Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lulalawrence

need help identifying period and style for dining chairs

Lacey Lawrence
4 years ago

I bought these chairs this past weekend, not sure how I feel about them with the table but I fell in love with them and I’m determined to make it work, hopefully.
With these be considered modern? What are the characteristics that point to this style?

Comments (11)

• Oliviag
    4 years ago

lacey, the woodgrain is beautiful! I can see why you fell in love with them. There may be some maker's info on the chair seats. Sometimes handwritten model numbers, sometimes stamped. Do you see anything there?
    My guess is 1960ish, perhaps earlier, and well made.

• N Love Home
    4 years ago

pretty

• moosemac
    4 years ago

Love these chairs!

• Oliviag
    4 years ago

I, too, love these chairs. I was srawn back today, because I think the seat serms a bit " different" from the rest of the chair. Im wondering if a seat were removed, if you'd fond similar

• Oliviag
    4 years ago

Darn phone... I can't edit or delete. Wondering if a seat were removed, if you'd find similar post tops at the corners as in the top. You'll find that in some of the better Danish designs. I have a feeling that the seats are replacements, not original. But, that could just be a guess.
    great find, Lacey.

• User
    4 years ago

Are you meaning seats or seat cushions? Those cushions are unlikely to have been original with those chairs.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago

Those are very nice!

I think many people today would categorize hem as Mid Century Modern, a.k.a. MCM.

• User
    4 years ago

While most would consider them MCM there was also a period much earlier in the century that chairs similar to this were made. It may have been only a regional thing but there are some from the 20s/30s that would fit quite nicely into MCM. When I saw these with the thru posts I thought of the earlier time when makers were melding craftsman and modern styles together. Either period they are to drool for.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I think the tapered legs are an indicator. So much of MCM style was linked to space travel, and tapered, and often splayed, legs make a piece of furniture look like it's lifting off.

• mfrog
    4 years ago

Nice chairs, I see why you loved them. The back splat has a bit of a 40's vibe with the waterfall but definitely MCM with those legs etc. I would be curious to see if the front legs come up as through posts because I've never seen MCM chairs with that kind of upholstery. From your pics they look like rosewood. I love having various styles mashed up in a house. I have georgian, regency & MCM, they are work.