Software
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Mid-October blooms

The garden is unfortunately in even worse shape now than last month, even though I'm seeing far fewer bunnies and squirrels. I'm afraid the roof rats are causing most of the damage, and I'm worried about the survival of some of the trees and shrubs. The milkweed is gone, and so are the penstemon and most of the sage. The only rose blooming in Tea Rose Row is Le Vesuve, and I love the abundance of blooms on this rose.


Continued......

Comments (17)

  • 6 years ago


    Le Vesuve

  • 6 years ago

    William R. Smith

  • 6 years ago

    Souvenir de la Malmaison

  • 6 years ago


    Potter and Moore and Mme. Antoine Mari in the background

  • 6 years ago


  • 6 years ago

    So beautiful! I’m so sorry about all of your critter woes. Do you think some cats may help chase them away? I adore all of your pinks! I’m heading more in that direction myself, but my plants are all still young. I especially like Potter and Moore!

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Dotsie Adams 8b
  • 6 years ago

    Ingrid, I’ve never commented since you’ve been dealing with the devastation of your roses and other plants, I couldn’t find the words, but it has made me sad for you, and I’m hoping that things do begin to.improve. It’s still amazing to me how beautiful your roses are that are blooming, it’s all so lovely!

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I was just thinking about you and your critters today and wondering how you've been. Your garden is still beautiful regardless of the rats and heat. I hope you get some fall rain and cool days.

    It finally cooling off just enough here that the roses are beginning blooming nicely again and the tree frogs are showing up to sleep in the them during the day.

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
  • 6 years ago

    It is nice to see how in the midst of all this devastation there are blooms, however few to enjoy. Hoping next year is a lot better for you!

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Magnus - England
  • 6 years ago

    Looks great to me.

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked erasmus_gw
  • 6 years ago

    I'm so glad that you're all still continuing to see beauty in a landscape that is struggling, and I too hope for early rains that might help to put everything back into balance. Sultry, thank you for the precious picture you've put into my mind of the little frogs sleeping in the roses.

    My weakness continues to increase, but we've had the blessing here of wonderful weather while so much of the country has been too hot or too cold. I hope that all of you in areas prone to wildfires will stay safe.

    Thank you for your wonderful replies, and may you all find happiness in your own gardens filled with roses.

  • 6 years ago

    Your Le Vesuve is so gorgeous, Ingrid! I have a baby one, and I can only hope it will be as lovely! Do you do shape it at all?

    I love the all photos you post, because your garden is a very magical one. :-)

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 6 years ago

    Perma, only the critters have shaped Le Vesuve by eating quite a bit of its insides, but fortunately it keeps growing from the top. I do plan to trim it slightly when it stops blooming in the winter.

  • 6 years ago

    ingrid, your roses are as beautiful as ever. I was wondering about you bec you always post . I was so ready to call LIsa to see if you are okay. I am sorry about your health and you take care of yourself. sending you well wishes and lots of love from FL. get better soon :}


    I am so happy that my Le Vesuve starting to bloom as full and grew a little height after 2 years. one is bigger than the other by how it was spread. it takes forever to grow s l o w l y.



    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 6 years ago

    Your roses are beautiful, Ingrid. Glad to see that you still have blooms, and hope they lift your spirits.

    The photo of WR Smith is extraordinary, I like the color contrast of the cream and pink blooms.

    I hope you get plenty of rain this winter season. Wildfires and outages are a hardship.

    ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Krista_5NY
  • 6 years ago

    Ingrid, your trees and shrubs give definition, even if the fillers are gone. And your roses are lovely. Potter and Moore has those incredible full blooms, and SdlM is lovely. I hope you continue to have the strength to take care of your beautiful place, and I hope you will continue to have good weather.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio