drippy_gw

Theme Garden Swap II

drippy
October 31, 2019

Signups for this swap are now closed. I am having trouble getting contact information to some of the players through the Message system on Houzz, but will work it out in the next day or so. Players, please be sure to check back on the original thread for theme descriptions. Use this one to post when you send seeds, and I will post when I receive them, as well as when returns go out. Questions, concerns can be posted here as well.

Ready, set, go!

• drippy

Mail's in! Seeds arrived today from Browneyed Susan, BenLovesBeets, and Audrey_gw. Off to catalaogue and sort!

• drippy

Hibiscusfan's seeds arrived in this morning's mail. Everything is catalogued and sorted so far. Just waiting for Unnati Hall's, and I believe they will arrive in the next day or two. Later today, probably, I will do a post that shows the process I am using. This may help whoever might want to take over next year.

Please help me pull this living room together

-- Ya - You need more color over on the stair wall. Solid gold pillow over there will do it. A little blue between the rug and draperies would be nice too. Pull the colors around the room.

help with master bedroom, currently blank slate!

Your bed frame is beautiful. When you are ready to fill it in with pillows to pop up your color scheme, check out this article that talks about the secrets of perfect pillow placement. It's a great read! https://www.houzz.com/magazine/the-secret-formula-for-perfect-pillow-arrangements-stsetivw-vs~4071323 I've attached an image from the article of the recommended 2-2-1 pillow arrangement on a bed. The big takeaway: The 2-2-1 ratio also works on beds...arrange the pillows from the back to front.

POLL: Favorite outdoor room?

I chose the Garden Style because while the others were lovely, most of us can hope to attain a garden in which we can relax. I especially liked the trellis in the background and the comfortable-looking coach. The Marakesh style had awesome lanterns and wood ceiling, the Alpine had wonderful wood features, Beach Deck had a great view, Americana was charming, Southwestern had a really neat-looking outdoor fireplace, Tropical looked like it could actually take rain, and Nautical had a nice porch so it was a hard choice. ^^

Help - Exposed Brick Gone Wrong

Just a little update to everyone but I recently got some neat art that I think looks good over the brick. Besides the painting I am also waiting for a new could go come in which will be the same green like color of the medicine cabinet. When my gf moves in the furniture will move around a bit since she has a dining room table that we will put by the window and am going to move the recliner to the other side of the room. Will eventually get a desk for the corner of the room so we can both work from home if needed. The rug is something I picked up this weekend.
  • drippy

Here's the process I use with this swap - warning, long! It starts with a post, and I try to give clear expectations to all participants as to how to proceed, then I wait as you sign up. During sign up time, and before I have received any seeds from anyone, I go through my seeds, package up what can be used for the swap. Then I have clear proof as to why I needed to do this in the first place; I have way too many seeds!

Next steps - I have 9x12 manila envelopes (not bubble) that I have used for a long time. I put each player's GW name on one, and stand them up in a box or paper bags. I dedicate one college ruled notebook, 29c variety, to this. I put each player's name and "no" list on one page, and each of their themes on a separate page. As the seeds arrive, I go to the player that they have come from and put their name & address & postage sent in at the top of the page. Then I list all the seeds they have sent in. Then I go to the individual players they have sent seeds for, and list those seeds under the appropriate theme. Seeds sent in packaged as a theme group, not for separate players, get put aside to be distributed later. Then, at my computer, I start a page for each player that has my return note and a list of the seeds sent in for their themes, copied from my notebook. I will print these out and use them to cross-check for accuracy (making sure I didn't miss any!) before I send them on home.

Next, which is coming up soon now, I will pull seeds, as much as possible, that echo what a player has already sent in. No one wants the same variety back that they sent, usually - however, different varieties stay. And perfection isn't always possible with this. I also try to limit the number of a single type (e.g., marigolds) that a player gets back. I also try to make sure that everyone will get a few in the "awesome" category. And again, as much as possible, I try to give everyone close to the amount they have sent in, unless a player has asked me specifically to send less.

Finally, I will add my seeds. This is the main advantage a swap host has (if the swap host has thousands of seeds they really need to share, lol). I get to see where the gaps are and fill them in.

What I don't do: I don't stress over people not following every single detail I set out at the beginning, although those of you who have made my work a breeze. Missed postage, labels, no time for a list, individual packs with names on them - this can all be worked around. I don't open the individual baggies. In the past, I've opened and divided some bigger ones to share among more people, but that is work I decided to pass on this time. The only exception will be if I redistribute a pack that has a player's name written on it to someone else. Several of you sent more postage than necessary; if I find that I don't need it on the return, I will probably send some back to you in a separate note, in the form of first class stamps that you can use for other mail. Otherwise, I would have to weigh the open packages at the post office, then step aside and add the refund, then seal them, then get the postage to mail them - too many steps! If my post office has a customer scale away from the window, I may do it that way, but otherwise, as I said, you may get a note with some stamps in it.

Yes, it's a bit of work, but it is absolutely fun to see how you have interpreted each others' themes - a bit of humor in this one, lots of smiles. So there you have it - that's the Kim/drippy process for the Theme Garden Swap.

• poisondartfrog

Kim,

No need to work to send a certain number back to me or even close, nor to return any excess postage. I meant to put in a note. Sheesh. First swap this season and I forgot my p's and q's.

Distracted red-faced old trader here.

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio

Don't send me any extra postage back either.

• drippy

Alana, don't be red-faced - I want to believe that we all have lives outside of gardening and trading, although in my case it's somewhat questionable...I know how it is, though, we 'veterans' have gobs of seeds. Still, they gotta go somewhere! :D No, this is seriously fun. As if my Seeds I Have file wasn't already 25 pages single spaced (no joke), I just ordered a few more to both try myself and share - they'll be here in a couple of days. There really needs to be a 12-step program for some of us! I have a small suburban lot, not a 20 acre estate.

• drippy

And - Unnati Hall's are here! :)

Anticipation....

• patrob

No postage back for me either. If I did not include enough, please let me know.

• BenLovesBeets (Zone 7b)

Same if theres not enough on mine let me know!! I was not sure how to best go about this step!

• faerygardener z7 CA

No postage back for me, I *hope* I mentioned that since I sent in a bit, any extra of my postage could go to anyone who might get back more than they expected (or to your supplies & seed habit which you are sharing!). Thanks for all the work you’re doing!!

• drippy

Y'all are very generous! I am drowning in seeds here, and Dire Straits keeps running through my head: "We got to move these refrigerators; we got to move these color tee veeeees" :D

• drippy

Going well though - with any sort of luck I will have returns posted early next week, but of course, I will post on the thread when I do.

• drippy

I hope you all are watching this - ashwaganda, a medicinal herb. It was sent in by one player for another, and one other player has received some as well. I grew ashwaganda this year, and will be harvesting roots soon. I actually planted seed that was pretty old, and didn't think it would do anything, but it grew and thrived. I have a significant amount of seeds, so even if it doesn't fit your themes, if you would like me to tuck some in your return envelope, either post here or message me or email me, and I will include it for you, as an extra. Caveat: it has a long growing cycle, so best started indoors for those in frost areas.

• shp123

Yes, please Kim. I tried to grow this year. I started the seeds the same time as tomatoes and peppers. Transplanted then in the field, but they didn’t not take off. I was so disappointed. I’m determined to try again. Thanks.

• drippy

Hi, folks - your seed packages are on the way back to you. I have tracking numbers, if anyone needs them. Most went first class with tracking, and are expected to be there Friday, due to the holiday. Becky, yours may take longer - I will send you a message. The two players who sent theirs in priority mailers may have theirs sooner.

In the end, I pretty much removed only what was sent in for you that was on your "no" list, or a seed that matched an EXACT variety of one you sent in. I checked and cross-checked everything, and since some seeds were still undistributed when I was done, some of you will get some extras in your pack that you didn't ask for. Jensyen sent in seeds for several of you; she just needed to lighten her collection and didn't want any sent back, so if you received seeds in your pack from her, you might try sending her a message through Houzz. Except for one of you, who asked me right at the beginning with a "best begging voice" to send less back than she sent in, all of you have close to all you sent, or more. That being said, I am sure I made a couple of mistakes. In fact, I have a little packet on my table meant for a player that had a large return that must have slipped out when I was packing. I'll attend to that sometime this weekend. If you have any concerns, please let me know, and I will try to make it right.

It was a fun swap - the way you interpreted themes gave me a lot of smiles, and hope you see the humor, too, in your returns. We came from all over - as far north as Ontario, as far west as California, east to Connecticut, and south to Alabama and Florida, with a few from the midwest as well. All in all, a great group of players.

Now a shameless plug. The reason I must pass the torch on this swap is that I am not getting younger, and have trained virtually all my life (since I was 4) in music, with theory and composition being my first love. The tools available for this have expanded exponentially with the advent of personal computers (yes, I was alive when PCs were a dream in someone's mind), and have left me far, far behind. I am fortunate to have a family member who is professional in this who is tutoring me, but the learning curve is steep - yet exciting, and I need to spend a lot more time at this. So here is my first effort, which was completed over a year ago now, if you want to have a listen: https://soundcloud.com/kim-wheeler-1

Happy gardening, and Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

• BenLovesBeets (Zone 7b)

Wow Kim So Cool! Looking forward to seeing my seeds :) Thanks so much for all of your hard work!

• primrose1x3

If the time were to come when I couldn't see another dawn or want to, it wouldn't matter because your music enabled me to 'see' it with my ears. Drippy, the worst thing you could do to the rest of us would be to give up your dream and quit writing music. I loved it and if there might be a way my ears could keep up with you, I hope you'll let me know.

Thank you for this swap and sharing your garden, musings and music.

karen

• drippy

Aw, thanks, Karen - anything I manage to get done will be posted on Soundcloud - I am kimwheeler1 (I don't know if you have to have the hyphens or not). It is amazing what people can do with this stuff. I entered this in a contest, and got a lot of nice feedback, but it was nowhere near the quality of many of the entries I heard - very polished stuff, from amateurs as well as professionals. Although in my youth I imagined myself as a rich and famous pop star, I was definitely not ambitious enough to put in the endless work and considerable heartache of most of those trying to enter the music business. I am glad to say that I am learning this now for my own enjoyment and not worrying about sales or notoriety - I've always liked going to school!

• sandlapper_rose

So exciting that our seeds are on the way back. Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. Thanks for all your hard work as hostess, Kim, and for sharing your music.

• faerygardener z7 CA

Kim - Thank you for hostessing. Wonderful music! Did you knit that beautiful shawl you’re wearing on your music site photo - it’s gorgeous!!

• poisondartfrog

Lovely, Drippy. I could hear the sunrise.

According the the USPS, my seeds will be here today. Sounds like a cup of tea and a break from baking this evening while I peruse the contents is in order. Thank you so much for the work you have done.

• drippy

Hi, faerygardener - My beloved sister knit the Celtic design shawl for me, and it gets compliments wherever I wear it. It is not warm enough to wear to Scotland this winter, but I do have a fun picture of me wearing it in front of Balmoral, taken one summer I was there.

To all: of course, as seed host I get to see my seeds before everyone else does. I haven't had time to fully go through them yet, but I had a lot of oohs and aahs over the "One Singular Sensation"s you sent. I also got some lovely Edible Landscaping additions, and the Broadway shows interpretations gave me a lot of grins. Thank you all so much for your kindness and generosity - aren't gardeners just the best? :)

I have all lists and info, and hope to go through matching postage numbers this weekend - to those of you who said "keep the change", I thank you kindly. As is often the case, some of the packets returned were significantly larger than those sent in, so they required more postage than was sent - with any sort of luck, it will probably all work out evenly. If you have ANY concerns at all, please message me - as I said, I still have all the lists of what you sent, what was sent for whom, and what was added, as well as tracking numbers. I will keep all this info until I am certain everyone has received their packages and is satisfied.

I hope you all have a safe and warm Thanksgiving, shared with those you love. I am hosting a small gathering here, so have to spend the rest of today cleaning ( :( , I'd rather be gardening!) and cooking, and will check in again late Thursday or early Friday. Thank you again for playing in the Theme Garden Swap! :)

• shp123

Thank you Kim for all the efforts. And thanks to everyone for a fun swap. I can’t wait to receive the package after Thanksgiving. Happy holiday to all!

• poisondartfrog

Got 'em! I haven't had time to look at them yet, may not until Friday. I'm behind and getting behinder. Enjoy tomorrow, everyone.

• sandlapper_rose

My seeds arrived today! Thank you so much. I love getting all these surprises in the mail. Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.

• drippy

Yay, yay! They are arriving home! I'm with you two - I am still working on cleaning, got my pies done though. At the point of deciding what I can let go of in the cleaning world - the guests are family I love; they won't have a spazz if everything isn't white glove test pure. Enjoy, y'all!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}

I've finally been able to get back on to where I can post! I guess my smart phone isnt that smart! I can come and view but I'm unable to post more than one letter..lol

Thank you to anyone that sent to me even though I was silent the whole swap. :}

Thank you Kim for doing the swap again this year, It's always been one of my favorites!

Looking forward to seeing what you all came up with for seeds from my themes...

Lisa

• primrose1x3

Considering those 40 mph windy gusts in the black pre-dawn hours through which I had to flounder to get to my mailbox, the imaginary rainbow shining out from the mailbox was rather startling - every hue and shade of blue with sparks from the orange/scarlet section, peppered with icy flakes from the frozen moonlight section. Maybe a certain musician could write another tone poem about that? Everything about this swap was extraordinary - these seeds are definitely major dream food - Thank you Drippy and all who participated in this swap. As poisondartfrog said elsewhere recently, "Burp :) "

karen

• poisondartfrog

Wow! Don't know why I joined other swaps this year, lol. I received an embarrassment of riches. Hurry Solstice.

• audrey_gw

I, too, received much more than I anticipated. So much more that drippy had to use a larger envelope than the SASE I sent to mail them back. I feel a little guilty about that, but not enough so to keep me from enjoying everything! You all really made my week because I had one of those Thanksgivings where everything seemed to go wrong, including my computer choosing that morning to go wonky so I had great difficulty printing off my gravy recipe. Which turned out lumpy anyhow. (Sigh.) But today, with my computer working again and this wealth of exciting new seeds, I feel much, much better!

• drippy

No feeling guilty about seeds, Audrey, we vets LOVE to give as much away as we can. And you can share Thanksgiving boo boos with me - I don't eat cranberry sauce, but had some put aside in the pantry for our guests. The day before, I told my husband (who does eat it), at least three times, "don't let me forget the cranberry sauce". I had made cranberry bread, so several times on Thanksgiving I offered cranberry bread to my guests; you'd think that "cranberry" would have sparked my memory. Nope, the cranberry sauce is still in the closet. Better luck next year! Or maybe I will get invited out, lol.

• jensyen ( z7 MD )

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. Kim, thank you for the TY note and stationary. You do beautiful photography and I will enjoy using them.

• janinilulu

Thanks to all for the great selection of seeds I received! Thank you, too, Kim hosting this swap one last time. Audrey, don't feel bad about lumpy gravy...my turkey was sooooo dry it was embarrassing (haven't made a dry turkey in years!)

• patrob

What a nice assortment of seeds arrived today! Thank you all so much. Kim, in all the years I hosted a seed swap, I could never have found time to make a list of the returned seeds. Me thinks you work too much! Your musical talent is amazing. Pursue it with all your heart1

I cooked for just the two of us, but all turned out well. I baked a turkey breast in a cast iron Dutch oven. So moist. DH collected Griswold cast iron for years until our house was full and I declared his collection finished, but it's the best for all kinds of cooking and baking.

Lumps in the gravy will sink to the bottom if you give them a little time. My little bit of cooking advice. lol If they don't sink, they are obviously meant to be there.

Kim. giving up hosting a swap you love and a group of swappers you love, is difficult. We have to trim the sails, so to speak, from time to time, and now the younger or less challenged among us have a chance to take a turn at the wheel. Thank you for this swap!

• drippy

I am glad to see those of you I know are "veteran" swappers enjoying your seeds - let's face it; we have a lot. It's a challenge to find a few special goodies for you, and I know your packages include many things you may already have. I think it's more of a treasure to us to see those who don't have as much to share, whether new gardeners or having had difficult circumstances, getting a good haul to expand their supply. So far, if I have this right, Patrob, Poisondartfrog, Janinilulu, Audrey_gw, Primrose 1x3, and Sandlapper_rose have their seeds, and Jensyen has received the small thank you gift I sent her for sending seeds, even though she did not want any returned to her. I am hoping more will be checking in soon. It will be Monday, at least, before I can get to figuring out who needs postage returned (I'm on top of the ones who have told me not to bother, thank you!) - and I will start messaging folks to make sure they have received seeds if they don't check in.

• shp123

Hey, I just received my package! Thank you so much for the lovely seeds that you take time to package for me! It means a lot to me. Many thanks to Kim for hosting this and the personal touch you put in for each of our package. May you all have a rewarding growing season and a bountiful harvest!

• midwestfarmwife

Oh my goodness! What a wonderful selection of seeds I received! Thank you to all who participated and sent seeds marked for me and a huge thank you to Kim for all she sent and the organization and work she did for this swap. If anyone has not listened to her music composition, please click on the link, close your eyes and listen. Visions of a summer sunrise came to mind as I imagined sitting in a beautiful flower garden filled with tranquility. Heavenly!

• ishareflowers {Lisa}

Kim,

I got my package yesterday. I havent had a chance to open it yet BUT I will after my grandson goes home this afternoon.

I dont reember what I sent for postage BUT I dont want any back! If I owe anything, please let me know so I can send you the shortage.

Thank you so much Kim for doing the swap again. Thank you to everyone who sent seeds in also.

Lisa/ishare

• primrose1x3

Kim, I'd rather you not return any postage to me either - just bask in our thanks for a seed swap so well done.

karen

• sandlapper_rose

Kim, there was very little extra with the postage difference. No need to send any of it to me. Thanks again for being the hostess.

• browneyedsusan_gw

Thanks for all the wonderful seeds I received! Thanks for all your hard work, drippy!

Susan

• midwestfarmwife

Don't recall what I sent for postage, but no refund is necessary. I rec'd such a nice variety of seeds!.

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio

Thanks Kim for doing such a good swap and everyone for their contributions. Got a chuckle out of getting popcorn out of Pop Goes the Weasel. Was thinking of poppies but I love popcorn for a snack and will plant it. Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and will have a blessed Christmas!

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska

You're amazing. That was so much fun to get my package of seeds. I was in the middle of rescheduling Thanksgiving at my house, stressed out with weather and food and waiting and this lovely package came and I forgot everything else for awhile. The anticipation is so great!!!! Thank you all!

I'm with the "keep it" crowd as far as postage. You deserve Starbucks or Diet Coke or whatever your little getaway snack is! Heidi

• faerygardener z7 CA

Thank you so much KIm - we had a break in our storms and I zipped down to the post office to find my Wonderful package! Thank you all!!!!

Adding - who else keeps a Google image search window open as you go through your gifted seeds?

• drippy

Looks like most everyone has received seeds, I just need to check on Zeak, BenLovesBeets, and Unnati Hall. I know BMaggic's will be awhile. Maggie, I kept a Google search window open as I was sorting some of them for all of you, and then again when I looked through the nice assortment you all sent me. Suzanne, you definitely didn't get much in the way of poppies in your bag! Maybe some kind soul will run a wish list swap later this season.

Postage has worked out fine, with very few under, and those only slightly. Most were over, and although I am appreciative of those who told me to keep the change, there were two that were somewhat heavily over, so I will be messaging them about returns.

Now we have Solstice, Chanukah and Christmas - and December holidays from other traditions as well - to look forward to. Winter sowing is a little weird in Florida, as winter is only about a week long, lol. Anything that requires cold to break dormancy needs refrigeration here. I currently have two heads of garlic, which I am told CAN be grown in central Florida, in my refrigerator. I will be putting them in the ground in January.

Happy gardening to you all; may your gardens be bountiful in the new year!

• Unnati Hall

Drippy, this swap was absolutely perfect!! Thank you so much for organizing it. I love all of seeds I got!

Thank you for all the seeds everyone! Cant wait to plant them!

• BenLovesBeets (Zone 7b)

Hello Everyone,

Sorry for the delay in posting. I was traveling for the holidays when my pkg arrived. Over the holiday my father wasn't feeling well and i got a call after we returned yesterday. It turns out he has a kidney stone blocking part of his kidney, so he was rushed to the hospital yesterday. He needs surgery, but due to his heart medications (a blood thinner) they have to wait until this afternoon to proceed to avoid some complications. So, I didn't get to opening my seeds right away, long story short...i owe you all a huge thanks and cannot express in words how much joy the seeds brought to me on an otherwise daunting and nerve-wracking day. I am now sitting here and reveling and crying tears of joy at such kindness. I look forward to planting all the treasures and trying new vegetables with my son I would love to keep you updated as spring/summer approach and we try new things. I am so so excited about some of these! You all were so very generous and kind. Thanks so much to you all, and very special thanks to Kim for organizing this and making sense of it all - PS the broadway plays I had in mind were Touchstone and Matador :) Great guesses!

• drippy

Haha on the Broadway, BenLovesBeets. :) I had great fun with these. Patrob sent me one from Oklahoma which, ironically, I had to look up, even though my daughter had a leading role in her high school performance. We'll be praying for your Dad - I don't have first hand experience, but I understand that kidney stones are very, very painful, and having to wait out the surgery so that the danger of too much bleeding is minimized complicates things a lot. Hope all goes well for him, and kudos to you for bringing a new little gardener along in the world!

Zeak has been quiet, but tracking tells me his package was delivered. I think he just doesn't check the site all that often - too busy gardening, maybe!

• drippy

Hello again - I got a message from BMaggic, and her seeds have arrived, yay! The only one I didn't hear from was Zeak, and I am just going to have to assume that he received his alright, since tracking said it was delivered, and he hasn't responded to my message. Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season! I will be leaving sunny, warm Florida soon to visit grandchildren in cold, wet Scotland - brr! Glad I kept a few winter things when I moved here. :) Stay safe and warm, and Happy New Year, all.