laura_mdick

Kitchen and Mudroom Design - thoughts please

laura_mdick

I’m building a custom home. I am looking for feedback on my kitchen and mudroom design.

I have posted here in the past, and appreciated the comments I received. The comments I got made me realize I needed a kitchen designer, among many other things, lol! I hired one, and here is what I have attached what I have now.

I’m looking for feedback on my plans.

Here’s my wish list:

- A symmetrical kitchen design. Gosh, I wish it wasn’t so, because this kitchen would be a lot easier to layout, but it’s true. I’m a symmetrical-type person.

- A kitchen that has solid work zones. A mudroom that works hard.

- Maximize light and views of the waterfront (sliding doors view the water).

- I would really like to have two dishwashers for when we entertain. I don’t want one in the pantry.

- I don’t want a sink or range in the island. I don’t want to see my dirty dishes and I wish to have this space as a large prep space. I would like a small prep sink with a garburator in the island.

- I want to have a separate 3 foot fridge and a 3 foot freezer.

About my family:

- Two adults, 40s, two kids under age 5.

- Not moving from this house for the foreseeable future!

- Husband works from home. Wife is a stay at home Mom who cooks and bakes a lot.

- We entertain regularly. Small dinner parties, weekend guests are common, and larger family gatherings of 20 and 40 people.

- We live in a northern climate (think lots of boots, big coats, hats etc!)

Answering questions that came up when I posted before:

- If we need to, one day we will convert the office to our Master Bedroom. The walk-in front closet will get merged with the washroom close to it to make a bigger shower. We are prepared to spend the money to do this down the road.

- No, we aren’t going to put an elevator in now.

- I am keeping the walk in closet by the front entrance to use for company. I plan to train my kids to go through the mudroom entrance.

- A comment I received a lot from various sources was that I will want to have a bathroom close to the entrance we use, especially with young children. So, now I have a plan with a small bathroom. I am not sure if I love it though.

- Yes, the mudroom is large. The architect said we need a bit of space between the garage and house to keep it looking good. I am ok with a large space.

- I know the fridge would be better on the perimeter in a perfect world, but I would like it to be close to my pantry. I plan to have the bar fridge on the island to reduce traffic.

What’s not on these plans:

- I think I want to widen the exterior wall by 1 foot to allow more room for the pantry (so two people could pass, or possibly to put more shelves on the opposite wall. And to allow more room where my fridge and pantry meet.

- I also could use the extra foot on the second floor.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally

Another vote for mamagoose's plan.

I had a kitchen sink without a window for the first 25 years of my marriage : ) , until we moved into our new house last year. My parents in NYC had a sink without a window for the nearly 50 years they lived in their apartment; I spent a lot of time washing dishes there lol.

But we have the other floors mostly finished so I don't want to go back to the drawing board on the whole house.

This is the time to take the time to make sure that everything is right. I know what it's like to feel exhausted by the process even before you start : ) .

I'm wondering - should I just ditch this idea of no main sink in the island? My original reason for not wanting it, was because I didn't want dirty dishes where we were eating/having company.

With two dishwashers, how many dirty dishes do you expect?

I have one dishwasher, and I will say that one of my favorite things in our new kitchen is dish and cutlery storage in large wide drawers to the left of the dishwasher.

Do I need to just get over my desire for symmetry or my desire to not to have a main sink in my island?

If possible, can you think more in terms of balance than symmetry? Does that help? I prefer symmetry too, but if I had to choose symmetry for the sake of form, or efficiency for the sake of function, I would choose the latter and there were a number of times I had to make that compromise while planning our new house. And now, using the new kitchen and other spaces, I'm so glad I went for the efficiency. Everything looks beautiful, any compromises in symmetry are more than made up for with efficiency and a sense of balance, and no-one but me will ever notice.

In case you haven't seen it yet, here's a great layout post by marcolo,

Looking for layout help? Memorize this first: Ice. Water. Stone. Fire.

laura_mdick thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • nini804

You’ll be looking at this kitchen a LONG time. If you are a symmetry person...it will always bug you subconsciously if it is “off.” I’d try hard to get the aesthetic you want (within functional reason.)

Why on earth would you want to remove the powder room? It sounds like you entertain regularly...where would any of y’all go to the bathroom? Am I missing something? :)

laura_mdick thanked nini804

Please critique my space. Not new construction so some design limitations but I would love your thoughts and

keep in mind if this is a one person kitchen or crew. Also, lifestyle. As an example... do you cook fresh ingredients everyday? In a rush? Just battle an hour + commute & are zapping a frozen dinner? Entertain often? Multi-generational family? etc Depending upon how many & what appliance you use frequently, they should be oriented close together. I know some folks who cook a big batch of food & reheat everyday mid week. Well in that case fridge & micro are really handy together. If you like to use all fresh ingredients, they need prep space & likely time near sink for veggie peeling & rinsing. do you wish to go around a rather large island everytime you need a carrot. NKBA suggests a maximum & minimum round trip for distance between core appliance or preparation/cooking/serving/ cleanup stations. The more cooks, the more individual stations & often second sinks etc. Imagine yourself in this kitchen and how you typically work.. .imagine making a sandwich or cup of coffee. How much walking would you do to accomplish that task. How about baking or prep for a party. A local, competent kitchen designer can walk you through these strategies & help determine the best placement for core appliances.

Need help designing mudroom in new home!

That is a nice big space you have to work with. In our last house the garage led into the mudroom/laundry room and I hated it (walking into the laundry room). If it were my home I would prefer to walk into the mudroom and have the laundry room off to the side in a seperate room. We had wood lockers that I loved. One for each person with a cupboard on top and a drawer and shoe storage beneath. Also, a tech area would be nice for plugging in storing phones/electronics.

Please help, kitchen design and thoughts....

Charts on the new place! A few suggestions: Tile backsplash behind the sink and around he window. Can be ver affordable based on tile sele toon. Also, you can use a "mastic" product and go right to the existing drywall. I would also change out the blind for something newer looking. The wall with the desk can be a great accent color and opportunity to add a fun pop of color without drastically coloring the entire room. Islands are great but remember code require you run electrical so make sure you add that into the budget, which can be a few hundred based on where your current lines run and how long it will take the electrician to run the new ones. This would also require a permit and inspection from the city.

Thoughts on open vs. closed shelving for mudroom storage in kitchen

We put a mudroom adjacent to the kitchen when we remodeled. My takeaways given your configuration: 1) Only use drawers if you have a way to keep them clean and dry. we're in the northeast, and used open cubbies below the bench. WAY easier to keep clean and more likely that little people will at least fling their shoes in the right place! Having said that, I wouldn't want a completely open system in a public room. No matter what you do, they get messy on a regular basis, and having the ability to just close them is great! How about a configuration with doors left and right, but a bench in the middle to make shoes easier to deal with? Keep the cubbies open at the bottom, as shoes (or at least my husband's and son's) can get kind of stinky and it's easier to let that smell dissipate, rather than having it hit you when you open the door. I think the ideal configuration would be similar to a utility cabinet with shelves. Let the user determine where the shelves go vs the hooks, based on need and height. Also, incorporate a place to charge cell phones etc. We did that and I love it.

Forgot to mention, I have a Bosch dishwasher with a 30-minute cycle, which I love when we have parties and holiday get-togethers. Something to consider for at least one of your dishwashers.

• laura_mdick

@nini804. There are two powder rooms on the main floor.

@beckysharp Ty!

JAN MOYER

I like this, ( no surprise ) and I think you get your symmetry with a focal point on the range. Your kids ditch coats, bypass your cook with a stop at the loo and then grabbing a bag of chips, sail past your prep, especially with an under counter drinks fridge in there. Or beverage drawers... Frankly, given the size of house and all else, best yet. But you are the decider. The lot is the lot, and unless the footprint of the house will change, you have limits, and they are greatly enforced by the stair.

I don't know if this means range vs cook top, what "baking station" implies. But for traffic and house size? It works. Especially the pantry entrance from the garage. It' easy in the the checkout line to separate dry goods from chilled and frozen and bag accordingly. Seeing dirty dishes? Clean as you go! They wouldn't have been "hidden" anyway. For that you need a dining room. The bottom line is the kitchen and living area are just not that darn big : )

Word of advice? Go look at the dual fuel Monogram 36 inch PRO range. I have not ONE client who doesn't love it; also the fact it will also hold catering size cookie sheets. It's a machine at 36 inches, it really is.

laura_mdick thanked JAN MOYER
  • Twosit4me

if I was you I would adjust the refrigerator plans. Do a large refrig in your kitchen and put the other one in the basement. It will make for easy access from the lake and help your kitchen planning.
    We also only had two doors in to the mud room one from the garage and another one to the backyard, in your case the lake. I definitely would steal some room from that mud room closet and add a shower to that bath.

laura_mdick thanked Twosit4me
  • laura_mdick

JAN MOYER, The architect did this and put the baking station in. His wife is a baker and prefers a slightly lower counter. I don't bake bread etc. So I'm not sure if that would be helpful. This week I did make pierogies and the counter was a bit high for me to roll out the dough at my current island. But I would do that at max a few times a year. Not sure if I would include a "baking station" with this plan, but that's what he drew.

The architect did this and put the baking station in. His wife is a baker and prefers a slightly lower counter. I don't bake bread etc. So I'm not sure if that would be helpful. This week I did make pierogies and the counter was a bit high for me to roll out the dough at my current island. But I would do that at max a few times a year. Not sure if I would include a "baking station" with this plan, but that's what he drew.

Do you bake cookies with the kids? Do you think you might in future?

My spidey sense in tingling : ( . Did the architect ask you, and/or your husband, how and what you cook and what you might like to have in your kitchen? And did he ask about your particular interest and preferences for the rest of the house?

• laura_mdick

beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally, He asked if we liked to cook, bake and entertain. Not in a lot of detail. Yes, I do bake with my kiddos. We had a lot of back and forth with the rest of the house, but I feel like we got what will work for us. Although now, I wish we started with the kitchen and worked our way out.

He asked if we liked to cook, bake and entertain. Not in a lot of detail. Yes, I do bake with my kiddos.

Is there anything else we should know about what your family likes to cook, how you entertain, how you use the kitchen? What sort of things do you and the kids like to bake? Do you roll out dough regularly for anything else besides pierogies -- pizza, cookies, pastries?

Do you want drawers where you can have large storage containers of flour, sugar, etc? In my island, I have one large drawer below with two large rectangular storage containers, one for flour and one for sugar. Above that, I have a smaller drawer with baking soda, baking powder, vanilla extract and other flavorings, a jar of homemade vanilla sugar, tapioca starch, cocoa, baking chocolate, etc. In the drawer next to the bulk flour and sugar, I keep smaller amounts of various specialty flours.

Do you have a large collection of tablecloths or candles or ??? for entertaining? Do the kids do crafts in the kitchen, and if so, do they need a place to store their supplies?

• laura_mdick

In my home now, all my baking items (bulk flour, and everything else) is all located in my island. I love it. I love that I can make almost anything, use it and put it right back. I would love to have that in my new home.

I see my pantry as being storage of dry food snacks and foods, paper products, cans, preserves etc.

I am trying to get used to the idea of no window at the sink but I'm not sure I could. I have a window at my sink now and I do enjoy the sun on my face. But everyone is right. With two dishwashers, I hope to not be doing a lot of dishes. It's not my favourite kitchen job.

Please be patient with me everyone. I don't want to give up on this until it feels exactly right. We're spending a good chunk of our lifesavings doing this. I don't want to regret it, or think that I didn't pay attention to that feeling of not totally being happy.

What does everyone think about this? The only thing I can think that is wrong with it is that it is far to bring in groceries. But hubby does the groceries so, oh well. Haha. The square footage is higher, but that may not be a huge deal.

One other thing that concerns me about the current plans is that I don't have room to put out buffet style food. Most of our entertaining is family style (food on the table), but when we have company we usually do buffet style because our family is so big.

Under my other plans, if people were sitting at the island I don't know where I would put buffet style food. And yes, this is something we do a lot. In the summer, more weekends than not.

@beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally, @JAN MOYER, @nini804, @Patricia Colwell Consulting, @mama goose_gw zn6OH, wilson853

• laura_mdick

* To clarify, I meant to say 50/50 family style vs. buffet style with company.

That's why I'm being a pain in the a*s and asking you more questions : ) .

• laura_mdick

@beckysharp ...I did think boy, I wish my KD asked me this!

• laura_mdick

Maybe another thing about this latest plan that isn’t the best is if you are emptying a pot of hot water. However, with a larger island, the prep sink could be slightly larger than a normal prep sink, allowing that to happen there.

• cpartist

I wish i was home. I’d draw you out an L shaped kitchen plan. If you can wait until after Thanksgiving I’d be happy to show you

• cpartist

PS: Symmetry is overrated. The only time you would notice is if you were standing dead center facing the island

JAN MOYER

First, You don't need a 48 inch cook top, and a 36 inch PRO range would save space. There's nothing you can't cook or bake on/in it

You DO need a microwave and extra oven? Fine!

In a kitchen this size, and on the layout I like? I'd put both a single 30 inch micro and that

extra oven where the baking center is on his plan

For an architect? His concept and sense of traffic through, was darn decent. Appliances drive the kitchen in both function and looks. Get firm on them, don't overestimate "kiddo's" as they grow and are home less. ..........and are out more with sports and activities.

Appliances, and acceptance........within the foot print. Or ? That covered porch needed to be interior conditioned space : ) For YOUR wish list.

I just finished a new kitchen for a client, not much different from yours. On a lake. She routinely has forty folks on weekends for breakfast, lunch dinner.I bet you can manage.

Actually, it would be very helpful, to show us the kitchen you have right NOW. The one where you mass prep the food, and set up the buffet and all that stuff.

laura_mdick thanked JAN MOYER
  • wilson853

laura, I like your latest iteration so much better. I think that you have checked most of your boxes. I would consider moving the bar fridge to your buffet area and would also move the prep sink in from the edge of the island so that you have landing space for items going from the refrigerator to the prep sink. I like my prep sink across from my range top as I am often pivoting between the two. I've had both a 36" and 48" cooking surface and much prefer the 48". Two can work side by side and it gives me a safe spot to land items from the ovens while still using the burners. I moved ours a couple inches away from the wall so that I have more room for a large stockpot in the rear. Adding the extra foot on top gave me an extra foot in the drawers below so as it happily turned out all of my cookware now fits perfectly with no more nesting or stacking. The bottom drawer is deeper so that my tallest stockpots and fry pans can fit vertically.

laura_mdick thanked wilson853
  • laura_mdick

Just noticed my plan didn't include wall ovens. Not sure where they would go? My first thought is on the exterior wall closer to the pantry (but not directly in the door way). Looked at the pro-ranges. Not sure those are in my budget.

• tangerinedoor

Did the very obvious problem of the cooktop being on the other side of the kitchen from the ovens get resolved?

JAN MOYER

What "obvious problem" ? A cook top has LITTLE to nothing to do with ovens. Ovens are a put it in there, set timer, walk away appliance.

The OP needs a sit down ONE ON ONE with a certified KD, a firm budget for the kitchen, and a firm appliance selection, within that kitchen. All this within the current envelope of the house, and the sacrifices that go with that envelope. At some point this is a wheel spin. : ) or a whine, or both . Kitchen are much like husbands. A handsome guy , a narcissist, a wandering brat? , ...........his looks will "fade" fast to oblivion for you. . A hardworking soul with a sense of humor who puts you first? He's a keeper. .......isn't he?

• laura_mdick

Integrating some of the comments... This kitchen is feeling more like home to me.

@JAN MOYER - My current kitchen sucks. The only good thing about it is the island. It's not worth posting.

• laura_mdick

The font was too small on the previous picture. This is better.

• laura_mdick

@JAN MOYER LOL to the husband comment! I do have a keeper and he does put up with my wheels spinning, and a lot more, haha. This feels productive to me, because I'm feeling better about my kitchen and mud room. I did sit down with a KD. She gave me lots of options. Something wasn't exactly right with what I got though. I went back to her a few times, but here I am.

• laura_mdick

And why do I have to stick within the current envelope? We don't even have structural drawings yet. Now's the time.

cpartist and her plan would be well worth waiting for.

laura, listen to your gut or heart or that little voice in the back of your head.

JAN MOYER

You don't have to stick with anything. You made a statement that the "second floor was all set, you didn't want to mess with it" .

If the lot doesn't work? Seek another. If you need more space on this lot? Go back to the architect. No CKD can help you without some FIRM idea of what you must have, and you must have the budget ( and room ) for her to get it in there. You're spinning, So go back, first with hubby, and get your financials on record, plan that ANY build will go over by ten to fifteen percent, and in short, yank up the big girl panties. : ) Anything else at this point is wasting the CKD time, your time, and dollars lost to drawings from an arch, when really what you are saying is you want MORE than this space will contain.

You can have anything you want. as long as lot and dollars will align with the wish list.

laura_mdick thanked JAN MOYER
  • wilson853

I am not a fan of tall pullouts for pantry items but with the adjustable shelves I do like the flexibility for unwieldy items, tall items and small appliances that would take up lots of drawer space.

Pull-Out Pantry · More Info

laura_mdick thanked wilson853
  • shead

I, too, think an L shaped kitchen would be more useful than the current proposals. I’m not sure that it would be so terrible to have ONE pantry entrance around the corner in order to accommodate the L shaped kitchen.

laura_mdick thanked shead
  • shead

Here‘s the link to cpartist’s L shaped kitchen, which would be a good jumping off point for your kitchen design;

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5590582/cpartists-kitchen-finished#n=117

laura, here's the very long thread with cp's final plans and elevations, with links to her other threads through the four years of planning,

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/4361032/absolute-final-plans-and-elevations-and-build-thread

Just to help you know that you're not alone taking time to work on your plans and achieve the best result.

I came to GardenWeb in late 2009 to read through the Kitchen forum while planning our new house and new kitchen; we thought we were going to start building in the spring of 2010, but my parents died that year several months apart and things got delayed for several years. We built the house ourself, because my husband is a builder, but it took us four years because he was doing paid work for clients and also dealt with some health challenges (my husband had surgery for prostate cancer, his father had a serious stroke and then died, and his mother needed a great deal of support). I used all the extra time to keep reading at GardenWeb and elsewhere, asking questions, and doing research. Our new house is so much better for all the planning, researching, and waiting : ) .

• laura_mdick

@beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally I appreciate it. I am sometimes don't listen to my own voice enough. That sounds like a really rough experience for you with your family. I hope your husband is in good health now.

I am sometimes don't listen to my own voice enough.

This would be a very good time to start : ) .

That sounds like a really rough experience for you with your family. I hope your husband is in good health now.

Thanks so much : ) . He had a heart attack at the beginning of last year, just as we were finishing up work on the house to move in. Argh. It has definitely been an experience lol.

• laura_mdick

@beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally. We just never know what life's going to throw at us, do we. I'm sorry to hear about the heart attack, that really stinks. You seem like a very nice and thoughtful person. I am sure you are handling it well.

Thanks, laura. I try, and we have a great family with wonderful hugely helpful kids : ) . I found GardenWeb when I was helping my father go through radiation for his cancer, and it helped keep me sane, plus I learned a lot too. And after they died my husband built me a greenhouse, which has been my therapy in the spring and summer.

• tangerinedoor

My question about the layout with ovens across the kitchen from the cooktop and why I brought it up as a concern...

Do you ever make casseroles? Flan? Crumble with fresh fruit? Soufflé from a roux? Roast beef with gravy from drippings? Stuff you've just cooked to be kept warm in the oven 'til guests are ready to be seated? How do you go from food set up at the cooktop in often goopey condition all the way across the kitchen to put stuff in the oven or vice versa? I don't get why you'd want to do that... I'd be worried about tripping over a kid or a dog and having the whole mess go flying...

• laura_mdick

Yes. I definitely don’t want to go on a hike to put something in the oven to stay warm etc.

JAN MOYER

Oh come ON!!!! : ) A hike? To where? I see no advantage to a cook top vs range. You turn around? There's the island. You turn left or right? There's counter top as well. You don't want to post the current kitchen, because it ( your words lol ) "sucks" . But you cook in it, you set out big food buffets in it and you are LIVING in it and it seems nobody has starved. . Of course you want a big improvement, it's a new build! But you are trapped in this house footprint until you change it, and you have a budget. You don't think you can afford a pro range............ but by the time you do a 48 cook top, add double ovens and a microwave? Spell MONEY.

Three feet of depth to this kitchen would get you a lot. Maybe that covered deck needs a push. Nobody can help until YOU are very firm on actual appliances in any scenario.

• shead

"A cook top has LITTLE to nothing to do with ovens. Ovens are a put it in there, set timer, walk away appliance."

I totally and humbly disagree with this statement. In our last house, our ovens were on the opposite side of the kitchen than the rangetop. At the time, I saw no issues because I *thought* that the functions of each were totally separate. I was warned on here by the GW gurus back in in 2012/2013 but I thought I knew better ;)

Then DH learned the art of pan searing steaks in a cast iron skillet and finishing in the oven. Imagine running walking across the kitchen with a HOT large heavy cast iron skillet to the oven after the pan searing. Everyone had to clear the path and pray it wasn't dropped en route. I learned my lesson that from now on, my ovens will be closer to the cooktop. When cooking for my immediate family, I rarely transfer from pot to serving dish so I try to put any baked items near the stove to keep it all together which is another reason that having the ovens closer to the stove is more ideal....IMHO :)

laura_mdick thanked shead
  • laura_mdick

@JAN MOYER, Because of this thread, I did start researching appliances more thoroughly. I never would have imagined that appliances would need to be selected at this early stage of design. My KD did talk to me about appliances, but we never went over price in detail.

I was surprised by the cost of the ovens etc as separates. A pro range may be the way I go.

I often use two large (pro sized) sheet pans at separate temps at a time. I still need to figure out if they would fit in the smaller part of many of the pro ranges. I'm thinking not.

Also, maybe I should have maybe said before that I was choosing not to afford a pro range. However, maybe after further analysis of the pros/cons I will want to. I'm new at this, and I'm going to do more research.

@shead I wouldn't want to be more than a few steps from the range to the oven. TY.

• vinmarks

We have a Blue Star 48 inch range. The small oven fits a 1/2 sheet pan( 18x13). The large oven fits a full sheet pan (26x18).

• shead

I have considered going with the the pro style range for our upcoming remodel but after seeing my friend's in action, I feel like the ovens on those are too low to the ground. The front facing knobs make the ovens have to sit lower. Plus, we are seriously considering an induction cooktop. Sometimes spending a little more for the separate units is worth it for ergonomics.

JAN MOYER

I MUST be dense! If you PAN SEAR a steak on a pro range, you have an oven directly beneath. If you use the layout where the ovens were in the "baking center" spot, you simply stay in your lane, and move slightly right. If you put them on a wall next to the stair and use a cook top between two windows? Then you set them on a board on an island and transfer safely.

My heavens folks...........are these steaks a nightly meal with kids? My bet is not.

As with all other spaces, you plan for most of the time. You plan for the daily grind. Not flan.

You don't plan for the one full day you make Christmas cookies, or the one or two times you boil a lobster.

You plan for the 21 meals/snacks of every boring week. The OP can't make any great decision until she separates reality from fantasy, real budget from dream budget, and gets to firm appliance selections based on the seven ordinary and boring days of a week.

She won''t post the current kitchen, it "sucks" . But meals have come out of that kitchen! The children are not malnourished. A new range with smooth roll out shelves that hold a catering sheet? Go look inside a Monogram. Best value on the market, with tons of CKD converts to the brand. For the function and beauty, but the function is incredible.

• shead

"If you PAN SEAR a steak on a pro range, you have an oven directly beneath."

Yes, if one has a pro range (or any range), your ovens are underneath. That setup works for some and not for others for a variety of reasons. My specific comment was about having a separate rangetop and wall ovens where the wall ovens were in a "baking zone" on the other side of the kitchen, which was really inconvenient a LOT of the time for US.

"are these steaks a nightly meal with kids?" Well, we live on and raise cattle so we have steak a lot more than the typical consumer, At least once a week, including tonight :)

"As with all other spaces, you plan for most of the time. You plan for the daily grind. "

Yep, I totally agree and each of our daily grinds differs from others. My daily grind does not include me wanting to bend over farther than necessary to lift things (lower back and joint issues) so having a separate cooktop and ovens nearby is what is most ergonomic for me. But, there again, each has to design their kitchen for what works best for them, including the OP. I highly suggest she spend a considerable amount of time analyzing her own kitchen habits and design a kitchen based on that instead of worrying so much about symmetry.

And I agree that the GE Monogram range is gorgeous. If I could be converted to a pro gas range it would be a strong contender, especially since a good friend of ours is a GE dealer and could get us a great price :)

JAN MOYER

Monogram IS a pro gas range and you can also have propane top AND oven. Convert what if I may ask?

• shead

I mean if I could be converted from my preference of a separate cooktop and ovens, I'd look at the GE monogram range.

• Lori Wagerman_Walker

Just random input... I don't USUALLY need two ovens, I am not a baker. However, I do bake a lot of food, just not baked goods. I did a standard gas range and a micro/oven combo. I LOVE it. :)

Oddly enough, I usually use the wall oven, and the range top. The range oven is mostly extra pan storage (for convenience not b/c I don't have enough storage.) When I need them both, they're invaluable!

FWIW

laura_mdick thanked Lori Wagerman_Walker
  • tangerinedoor

Moyer: "I MUST be dense! ..."

Hmmm....

"....As with all other spaces, you plan for most of the time. You plan for the daily grind. Not flan."

Looks like you mis-read my post. If you'll notice, I listed casseroles, an old "daily grind" standby.

Let me see... taco lasagna, vegetarian lasagna, stew, shepherd's pie, goulash, chicken divan, macaroni and cheese, scalloped potatoes, stuffing, tuna-noodle.... And, as I mentioned, the hot fruit combinations with toppings.

Besides, the OP spends time preparing and serves many people. This is not someone who seems to be remotely limited to "daily grind" cookery.

Flan, for those who've never tried it, is a fancy version of simple baked egg custard, a favorite kids' dessert in my family, topped with fruit.