Software
Houzz Logo Print
karenr__sternberg

How Much Do I Love Variegates?

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Well, now that posting pix works again, I don't recall seeing conversations about Variegates, which I really love. But I'm partial to white variegation, I don't care for the yellow at all, looks sickly to me.

So here's my variegates, how about sharing some of yours?


Recently purchased Hoya Carnosa Krimson Queen, but w/ unusually thin leaves, reminds me of Ficus benjamina which I'll show shortly. This is very healthy & growing vigorously, am tempted to go back & get another one.

Closer


Another recent find, same source, looks a bit yellow/white.

An Aralia, Polysicas common name Parsley leaf.


I have the solid green of these now too, seems I wish to collect various Polyscias.

I've struggled to learn to grow Ficus benj for several yrs.


I finally got it, this one is several yrs. growing w/ me, in my mixes. I like the form & natural grace of this plant, next Spring I may try to shape it a bit.

My Sans Bantel's Sensation, from Stush.


I love this striped look (sorry for the blur), but this plant does little, thinks it's a piece of furniture, but still, it's so handsome.

So pls, won't you share YOUR variegates w/ us?

(Perhaps I might ask no Jades pls as their variegates seem plenty well covered in the multiple Jades threads.)

Comments (30)

  • 6 years ago

    Beautiful, Karen. I love variegates, too. Up in VT right now, will post pics when I get home :-)

    Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked stupidlazydog CT zone 5b/6a
  • 6 years ago

    Most of mine are Jades, of course, but I do have a few other variegates.

    Most notably, 'Bantel's Sensation.'

    Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
  • 6 years ago

    I don’t have many variegated plants, just your usual suspects, a Chinese evergreen, a spider plant, perhaps my rubber tree which is multicoloured, I am assuming my snake plants might be, perhaps the agave could be considered variegated. I just acquired a Gasteria that is stripey, variegated? I don’t know. Sometimes I like variegated plants and sometimes I don’t, they are also usually weaker than non variegated.

  • 6 years ago

    My favorite, Persian shield. It stays outside all year, loses a lot of leaves in the fall bounces back in the spring.

  • 6 years ago

    Karen beautiful! Does that HOya grow red new growth too? I like it. I will share some pic later when I get home. Vareigates are my favorites if they fragrant even.

    Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
  • 6 years ago

    Hey, Mike! You have some of the best variegates out there!


    Josh

  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago



  • 6 years ago




    not sure if these are variegated, this one is still a baby, it will get purple blocks between the veins

  • 6 years ago

    Josh, don't tell me, is that the sensation a sent you years back? It's popping out of the side of the pot and flowering to boot. Wow buddy. NIce and cool.

    JW, I have always liked the colored ficus or rubber tree. Nice. I love the red new growth!

    Elena, what perfect beautiful fully developed tree. Wow, no flaws


  • 6 years ago

    Mike, exactly! Yes it has totally broken that pot! It flowered very nicely this season. I want to separate it and give a piece of it to my girlfriend for her apartment. She also really loves variegated plants.


    Josh

  • 6 years ago

    I hate to potentially turn the variegate love-in against me, but I find they REALLY need some nicd solids to help them stand out. In my jungle (30+ plants in my office, 30+ at home) I find I need about ⅔ solid, ⅓ variegated) to make the variegated show properly. Otherwise the room is a busy mish mash of white stripes, so busy that they don’t show well.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    There‘s a coupLe of variegated plants here: a pair of sanseveria pots, the baby agave desmettiana variegata plants on the buffet table and the Ficus elastica variegata in the far corner.


  • 6 years ago

    Some plants are pretty much only available as variegated. I agree, in outdoor gardens in particular, you can overdo the variegated plants, but in a darker space, they are like a pool of light.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I have always said 'If poison Ivy was variegated, then I'll have some and itch'. I love Sans, Agaves and Aloes so any variegated the better.






  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    More'




  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    More'








  • 6 years ago





    My favorite topic! Karen, your Aralia is just gorgeous.

  • 6 years ago

    Love all of these! Here are a few of mine...

    Euphorbia poissonii variegata


    Monadenium ritchiei variegata


    another variegated Monadenium ritchiei, this time with white instead of yellow

  • 6 years ago

    a few more...

    Monadenium stapelioides variegata


    Huernia zebrina variegata


    A variegated Hoya carnosa grown from a cutting of my mother's plant

  • 6 years ago

    Still more (I'm a sucker for anything variegated)

    Hoya kentiana variegata


    Bougainvillea 'Orange Ice'


    a variegated Astrophytum

  • 6 years ago

    Those variegated cacti and succulents are pretty wild. I am at cacti level 101 here.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Wow folks, nice variegates!!! Some kind of bizarre; that 1st Monadenium, the columnar one looks other-worldly. So glad folks are posting here.

    Elena: lovely F. benj, nice & full. I wish mine would use yours as a role model.

    Josh: Cool how your Bantels is escaping its pot, nice blooms too.

    Variegate nuts eh Stush? Yikes, your collection gets bigger & bigger.

    More later, time permitting.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Opuntia "Joseph's Coat"

    Tried to add pic four times, but won't take. Sorry.

  • 6 years ago

    Randi, You have to reduce the size of your picture for Houzz to take. Some times I hit Submit then back to edit and add another picture for it to take.

  • 6 years ago

    Portulacaria afra f. variegata 'Tricolor'



Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio