Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carladucray

kitchen backsplash advice

Carli
4 years ago

I am interested in buying a new range and microwave. My current range is freestanding and fits into a built in area with a small amount of space on the sides. The current backsplash does not go all the way across the wall, allowing the current range to fit closer to the wall. I now want to purchase a stainless steel Samsung induction range and it will be about the same height as the countertop or maybe an inch or so higher. The back of the wall will now be exposed where there is no existing backsplash tile. I'm not sure how to handle this. I'm thinking some sort of a complimentary backsplash, maybe as wide (from the wall) as the current tile ~ maybe all black that is the width of the stove and goes all the way up to the microwave bottom. My kitchen was remodeled 12 years ago, so I'm not looking to spend a lot of money removing what I already have. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (11)

• Christan Tummings
    4 years ago

just put subway tile

Carli thanked Christan Tummings
  • M
    4 years ago

If you don't want to take off the short granite backsplash & add tile

The 6" granite is a slightly dated look. Nothing wrong with that. Lots of kitchens do this. But it does look odd, if you then add tile right above it. So, if you decide to tile the entire wall, you'd have to get rid of that piece of granite.

That is absolutely an option. A good contractor should be able to do so without you ever noticing that there used to be a mini-backsplash where you now have tile.

But a sheet of stainless steel just behind the range is much cheaper. It shouldn't cost much more than $50 from your local metal yard. Maybe, $100 tops.

Carli thanked M
  • agmay
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

With SS you'll be a slave to cleaning it. Get some great tile and do the entire wall up to the cabinets. Statement! Or, frame the area directly behind the stove, use simpler, coordinating field tile on the sides.

• wdccruise
    4 years ago

I recommend you compare the location of your electrical outlet with the dimensions of the cutout on the back of the new range as shown in the installation manual. If the outlet is in the wrong place -- mine was too high -- you won't be able to push the range back against the wall.

• eam44
    4 years ago

It’s not a rare or particularly expensive stone, is it? Call your stoneyard, ask for a remnant to make a 4” bs piece that will span the entire wall.

• badabing2
    4 years ago
  • M
    4 years ago

@agmay,With SS you'll be a slave to cleaning it.

We have stainless steel behind the range in our in-law kitchen. I put it there, because the previous owner hadn't installed any backsplash, but I didn't want to do anything expensive for the small in-law space. This was about 10 years ago, and it was a great call. Cleaning is easy an minimal. In practice, you don't get the backsplash dirty on each meal. And if you do, it's easy to wipe down, as there are no grout lines.

If in doubt, a tiny squirt of Bayes stainless cleaner does wonders.

The other recommendations in this thread are fine too. But stainless is the most cost-effective, pragmatic, and easy to maintain. Would do it all over again, if I had to. But then, I got the stainless sheet for a steal. My local metal yard only wanted just over $30, and that included cutting it to size. I am sure it'll cost a little more these days.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

First, you should reconsider the Samsung range and go with a GE instead. Samsung has a bad service reputation, and often you wait weeks for parts. The GE has a much better service record, and you can always get parts. The Cafe series is really attractive, but a bit more than the Samsung. However, the regular GE line is around the same price and would be a much better choice long term. Can you remove the 4 inch granite backsplash? If so, remove that 4 inch section and use inexpensive subway tile to tile from the counters all the way up to the cabinets above.

• PRO
    Imperial Flooring Inc.
    4 years ago

Backsplashes · More Info

Backsplashes · More Info

Backsplashes · More Info

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    4 years ago

Don't go with black as this will darken your space and I don't think it would go well with your cabinets and countertop. I would go with a simple tile backsplash and get rid of the piece of granite currently on the wall. Polished Crema Marfil if you want to keep up with the cream tones or beveled and polished marble Greecian White if you'd like to break up the beiges would look great. Good luck with your project!