Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hkwan

STAIN ON THRESHOLD in MARBLE

hkwan
4 years ago

We just completed our renovation, In our bathroom we installed a marble threshold ( the base of our glass door). I just noticed there is a marked stain ( it looks like from the calcium from the water). Never had any problem before with marble, it get stain due to contact with water often. Anyone can help me how to clean or take off this stain please?

Comments (14)

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

Marble stains and etches and chips. That’s normal. It’s just marble being marble.

• wacokid
    4 years ago

Okay wheeler marble stains, can it be cleaned?

• remodeling1840
    4 years ago

The only time it is seen is when the door is open. Get on with your life. This isn’t important.

• hkwan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

remodling1840, I am only trying to figure out how to clean the stain so try to give me a decent comment- I have gone through 1 year of renovation with a bully contractor, a painter who ruined our built in cabinet and run away, unfinished yard since 2018, a person who ruined our outdoor electrical outlet and refused to finish our yard, a landscaper who lied to us;; cashed out our deposit- promised to return some money in 4 installments until now only received 1- so YES I try to get on with my life-

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Back in the day my parents purchased their first end tables. They had marble insets. Mom spent the REST OF HER LIFE trying to keep people from putting glasses down on that marble to keep the inevitable round stains away. What a PITB!!! Poor choice of product for the job. You will have to learn to live with it. People clomped on to marble and other "natural" products w/o really understanding the nature of them. Function always comes first over LOOK in my world. Good luck with your hunt. We all understand your disappointment.

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    4 years ago

You can try removing it with a paste made from baking soda and water -- you want to achieve a consistency of sour cream. When applied, cover with plastic wrap and leave it like that for 24 hours. The baking soda should dry and draw the stain (hopefully all of it). After you remove the wrap, wash the spot using the mixture of mild water and mild soap. You can repeat the process if needed. Another recommended way is to use a mixture of unbleached flour, liquid dish washing detergent, and water. Again, you want the consistency of sour cream. The process is the same. Also, have in mind that marble is a natural stone perfect for those who love patina, so give your best to improve things, but it would be great if you could learn to love its unique charms.

Good luck!

hkwan thanked Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
  • thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

That same thing happened to ours and I just embrace the fact that it’s marble (we bought a house with 20 yr old marble and hardwater / softener). If you aren’t already - squeegee your shower AND sills after every shower. Getting rid of the standing water should help it from progressing further. Sorry to hear your renovation story. Best wishes on future work!

hkwan thanked thinkdesignlive
  • User
    4 years ago

@hkwan, "I have gone through 1 year of renovation with a bully contractor, a painter who ruined our built in cabinet and run away, unfinished yard since 2018, a person who ruined our outdoor electrical outlet and refused to finish our yard, a landscaper who lied to us;; cashed out our deposit- promised to return some money in 4 installments until now only received 1 "

Looks like you gotta start learning how to do this stuff on your own. Painting isn't hard at all. You can at least do that.

• hkwan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Tony, we did paint the rest of the new areas and old sections when the painter decided not coming back (was part of the contract with the painter), sanding the ruined built in cabinet. We got it them done in 2 weeks -painting daily after work and weekend. We decide we will fix our yard by ourselves. When the hardwood floor bulky cause of the contractor's error, we paid the materials in order for them to come back and fixed them. I understand what "working together" but the end of the project the owner of the company changed their tone to us-a little bit nicer. No hard feeling, we just want to get it done and get what we paid for. We did not even pick the lowest bid at all- still facing a lot of unnecessary drama because we trusted one of the worker too much.

• wacokid
    4 years ago

hkwan, these commenters are just like your contractor, you can't win!!!! They do it to everyone, they don't have their own work...

hkwan thanked wacokid
  • cpartist
    4 years ago

Try the paste solution. If not maybe the thing to do is to etch the entire surface so it becomes a honed surface and then etches will be less noticeable. I have marble in my master and I honed all the tiles before having them adhered.

hkwan thanked cpartist
  • remodeling1840
    4 years ago

I’m sorry you took my comment as hurtful. But natural materials have a tendency to be prima donnas. Linen wrinkles, wool is very hot, leather shoes stain in the rain, soapstone scratches, marble stains. Many of us like the charm and cachet of natural, while others spend time and money to disguise those “flaws”. I have, by choice, soapstone counters. I know eventually someone at a party will try to cut bread with a serrated knife directly on my countertop, because it happened at my previous house. That’s life and I just had to shrug and move on. I once had a homeowner who ordered her master bath custom beveled mirror one inch too tall. She was literally hysterical because the door trim and the top of the mirror were not in alignment! She called her contractor at four in the morning, sobbing. He paid to replace it even tho’ she had been the one who had given him the original measurements. All I was trying to convey was to not spend valuable time trying to make a minor stain a major project.

• ecm123
    4 years ago

I’m not sure you can get rid of that mark but going forward a good coat of marble sealer may help. I see a big difference since I started sealing my bathroom floor. The water or other spills bead up and I just wipe the floor dry most mornings. I do reseal at least twice a year. I also don’t use a harsh cleaner on the floor.