scarpullagirl

Paining a garage door...Blue, white or brown?

Cor Cor

Or is there another color that may be fitting for a Spanish vibe? The front door is wood.

• Laurie Tillett

I’m voting for the blue...if not that, then brown. No white....its blah

• Anne Duke

I love the brown with your front door. Then I’d put a large blue pot under the house numbers, or maybe plant and train bougainvillea over the garage from both sides.

• ci_lantro

Blue.

• nester44

I think the brown looks best, especially with your brown front door. The other two are too jarring to me.

• smitrovich

Use the same brown that's on the exterior trim. I like that color blue, but not on your garage. Your front door should be a focal point, not the garage door.

• Kathleen Kirchoff

Either the blue or brown will work. If you chooes the blue it needs to be repeated in a couple more places like planters or house numbers. Sante Fe houses sometimes have those blue or more aqua/turquoise shades for window trim. I love blue but in these case the brown fits the trim work. I would add blue tile accents for house numbers and porch decor.

BeverlyFLADeziner

I would suggest a special finish on the garage door to match your front door.

It's a glaze over a paint.

• KK1000

Paint it like red roof tile RED

Helenscolour

I like the idea of the bougainvillea as suggested by @Anne Duke. Also bringing in some coloured tiles as in this pic would be softening to the exterior of your home.. Perhaps separating off your garage with some landscaping as done here. Definitely your garage door should marry up with your front door, which is beautiful by the way!

Spanish Revival · More Info

• scottishus

The idea of glaze over paint is perfect for what you are trying to achieve.

• teamaltese

Match the front door. If you’re in. Deed restricted community, you’ll probably be repainting the blue!

• njmomma

following

IMO the blue looks tacky use the same as the front door and I agree if you love the blue use it for accents

• Elaine Ricci

I'm not a pro. However, you're just painting an existing garage door, I'd go with the blue, which provides a lovely and lively burst of color. Otherwise, a wooden garage door (maybe cedar) would look nice.

• Elaine Ricci

Here are some examples of wooden garage doors.

Full Wood Garage Door · More Info

The Cliffs at Walnut Cove: Elliot Residence · More Info

Home Front Yards · More Info

Clopay Products · More Info

Hideaway · More Info

• Beth Goss

How did you take picture of your house and add the various garage door colors? I have the same dilemma and would love to do this.

• Cor Cor

Great minds. We added the Saltillo and Malibu tile to the plain concrete landing and painted the gate turquoise a few years ago.
    I think the garage had to be wood or hand painted faux wood to match the front door

• Cor Cor
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>@Beth Photoshop for iPad
    RL Relocation LLC

faux paint it to look like wood and add some black metal details. I live in SO Cal and that is the ticket to a complete look on these style houses. Because the garage should not be a OMG look at that giant blue garage door. it should be wow look at that Spanish bungalow. lol.

BeverlyFLADeziner

Remember you can ONLY use acrylic water base paint on a metal garage door to not void your warranty.

• Cor Cor
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I love all the commentary. Clearly there’s a brown team vs blue team. Team white is out! Put in a call to my pro painter for a quote.
  • jbtanyderi

Why highlight a basic utility?!? Match the garage door to the wall colour. Instead highlight the porch and the slope between the other two roof levels.

• Lidia

Brown. Add the teal or blue as ceramic flower pots, glass slag lighting, pillows and patio furniture cushions or... if you love the color.

• legattkm

Blue, definitely!!!

• tatts

The absolute last thing you want to do is draw attention to that, utilitarian roll-up door on the vehicle storage facility. The white is insipid next to the pale house color and the blue and brown both just draw attention to something that should not have attention drawn to it.

If it were a real wood door, then, fine; finish it as natural wood. But it's not; it's a home center door with plastic window frame inserts.

Paint it to match the house and draw as little attention to it as possible.

Fuse Architects, Inc.

Match the finish on the front door.

RL Relocation LLC

Your front door is absolutely beautiful. One day when funds permit, a wood door would be a great addition to your home. I think getting if faux can work for now, I also think it would be hard to match to the house and might just end up one shade off.

• Cor Cor
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>I feel like most of you guys. I have no idea why builders feel the need to make the garage door the centerpiece of the house. And why did they choose white
  • Cor Cor

Thank you so much R.L.!

• Cor Cor

Trying again to post the pic...

RL Relocation LLC

^^^ as I suspected that almost looks more obvious to me ! You would need to go to a creamy color to match not a white, but I say see if there are some good faux painters in your area and then weigh that cost against a new door.

Helenscolour

Your front entrance comes off the driveway in front of the garage focus! Redirecting your path away from the garage side and screening off the garage would really help here I believe!

RL Relocation LLC

I am curious what screening off the garage means?

• Sandybean

Same color as stucco.

• Cor Cor

I’m curious about the screen too Helen. A visual would help.
    If the walkway didn’t route from the driveway, it would have to route to the sidewalk then we’d have to get out of our car and walk across grass to get to the walkway?

Helenscolour

Suggest stepping stones as a cost effective method from sidewalk.

Helenscolour

RL, by screening off the garage I mean extending the house wall with a screen of climbing bougainvillea for example. Then make a focus with new entry to the house from the sidewalk with planting and stepping stones.

• Cor Cor

Thank you Helen!

Helenscolour

Thanks Cor Cor, I hope something like this could work for you...something like the photo I posted a few days ago.

Helenscolour

On 12th August!