hartcm08

A house that does not feel Like home

hartcm08
last year

After losing on two homes due to us being outbid. we Found something we both kinda like. My husband likes this house a lot but I hate the front and have no vision to on how to love it. Please help any ideas are Welcome. My realtor said it was a farm house.

Comments (432)

• hartcm08
    Original Author
    12 months ago

Our attempt at a cut flower garden

our veggie garden..

we have painted the porch, added lighting, took down 3 trees and are currently staining the deck. It is a labor of love. I am finally starting not to hate our home.

we are considering painting the brick a dark grey to better tie into the home.. any thoughts there?

thank you all for being a wealth of support during very tough times.

• maggieq
    12 months ago

I always look forward to your updates. And I think you have the home you wanted. Do keep sharing!

hartcm08 thanked maggieq
  • katinparadise
    12 months ago

It looks just lovely. Your physical investment in making the home yours will become an emotional investment as well and you'll look back soon and wonder how you could have hated it. You're making memories with each thing you do!

hartcm08 thanked katinparadise
  • happyleg
    12 months ago

What br ICK where?

hartcm08 thanked happyleg
  • l pinkmountain
    12 months ago

TV placement not necessarily the worst issue. The stand isn't doing the room any favors. Good suggestions on remedies.

Great example of how you can slowly but surely make your house a home. I had quite a few issues at my last house, but was able to solve quite a few over time, which was a nice feeling.

• nhb22
    12 months ago

From the last posted photo of your home, I am seeing a beautiful family home with happy children!!! All the decor (though I do love what you have achieved) will not replace treasured memories with your family. Take the summer off from updates, sit back and relax, and just enjoy the fruits of your labor...the kids more so than the house.

That garden will be a great family project!

hartcm08 thanked nhb22
  • mileve
    12 months ago

What color did you use on the front door? So pretty!

• hartcm08
    Original Author
    12 months ago

Small patio update.

😬

• hartcm08
    Original Author
    12 months ago

In progress...

• hartcm08
    Original Author
    12 months ago

@happyleg here is the brick I am speaking of, old photos

@maggieq& @katinparadise thank you so much!!

• happyleg
    12 months ago

I would stain it the charcoal I think that stays on better than paint constant maintenance

• happyleg
    12 months ago

I love that patio that's gonna look great you could do that stain like I said but I do like that red brick its contrasts with the roof but whatever you want

• happyleg
    12 months ago

Yeah that read goes with that Redwood part of the deck

• happyleg
    12 months ago

The house brick goes good with the deck that's what my phone was supposed to say goes with the Redwood

• suezbell
    12 months ago

Would not paint brick since anything painted will, inevitably need to be repainted. The whitewash look is as bad as flecking/peeling paint. If you truly want your brick darker, you might consider stain but just power washing exterior brick -- something you'd need to do before any paint or stain might make exterior brick look better.

You could try setting your tv and stand diagonally at the corner with the corner and tv creating an empty triangle space behind the tv.

Really like your wrap around front porch and yard.

Consider planting planting Thrift or Creeping Phlox on the slope beside your driveway.

[In Zone 7, Liriope with its foot+ high purple spikes of flowers each spring, stays vertical throughout the growing season, then "relaxes" to be a more flat plant after the first hard frost but, with its winter relaxed green still in place, perks up with new center growth and blooms each spring. The plants, albeit slowly, do get a little bit wider each year, eventually enabling you to thin them and put more plants elsewhere.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/ATdDi5eAzWbOrGyfRkgFti8GXp1Eo9I_yUxZWj3RZ9f71aJRXofBoSg/

If you prefer something more solid, you might consider outlining your driveway on the left (front yard) side of it. It is something you could do over time, buying several blocks at a time that you could haul home in your car trunk.

You could pour a concrete sidewalk and/or use the sturdier 4" concrete cap blocks (in lieu of thinner and more easily breakable pavers because you can expect someone to drive on them) in a way that prevents erosion or traffic from creating a bare place alongside your driveway.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/16-in-x-8-in-x-4-in-Light-Weight-Concrete-Block-Solid-L04081600030000000/312064976

You could have the blocks outlining your driveway sloped -- similar to this but using more durable blocks in case a car tire drives over it): https://www.hometalk.com/32526416/keep-that-mulch-off-your-driveway-with-a-clean-crisp-edge?expand_all_questions=1

hartcm08 thanked suezbell
  • hartcm08
    Original Author
    12 months ago

The current color or the charcoal stain idea? @happyleg

• happyleg
    12 months ago

Yeah decide which color you want the brick cause the red goes with the deck and the charcoal calls with your roof

• happyleg
    12 months ago

If you painted or stain it there's Maintenance

• tcufrog
    12 months ago

What is your TV stand made of? Can it be painted? If you paint it white it will look much better because it will disappear into the wainscotting. Right now it really stands out and draws attention to itself which makes the problem worse.

hartcm08 thanked tcufrog
  • hartcm08
    Original Author
    12 months ago

I can paint it.

• hartcm08
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Thoughts? On shutter colors?

• happyleg
    11 months ago

Black.

• Kathy Furt
    6 months ago

I think North Carolina is the cheapest state in the nation? Living in the Bay Area of california, that house would be well over $2m

hartcm08 thanked Kathy Furt
  • happyleg
    6 months ago

Happy Holidays to you & family. Stop in here with any updates. :)

• hartcm08
    Original Author
    last month

A small update. We planted a delightful hydrangea tree in our front bed.

Our neighbors always comment how they look forward to seeing our home on walks. They also comment in all its years our home has never looked this good. It is still a labor of love.

• hartcm08
    Original Author
    last month

@Kathy Furt Here the average home, well at least when we looked was between 160 and 190k. That’s where most middle class families were looking to purchase. Some between 200-220k and then the demand changed closer to 250k plus. Our home was a bit over 200k. Homes in our neighborhood are now selling for 250k + and those home are smaller than ours and need some TLC.

• hartcm08
    Original Author
    last month

• hartcm08
    Original Author
    last month

An update of our basement turned play loft.

Before

After

• hartcm08
    Original Author
    last month

Update of our sons room.

Before

after

• Angel 18432
    last month

Wow Looks like you have really made it your home.

hartcm08 thanked Angel 18432
  • Michele
    last month

You knocked it right out of the park!!! It’s absolutely wonderful. Looks like a welcoming, loving home. 100%

hartcm08 thanked Michele
  • Olychick
    last month

It's all wonderful! You can see with all the love and attention to detail you've put into it that it's no longer a "House That Does Not Feel Like Home."

hartcm08 thanked Olychick
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    last month
    last modified: last month

FANTASTIC home and yard! Rooms are AWESOME! Great job!

hartcm08 thanked LB Interiors
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

Great job! Good for YOU!!!

hartcm08 thanked JAN MOYER
  • happyleg
    last month

Nice & he should be happy playing. :)

• hartcm08
    Original Author
    last month

@JAN MOYER I am so pleased to see you responded. In my kitchen I gave a small plant, the planter says bloom where you are planted. I often look at it, & think of this chat thread that was most encouraging during such a stressful time. ;)

• barncatz
    last month

It looks beautiful! That night photo is gorgeous and your rooms!! Just darling.

hartcm08 thanked barncatz
  • Kathy Furt
    last month

Your home is beautiful. I would be thrilled to live there and raise a family there! It’s perfect

• cawaps
    last month

Thank you for coming back and updating us. You sounded so discouraged when you first posted, and it's been delightful to see your house and your attitude about it turn around. You've really created something to be proud of!

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last month

I do think "Bloom where you are planted" was on a lot of accessories from Mary Engelbreit.. Another? " Life's a chair of bowlies" Mmmmmmmm Now I must look. ( yup )

I had a mug for years with: "No matter where you go, there you ARE"

To me it simply means put the you in your "wherever. " You certainly did that !

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last month

Every time you post a new photo I am so happy for you @hartcm08! Your house is indeed turning into a home, and I congratulate you for your work--it looks wonderful! Enjoy these precious years with your family.

hartcm08 thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Kathy Furt
    last month

I don’t know if you moved very far, but it is very stressful to move. We left a beloved neighborhood of 31 years for a more rural setting to cash out of our Silicon Valley house. It’s been quite the struggle

• hartcm08
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you everyone for your kind uplifting words

• hartcm08
    Original Author
    last month

Update-

Man, this home is a lot of work. We have begun power-washing the brick-which has not been done in year's. I see the red tint more and am happy with the deck stain which keeps peeling. I was told it is due to how damp this area is with the lack of light. I discovered this week the lot extends back behind the tree line. The horror show I saw back there reminded me of why I was not in huge favor of this home. Apparently, no one who has owned this home in 33 years has ever done more than mow when needed. Such a huge property poorly maintained. 😞 Going to do our best to keep our head up, excuse my rambling.

• happyleg
    last month

Our home was like that & had rain coming in basement. We use a stain on wood instead of paint. Don't hold power wash too long in one spot.

• Massiel Heffner
    last month

Woah the house is gorgeous and it has really great bones. You’ve already done an amazing job. Congrats!
    I wrote this article on how to decorate your house like a professional for free. I think you’d find it very useful:

https://rnovationsplus.com/5-genius-ways-to-decorate-your-house-like-a-pro-for-free/

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last month

Wow, @Massiel Heffner, I just read your blog post and see that you are a registered nurse. Maybe I should write an article about how to diagnose and treat your illnesses for free! Just go on the internet, find a nurse whose brain you can pick, and download a free software package on how to take your own blood and give yourself vaccines! All for free! Why bother with school when it's all available FREE on the web???

• Massiel Heffner
    last month

Hi @Diana Bier Interiors, LLC I didn’t mean to be disrespectful to your profession with the post. I apologize if it came across that way. You have to remember though that the post is for people who cannot afford to pay for these services and so looking for ideas and inspiration online is the next best thing for them. I write for a very specific group of people who fit this category. I’m not devaluating the profession but more so sharing alternatives. The same way I’d share different alternatives with my patients when they come to me and say they don’t have insurance and can’t pay for traditional healthcare services. I direct them to find cheaper and budget-friendly alternatives. We teach people how to self-inject for example with this in mind. We also teach people how to lose weight in the hopes they can achieve their goals and not have to use our services again! -this is what we strive to accomplish when we choose to help people, don't you agree? This is also why DYIs are so popular these days— not because we don’t want to pay someone to do it for us but because sometimes we just can’t afford it or it's not within our budgets. Again, I apologize if you were offended and I hope you can see my perspective.

• HereWeGoAgain (Z9)
    last month

@hartcm08 Wow. Your house is amazing. You’ve done a fabulous job. Honestly looks like something I’d see on a designer blog. There’s nothing sad or dreary about it. You definitely have a knack for making things pretty. I hope you are able to feel some “happy” living there!

hartcm08 thanked HereWeGoAgain (Z9)
  • kculbers
    last month

You made some great changes ❣️I hope you learn to love your home more and more as you continue to add your personality to it❣️

hartcm08 thanked kculbers