Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cinderella75

Built In Dog Crate

Cindy Breitwieser
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We are putting the finishing touches on our new home and one of the final selections is picking the "insert" for the built in dog crates. These are cabinets with the face currently left open (i.e. where you would normally insert a glass piece). I'm looking for ideas of what to use that can stand up to dogs potentially chewing on it that wouldn't cut their gums (although we haven't had that problem but better safe than sorry) and that of course they can see out of... suggestions?

Comments (30)

• new-beginning
    4 years ago

I would think you might want to insert some sort of removable kennel - otherwise how the heck will you get it clean when the dog 'has a problem'? i.e. upchucks, pees or poops? At least with a removeable kennel there is something on the bottom to 'catch' the mess.

• Cindy Breitwieser
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes exactly - like the front of a crate.

• chispa
    4 years ago

I'm just going to have a bare spot in the laundry room where I can place a large crate. Maybe under a countertop. Built-in crates look really cool, but I prefer something I can drag outside, if necessary, to get it really clean. One of my dogs would probably think that any wood parts would be great to chew on.

Search for laser cut metal panels as possible inserts.

• doc5md
    4 years ago

Hog fence?

• localeater
    4 years ago
  • PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    4 years ago

Buy and install a regular metal mesh crate in the opening which can be removed for cleaning. Also buy a regular cloth covering for the crate which you can cover the opening when desired. Both are available over the Internet.

• Joe T.
    4 years ago

i have 4 great danes. my house is their crate. LOL

Four of these goofy beasts? Holy dogpile—that's gotta be some great chaos!

We have one Great Dane and our house is the crate as well.

• nannygoat18
    4 years ago

My ex-trainer has 4 GD's. She uses them as lounges.

• Ninapearl
    4 years ago

Four of these goofy beasts? Holy dogpile—that's gotta be some great chaos!

We have one Great Dane and our house is the crate as well.

LOL! mine are seniors so the only chaos is usually when somebody comes to the door and they are all vying for attention. :)

three rescues and one retired show dog all with very different personalities but they definitely share the "goofy" gene!

• My House
    4 years ago

Build the cabinets large enough for the dimensions of a removable crate. This will allow you to clean the crate with ease. I'm sorry, but although decorative, the aluminum sheeting posted above might endanger your pet -nails may get caught -paw pads cut too, as it is not designed for animal usage.

• nini804
    4 years ago

OMG Ninapearl!!! That pic is priceless!! It’s like a game....how many GD’s can you spot in this pic?? ;) I’m only seeing 3...unless that is one kinda hidden/camouflaged on that beige dog bed on the left! His buddy looks like he just collapsed on the floor next to the bed, lol!!

• Ninapearl
    4 years ago

that is one kinda hidden/camouflaged on that beige dog bed on the left

yup, that's olivia. she is 12.3 years old (rescued at 8). the sprawled out one is eden, she is 6 and is a retired show dog, she's been with me for 3 years and is a perpetual puppy! the one on the couch is destiny, 10 years old (rescued at 6). last but not least is jorah, he is 8 years old and saturday will be his 1 year "gotcha day" with us. he was born in the ukraine, lived in chicago for a few years and when his owner had to move back, she surrendered him to a dane rescue i work with as it would have cost a small fortune to fly him back. for the 11 years i've been rescuing danes, my rule was always 3 at a time as my limit. jorah's pictures kept calling my name and when i met him, i fell instantly in love as did all 3 of the girls. the rest is history! :)

he is the typical silly dane boy! went sound asleep before his butt could catch up with him. LOL

• nini804
    4 years ago

I love them all!!! How wonderful of you to open your home to these giant sweeties!

• Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse
    4 years ago

That first pic made me think that your dogs were melting. :P Given the heatwave(s) recently, I've melted/the mister has melted/the kiddos have melted/the dog has decided to sleep as close to me as possible if not directly on top of me which is part of the reason for my melting...

;)

• hummingbird678
    4 years ago

I agree with others who say make the space big enough to stick a real dog crate into it. For one, these crates are tried and true for individual owners, vet clinics, boarding facilities, etc - for a long time.

Also, as someone who has had to squeeze into kennels on the floor level to clean them, I guarantee you'll appreciate being able to pull them out so you can raise them to a more comfortable level and take a hose to them.

You might also find times when it's just hot out, and you don't want to crank up the AC as high - you can leave the crate pulled out to help give them extra airflow. An area enclosed on all sides but one can quickly become warmer than the surrounding environment.

• Ninapearl
    4 years ago

I love them all!!! How wonderful of you to open your home to these giant sweeties!

thanks! i'm making up for lost time. i had wanted a dane from the time i was little. i just wish people would realize that the cute 20# puppy will eventually grow to be at least 100# bigger. rescues are overflowing with these guys because people buy on impulse too often!

the dog has decided to sleep as close to me as possible if not directly on top of me which is part of the reason for my melting...

i'm right there with ya! the heat has been oppressive and the humidity here (illinois) makes it pretty much unbearable. i have a king size bed with a twin bed at the foot. jorah is the only one of my dogs that never showed any interest in being on the furniture but the girls like to sleep with me and it isn't good enough to just be in the same bed, they must be touching me. the struggle is real! :D

• Mrs Pete
    4 years ago

This picture makes perfect sense to me ... because it's adaptable. If you "downsize" to one dog or no longer use crates, you could (very cheaply) cover this space with a curtain on a spring rod.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

That is IMO the best if you have to have crates. I have 3 big dogs and my house is also their crate our Pyrenees thinks a crate is to drag around the house so crates here.

• Joe T.
    4 years ago

Gil, our 3 year old Dane is trying to get me to give her a belly rub

• My House
    4 years ago

Have you considered giving your furbaby his/her own room in the unused space under the stairs?

Or a table stable ?

• nhbaskets
    4 years ago

My brother built a crate for our 15 lb. fur baby in our mud nook. We purchased the grate online after seeing a display when visiting Ohio. Door slides open. Our Bingo loves his space.

This is the grate

The inspiration.

During construction.
    Finished product.

• Mrs Pete
    4 years ago

NHBaskets, that's really nicely done!

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    4 years ago

I'm sorry but seeing those enclosures makes me sad. A dog is part of the family, not a pair of boots to put away. :(

• hummingbird678
    4 years ago

murraysmom, for most dogs, their crate is a place of safety and security. Many prefer to go to their crates to avoid any chaos that's happening. And if they're home alone, many dogs prefer being locked in their crates because then they don't feel "responsible" for the entire house, and it reduces their stress level. It's not sad, it's recognizing that dogs have different psychological needs than we do, and meeting those needs - rather than trying to make them conform to ours.

• nhbaskets
    4 years ago

Hummingbird is correct. Our Bingo loves his crate! When used correctly, crates provide safety for our fur babies. https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/crate-training-101

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    4 years ago

I have no problem with crating. I agree it makes them feel secure. My issue is with putting the crate under stairways or hidden away somehow. Most crates are in the living area of the home so the dog is still part of the family. I guess it's a personal preference.

• hummingbird678
    4 years ago

The vast majority of the time, crates are used when no one is home. So it's not separating the dog from the family. When people have crates available while at home, it's usually with the door open to allow the dog the choice to move into it for peace and quiet, or leave to be with the family. If the dog chooses to go in there, it's usually because the family is being too chaotic, and he needs a break. So some separation is a good thing.

• doods
    4 years ago

Cinderella any photos or comments for us?