Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_591116796

Best alcove tub and waterproofing approach for a shower/tub wet room?

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm looking for the latest ideas/caveats for installing an alcove tub in a wet room (shower area plus tub). Total enclosure dimensions would be 5'6" x 5'0" x 8' high, so the tub could be placed on either wall depending on tub length (the longer wall is an exterior wall with a window). This is for a guest bathroom which will be used by adults and kids, but we want to make it very usable by our ageing parents - my mother in law only takes baths, but father in law only showers and has mobility issues so we want to avoid him having to step into a tub to shower (hence the wet room idea as we don't have the space for a separate tub and shower layout). We want to keep costs down for the tub itself, so want to avoid cast iron (higher cost and weight), and I assume undermount/drop-in tubs will be a lot more expensive to install/finish than standard alcove tubs? I did come across the American Standard Studio fold over edge acrylic/fiberglass alcove tub (photo attached), which seems like a decent option to allow us to tile the front apron for better waterproofing in a wet room, but it only comes in 60"x30" length (which is OK, but it would be nice to know if there are any workable 66" long tubs we could consider).


american standard fold over edge tub - Google Search · More Info


So basically I'm wondering what the latest recommendations are for the type of alcove tub to use in a wet room and how to effectively waterproof it. Any ideas appreciated!

Comments (5)

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    As a Certified Aging in Place Specialist, the first recommendation would be to design something else. :-) Please. This is not ever a budget friendly job. It requires the top notch GC, tile installer, plumber, and design professional in your area. All familiar with each other and working together. It’s a “designer” approach, more than it is a practical approach.

    A lower cost alternative to the complicated extra large wet area combo would be to install one of the walk in tubs with a shower system. You would have the additional advantage of the medical hydrotherapy in such a tub, which can help to ease aches and pains. Yes, those run 15-25K by the time that project is completed. That will still be less than a 25 square foot combo wet area by the time everything is accounted for. Like the structural and plumbing. And the applied waterproofing system.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    @User thanks very much for your quick reply and suggestions. We aren't interested in walk-in tubs as my mother in law likes soaking in a regular tub, and this is for a guest bathroom so we also want the tub to be usable for other guests, including kids. We are gutting an older home so everything will be built new, including this bathroom, so we will be working with a GC who has top notch subs for tile, plumbing, etc. Our goal is to have both a tub and separate shower in the guest bathroom without needing to make the entire room larger (hence the wet room idea), and we do want a beautiful look in addition to fitting our practical needs/goals. So I'm really not looking for pros and cons of wet rooms so much as specific suggestions for the type of bathtub and waterproofing approach we should use for a wet room.

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    This is a difficult thing to throw out into the internet for suggestions because it is so locale and site specific as to the construction methods and materials availability. I can think of 4 methods right off the bat, but not 4 contractors that would agree that they would actually do all of the 4. Contractors have their preferences and comfort zones. Plus the varied skill levels.

    Your GC and design team would be the ones to have a sit down conference with to discuss their preferred products and processes in order to accomplish your desires. If a trade is out of their wheelhouse on this, they should be afforded the opportunity to research it enough to indicate if it’s requirements or suggested materials work for them. And to decline the job if it isn’t. Your design team has to communicate and mesh well with your trades team.

    Once a course of action has been decided, and products recommended, then a post to double check the processes as being correct and sufficient may relieve your mind that you chose your team well. Good luck with your project!

  • 5 years ago

    Hi Courtney,

    Wondering what you ended up doing? I'm looking for something similar ( shower / alcove tub wet room) wondering if found a shower base and tub combo kit etc

  • 2 years ago

    I am 69 and can still climb into a soaking tub, thank you very much, I wanted to use one with a fold-over edge or a tile-ready skirt, but I had 60x30 and not an inch more so I opted for a Kholer Underscore, I studied many alcove tubs and this one held the most water and I can soak up to the neck with outstretched legs. It has clean lines, I appreciate that.