundreds of fireplace photos and can't seem to put my finger on the right look (realizing now that may never happen!). I prefer natural-ish materials, but metal and concrete feel too chilly and wood (or wood look) seems too rustic. Curious about plaster or other creative treatments. Would probably prefer the whole thing to be in one material (not a separate fireplace surround), and there will absolutely not be a TV on it anywhere. :) Probably not "artwork" either, though I am still pining for a small chunk of nature's art (blue quartzite). Not really feeling a need for a mantle, though I'm not totally opposed. Oh, and it's unlikely we'll actually burn anything since we live in a warm climate and try not to add to the local air pollution.

BTW, the top of the white plaster shown below is where the former ceiling ended. We raised the roof and discovered it must have been Happy Hour when the rest of the bricks were laid--they're actually far more crooked than what's evident here.







Some of the looks I've liked but not quite enough to press Go:

Interesting tile but would I tire of it?

Modern Bathroom · More Info


Like wood, but this starts feeling like a lumber yard after awhile.

Boston Street Residence · More Info


Some texture might be nice?

Sonoma County "Organic Modern" · More Info


I do like that Heath ceramic tile. Let me know if you hear of a serious sale!

Moraga Residence · More Info


Thanks for your thoughts! And I apologize if I should have just continued from my last thread. Still not sure what the Houzz protocol is on that!

Comments (12)

  • 7 years ago

    Ah, one more note: if it were up to me, I'd probably have the whole thing covered in a pretty (soft) blue-green tile. But DH is into playing it safe in regard to color and wants to go neutral, partly because we don't know how long we'll be in this house. I guess I'll start looking for pretty blue-green accent pieces!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I like all of those, but yeah re slabs...once we added up the cost of the slab, fabrication and installation...that's when paint started sounding pretty good! :-D But I am looking at a lot of large tile right now.

    Seriously thinking we should make one side a rock climbing wall (with generous foam mat underneath). We're in a family neighborhood in a town known for active living. Probably be a big plus for resale! lol


    Modern Bend Oregon Home-Kids Bedroom · More Info


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Yeah using a slab has got to cost a fortune for a fireplace. Using a large tile with very small grout lines like some of the above give the same illusion to me. They do have a very clean and simple look if that is what appeals to you. Those textured tiles you show are also very nice and give off the same modern style. A hard one! :)

    Mittens Cat thanked wmsimons85
  • 7 years ago

    Haha Mittens! That would certainly be a focal point. :)

  • 7 years ago

    "Kids, don't forget to wash up....er, climb up!....before dinner!"

  • 7 years ago

    Maybe something sculptural? I kind of like the reverse 'mantle" and it could all be done in sheetrock with a tiled/hard surface hearth.


    Mittens Cat thanked gustaviatex
  • 7 years ago

    @gustaviatex, thanks, I love that look! as you might be able to see from our original photos, I was trying to go for that style 20 years ago...but didn't get past the initial primer phase! :)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I am either confused, or stupid, or both.

    You don't plan on burning anything...it's warm. No air pollution...Is it electric? Just for ambiance?

  • 7 years ago

    @pennydesign, we live in a typically toasty coastal community. Rare need for extra warmth. Fireplace was there when we bought the house 20 years ago. We've burned candles in it but nothing else, though it is plumbed for gas. We considered giving it up, but it holds up much of the house and I figured it could double as a climbing wall some day! :-D

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Eliminate the mantle idea :) That's all I got really. But just spitballin'...

    I would probably treat it like a spot for art...but not a painting...something totally amazing...and maybe something that would cover up the whole? ...Then it becomes, almost literally, a giant frame.. Like this...and if you can access it from the back then you could rig up a light inside?



    Or it would be a great place for a waterfall or a bubble wall....





    ETA...yes the above are tacky...but there are some really beautiful ones out there....I just didn't have time to look...

  • 7 years ago

    I don't think you need to have the same treatment on all four sides. You might consider drywall with the green/blue paint that you want on the back (easy to change if you decide on something else later) and a large piece of walnut veneer to match your cabinets on the other side. Or maybe that makes the tile you liked more affordable by just tiling one side.