Software
Houzz Logo Print
kel_kat5

to do an Ikea garbage pull-out cabinet, or not?

6 years ago

Wondering what people think of pull-out garbage cabinets? We live in a city where we have 3 different garbage cans for sorting. Family if 5. Lots of recycling, garbage and compost.

Comments (35)

  • 6 years ago

    it's a must-have. But you have to get the right size that holds the two tall, black bins front and back. I think it's the 18", but you should check me. Ours is three years old and starting to look a bit rough. I'd recommend one of the auto openers. There was a thread about them just a day or two ago.

  • 6 years ago

    What part is looking rough? We have 3 kids and I don’t want the cabinet to get ruined.

  • 6 years ago

    I agree it’s a must. I have an 18” by my prep sink/fridge that holds the trash and recycling and a 15” by my dishwashing sink for organic waste because that’s where I scrape plates. Works for us.

  • 6 years ago

    My kitchen is small and adding this will use one of my 3 banks of drawers.

  • 6 years ago

    But you have to put the trash somewhere... do you have another convenient place for trash? You could do one 18” for trash/recycling and a small can (could use Rev-a-shelf if you want a pullout with lid) for organics under the sink. Alternatively in my very small German kitchen I had a double pullout under the sink where I put trash/organics, and a large bin at the edge of the kitchen for recyclables. That would save your drawer bank.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    There's good discussion on trash can location here.

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5808096/trash-where-and-why#24729601

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I love IKEA cabinets, but I buy the trash can pullout from rev a shelf. It functions better than the ikea in my opinion

  • 6 years ago

    IKEA has 17 3/4” deep pullout drawers for in a sink base ( supposedly to leave room for plumbing/ dishwasher hooks-ups in back). They are available in 24,30,36” widths, which means you can not use the sink and have the trash open at the same time.

    However, if you combine the 17” glides with parts from other sized drawers, you can make two separate doors under your sink. E.g. a 36” sink base can have 2 separate 18”pullouts or a pullout and a swing door. You will need to add a 2x4 to the base floor to hold the drawer glide.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    A post on regret of trash can in cabinet.


    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5513535/help-i-despise-my-pull-out-garbage-bin#n=24


    Trash can in cabinet is a good option for some, not always the best for everyone. It depends on user's preference.



  • 6 years ago

    Yep, I agree artistsharonva - I am in the I find it gross to have garbage in a cabinet in my house. I have a freestanding one.

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I have a freestanding trash can on wheels. I have a place to put it under counter, out of site when not in use. It's convenient to be able to wheel it where I am prepping & to be able to take it out to do a deep clean if needed. I think I will always like the option of a trash can I can move & hide, rather in a cabinet. That works for me.

    I have visited some homes where they had a trash can cabinet, some looked great & did not smell. It was a great option for that home. Some homes' trash can cabinet were not the best choice for that home. Some looked damaged or stained after years of use, especially on top when opened & some smelled due to some trash liquid accidentally getting soaked into cabinet.

    So, it truly depends on the all the users in the home on which is best for that particular home.

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Really garbage is part of life I for one hate huge garbage cans that sit with garbage in them for days. I have actually 2 Ikea pullout garbage units one that just holds one bin on one side of my island and a double one that holds garbage and compost . All odf them are emptied everyday and I have stacking Ikea bins in my laundry room for all other recycling like bottles , cardboard plastic etc, I am always amazed at the amount of recycling we have . I use a big stainless garbage can with plastic liner for dog food.These are recycling ones I have from Ikea we have 4


  • 6 years ago

    I have the cheaper Veddinge doors, so they're not as durable as the more expensive options. I was noticing the other day that when you open the drawer, the top edge of the door has some chipped paint.

  • 6 years ago

    Our house is small. The trash/recycling pullout is at the entrance of my kitchen so my kiddos don't have to come into the kitchen proper to use it. It never occurred to me that it would be gross; what's the difference between having the bins in a cabinet box or having the bins next to the cabinet box. Hmm. The drawer above has a tool kit, pens, tape, garbage bags. I grew up with the trash in the sink cabinet next to a food storage cabient. Never seemed gross.


    I think a primary consideration is... do you have a place to put a stand-alone trash bin that won't become a focal point. If I skipped the trash pull out in my cabinetry and just set a garbage bin on the floor, it would be visible from my front door, dining area, and living room. I like that it's hidden.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Have one with 2 large bins in my small kitchen, and like my drawer base cabinets so much I regret using the space (that could have been another drawer base cabinet) for a pull out garbage can.

  • 6 years ago

    mdln - where would you put your trash if you had put a base cab there? Under the sink?

    I'm injecting myself into this conversation because I'm planning my mother-in-law's kitchen right now. I've never given a stand alone trash bin any consideration.

  • 6 years ago

    Can we put the pull—out garbage beside the stove?

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    @ bens bride, have an open wall, under a window. The cabinet pull-out trash is fine, just wish I had more drawer base cabs in my small kitchen.



  • 6 years ago

    Can a cabinet for trash and recycling be beside the stove?

  • 6 years ago

    Can't think of any reason why you should not put a trash pullout next to a range.

  • 6 years ago

    I would not give up a drawer base for trash. Try to get it under the sink or as a tilt out at the end of a cabinet run. My cabinet company offered a small stainless strip at the top of the pullout to keep it from getting damaged. You could probably find something off the shelf that would work.

    Rockwood Colonial Larchmont · More Info


    Western Dovetail Product Gallery · More Info


    Storage Beyond the Norm! · More Info


    Traditional Kitchen With Blue Raised Panel Cabinets With Brown Glaze · More Info


    Traditional Ivory Raised Panel Kitchen Cabinets with Crown Molding · More Info


    Chicago Condo III · More Info


  • 6 years ago

    i have had many different versions of pullouts and i now have 2 ikea brands and they work very well..and you cant beat the price and easy to install..

  • 6 years ago

    After 25 years of having a small open trash bin under the sink and making numerous recycling trips to the larger recycling bins in the garage (or having it collect in a paper bag on the floor until I felt like going to the garage), I now have 2 sets of double pull-out trash cans. One set is near my main sink dishwasher and it holds a bin for recycling (we can combine paper and plastic here) and one hold food waste. Next to my smaller prep/handwashing sink, I have a pullout with another bin for recycling and one for regular trash (the least full of the 4 bins). I love this set up.

  • 6 years ago

    @pippabean - that setup is ingenious!

  • 6 years ago

    @wilson853, I have seen tip-out bins like that in old (40s?) kitchens but not for trash and not in modern kitchens before. How do tip-out bins compare with pull-out bins?

  • 6 years ago

    Isaac, I don't have a tilt-out but the capacity would be the same. They are probably not seen as often because pullouts are readily available and fit the space of a typical kitchen cabinet. A few years back there was a kitchen reveal with three tilt out cans at the end of the island which I thought was a clever and easy way to sort the trash and works well if you have more width than depth. Here's a stand alone option.

    https://www.etsy.com/listing/670479439/double-trash-bin-tilt-out-door-wood?ref=reviews

    and a solution for composting and trash in a small footprint

    Waste System Combo Pack · More Info





  • 6 years ago

    I'm actually in this same situation right now. We are in the midst of a kitchen remodel using Ikea boxes and i'm building the shaker doors.

    Our cooktop is on our new island which has a 36" box under it. We also have a telescoping vent which the blower and all the mechanics consume the back 13-14" of that 24" deep box. So i'll be making a pair of custom pull outs so that we can fit the ~17" wide by ~9" deep Ikea trash cans in them. This way your only opening the one you need vs. pulling both out. I'll post photos once they're built.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    @User Your rigging of that bin: Super clever! And yet it looks like such an easy mod. It seems, all that's needed is a piece of string and a means of attaching it at both ends. No expensive hardware, no building/hacking the cabinet or drawer. Amazingly simple.

    It reminds me of your Ikea drawer within drawer solution.

    I have just one question: Do you keep anything in the space behind the bin? It seems that the open lid won't let you easily reach there?

  • 6 years ago

    I keep sponges, scrubbies and rolls of paper towels there. The lid disengages from the bin easily, No problem to retrieve things.

    By redirecting the string from the sink bottom towards the upper edge of the drawer front and only then down to the lid, I think that I could have had the lid open towards the front. But I thought better of it, as I wanted the lid to protect the back of the drawer from wayward veggie bits when I'm dropping them into the bin. Glad I did. It works.

    And thanks for the kind words, tidydyi.

  • 6 years ago

    What kind of bins do you have, pippabean?

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    @Harry Doyle - The under the sink bin Is a small, discontinued Ikea bin. About 20 years old. I don't buy bags for it, as I have tons of grocery store plastic bags (from way back, before I bought reusable shopping bags. They fit perfectly.

    My other non-food trash and recycling pull-out sits in a 15" wide cab with the Ikea bins designed to fit the cab. No need for lids for those bins.

  • 6 years ago

    Former SIL lived in area which required sorting of trash. Her solution; bathroom-sized wastebaskets lined with grocery bags, under the kitchen sink, tied up and put into the appropriate bins every evening.

  • 6 years ago

    Mdln hoe many pull-out drawers did you end up with in your kitchen?