Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_391474507

Can we install Supercore Xtreme by ourselves?

HU-391474507
4 years ago

Looking to do a small job (about 300 sq feet) with Supercore Xtreme from WeShipFloors.com. We aren't the handiest people in the world, but my husband is determined to do this ourselves. It will be installed on a concrete floor that is in good shape. How do you cut this product? Will it click together nicely? What sort of under flooring (if any) do we need? Any other tips? THANKS.

Comments (19)

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    4 years ago

Just follow manufacturer installation guidelines, when ordering the floor ask what is the appropriate material for underlayment.

As installation goes it's not that hard to install once you get a hang-of-it, not to mention you can find some videos online.

• HU-391474507
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you!

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

First: Down-load the installation instructions, print them off and study them every night before you go to bed and once when you wake up in the morning. Every time you find a word or concept you do NOT understand, you will google it and find out what it means.

Next you will find out what a 'flatness' rating is and how to measure for it (go ahead and purchase a 10ft level....you're going to need it). While you are figuring out the installation instructions (because they are written for the flooring professional, they will have many terms that 'sound' like normal words but have DEFINITIONS that are hidden within the building industry nomenclature), you will practice measuring out the concrete slab to find out how much subfloor preparation you have in front of you.

If your concrete used to have carpet over top, you will need to level it. If it was a basement slab with NOTHING over top of it (just left as-is where-is) then you have some leveling to do. If this is in a kitchen area covered by sheet product, you will have some leveling to do.

If you have leveling to do, you will go ahead and google 'how to level concrete flooring'. You will watch and study all of those videos re: grinding and filling (don't forget to prime!) while you are working out all the hidden concepts in your installation guide.

Whew. Now that you have taken 4-6 weeks teaching yourself the flooring industry, you are welcome to start practicing what you have learned. Start with the prep.

Remember: Safety first = goggles; dust mask; low-tack tape and clear sheeting (to tape off vents and to tape off door ways to prevent dust from moving through the home); dust booties so you don't track all that dust through the home. And it is always handy to have multiple furnace filters/air filters on hand to switch out every few days so that you keep your vents clean and happy.

A shop-vac is a MUST HAVE when doing this type of work (another purchase if you don't already have it). A power drill with a 'mixing bit' for your Self-Leveling Concrete (SLC = which is NOT self leveling...not even close). Trowels for the SLC. The 10 gallon buckets at HD are super handy to mix the SLC.

Once you have the SLC on the floor and drying (remember to stick with the thickness allowance stated on the bag - don't go too thin or it cracks...don't go too thick or it cracks). Check the level and get ready to grind the floor once more. Switch out your air filters regularly.

Whew. And you don't even have the floor installed.

Personally my time (and my physical well being) is worth more to me than the money it would cost to have this done professionally. But then again I'm happy to give someone else some work so they can continue making a living in the trade they have chosen to make their career.

To make a long answer even longer, the answer is yes you can install this yourselves. But your statement "...aren't the handiest people in the world" is the hint. It tells me a marriage counselor is going to be in your future. And those counselors are MUCH more expensive than a flooring professional.

HU-391474507 thanked SJ McCarthy
  • Liya
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

My husband and I are about 90% through our 1250 sq ft install of Supercore Oak Gunstock. We've never used a power tool in our lives, but you just have to read the instructions, make google and youtube your best friends, practice good safety measures and think about what you are doing, and you'll quickly get the hang of it. Good luck!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5775587/narrowed-my-lvp-flooring-choice-to-these-2#n=26

HU-391474507 thanked Liya
  • HU-391474507
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I should have maybe mentioned this floor is in remote lakefront cottage. There's no such thing as hiring a flooring expert. Lol. Trust me on that!

• mzdee
    4 years ago

We are in the process of installing 700 as ft of Kryptonite. Call weshipfloors with questions. They are awesome. We didn't use an underlay over concrete as we were told we didn't need it. We're about 60% done and we agree. It is stunning. You're going to do this and you're going to love it.

HU-391474507 thanked mzdee
  • PRO
    WeShipFloors
    4 years ago

GN BUilders,

You cannot use additional underlayment under SUPERcore or any other SPC or WPC.

Installation is pretty easy and we're going to make it even easier in the future!

Alan Ward

CEO

WeShipFloors.com

• worthy
    4 years ago

So which is it, SJ?

Four to six weeks learning and harder than Heck?

Or "pretty easy," as per WeShipFloors' CEO, which you've just "liked"?

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

@ worthy

I was 'liking' the mention of: "You cannot use additional underlayment under SUPERcore or any other SPC or WPC."

Many homeowners believe vinyl planks or WPC or SPC cores are just like laminate. But they are not. I like to praise people who tell the truth.

The 'pretty easy' is a relative term that defies description. One person's 'easy' is another persons "horror show".

If you can't cut a straight line, then 'pretty easy' gets much harder. If you do not know how to 'snap a chalk line' then easy is going to be super difficult. For professional flooring installers, I've seen the 'best' click-together edge take them more than 300 sq to get the hang of it - because they thought it was just like all the other click systems. Whereas homeowners who have never laid a floor found the same system to be 'a snap' because they read the instructions AND watch the youtube video.

Each to their own when it comes to 'pretty easy'. But underlayment is different. It has a definition and many people do not know the difference between underpad, underlayment and subfloor. Each is different with different definitions. That's when things get tricky - the definitions. Professionals *should understand...but some don't. Education is a very powerful thing.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    4 years ago

Is why professionals or not should read the specs and follow the manufacturer's installation guidelines or if the instructions still not clear call the manufacturer's technical department and ask is what I suggested from the get-go. :-)

• worthy
    4 years ago

It would be interesting to see the OP's finished product and their experience.

• Peke
    3 years ago

Hu, did you get the Supercore floor installed?

• CreativeOne
    3 years ago

Supercore now has an even easier lock profile called a 5GC - it is incredible to work with, the planks almost install themselves! I recently installed the Buffalo, I am in love!

• Julia Nardelli Gross
    3 years ago

@CreativeOne - any pics or tips to share? We're considering installing this in our home, doing it ourselves.

• PRO
    WeShipFloors
    3 years ago

Julia, there are videos of the lock system on each Item page

Alan

• Jen Sumner
    2 years ago

@WeShipFloors I am so confused now!?! Everything I have heard or seen so far says the opposite. That a vapor barrier is required if you're installing lvp or spc on a concrete slab in a basement. Is that not true?

I have spent months researching every brand (CoreTec specifically Grande line, LifeProof, NuCore, Smartcore, Proximity Mills, Cali Bamboo, SUPERCore, etc from all sorts of stores. Anything from LVP to SPC, etc. Finding the correct flooring for a basement that will hold up to kids and pets is exhausting! Then add in sheen issues that show everything including footprints to texture issues that rip clothing. This is maddening!

• YungKyung L
    last year

I just called WeShipFloors and was told to put down a vapor barrier because we'll be installing Supercore in our basement (at least that is the plan).

• Lindsay K
    last year

A vapor barrier is not the same as an underlayment. Vapor barrier is fine. Underlayment with cushion is what can be problematic.