Software
Houzz Logo Print
becky_edmisten_hall

Floating shelf vs. shallow cabinet w/doors

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Would it look strange to have a floating shelf or storage cabinet quite a bit longer than the TV itself? I'm needing a spot to throw my keys and set my coffee as I run out the door in the mornings. Also which one do you think would be more appropriate for the space?


Comments (27)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I would go with a floating shelf.

    How much space is between the wall and the door trim?

    Becky Edmisten_Hall thanked Sativa McGee Designs
  • 7 years ago

    OK, thank you! There's 5" between the wall and the door trim.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I would do 2 separate shelves. One at about 30" off the floor that goes from the column to the end of the TV (12"D) and another at about 36" off the floor that overlaps about 1/3rd of the TV and continues to the door. (5"D)

    Becky Edmisten_Hall thanked Sativa McGee Designs
  • 7 years ago

    I would go with a cabinet. Can you give us another photo of the TV from where you view it?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Sativa just to clarify, the 12" D shelf would go from the column to the far end of the TV? Also, what color/material and style would you suggest for the shelves?

  • 7 years ago

    Shirlpp, the TV is 45" wide. I'm having a hard time finding a cabinet shallow enough to where it wont' impede the flow from the front door. Do you have any suggestions? How wide of a cabinet do you suggest?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago


    lopipopi I'm watching TV right now, so yes I can send a pic of my current view :) If anyone is thinking of watching the new Matthew McConaughey movie "Serenity" dont' do it!!!

  • 7 years ago

    When I looked at my first photo on my phone, it looked really distorted/elongated for some reason - not sure why? And for those of you that think I should go with a cabinet, what color? I'm assuming not the same color as the floor but should I do white? black? dark wood tone or blonde wood tone?

  • 7 years ago

    White cabinet with open shelf large enough to hold your electronics. All cords & cables can be hidden by "fishing" them down a stud cavity. A small entry hole (behind the TV) and another exit hole (behind the cabinet) will hide all those wires.

  • 7 years ago

    Run a floating shelf that starts narrow at the door and zooms out to the width of the wall to the left of the TV.

  • 7 years ago

    I am totally not being a smart aleck here jb but how do I get the floating shelf to zoom out? I have so much to learn!

  • 7 years ago

    I've got one of those hidden cord kits on order chiflipper. That column is a foot deep, it's quite a challenge trying to find a cabinet that wont come out past that. Any suggestions?


  • 7 years ago

    google slim console table...you'll get lots of options...with and without drawers, etc.

  • 7 years ago

    What color cabinet do you think would work since we can only see the gray wall and TV on it. Don't know what would match your furnishings.

  • 7 years ago

    Shirlpp upholstered items are new and won’t change, dining table and rug will be changed. Front door is yellow and I’ve got a small yellow secretary I’ll be putting along the wall on the other side of the beam

  • 7 years ago

    I looooove secretaries!!!!

  • 7 years ago

    I posted too quickly:

    A floating console would be nice. With doors or drawers or sliders to to hold your purse and shoes?

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I would do a cabinet - a bit of extra storage is always great!





  • 7 years ago

    For those suggesting a console or cabinet are there rules to how long it should be?

  • 7 years ago

    At least 25% longer than the TV.

    These might be too long: Ashley Mirimyn cabinet(16" depth) and Ashley Fair Ridge cabinet(3 doors, antique gray)


    And this:



  • 7 years ago

    following

  • 7 years ago

    Not knowing the “rules” ...

    Unless you want a small chair for removing your shoes or a place to hang your coat, I would make it touch the wall on the left, and extend equal distance on the right. If that’s too close to the door, keep shortening it as needed. I think it’s personal preference.

    I’m not a designer though...

  • 7 years ago

    There is no one enforcing any of these so-called "rules". Buy what you like.

    For the security of the TV, I'd get a shallow cabinet that is a just bit deeper than the TV, so that people walking by have to give it a bit of clearance. Plus, it would hide the cords and give you space for the front and center speakers in the surround-sound system that you know you want. ;-)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I don't know of any rules - I just don't like equal and I try not to have something get so close to a wall or corner that it is hard to clean there... Whatever you choose has to be visually appealing to you..

  • 7 years ago

    I prefer the look of a shallow console longer than the tv. The tv should be mounted at eye level to a seated adult, and the cords hidden if possible.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Yes I would just make it out of simple white boards, each shelf maybe 3" thick?