musaboru

Finding a source for Evelyn

Dar

It appears that this David Austin rose is just about out of stock or unavailable for immediate order from any US mail order nursery. I am sure it will be available again as own-root from nurseries like Roses Unlimited or Long Ago Roses when they resume their shipping season.

The main thing I am concerned over is David Austin Roses not having it in stock to pre-order the 2020 season. It really does seem like they will be dropping it off their catalog.

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)

Based on Lisa’s comment that E does great in dry heat, maybe that’s why it doesn’t do as well in the UK? I hope they don’t also discontinue it here in the US - it’s such a classic, and seems to do well for a lot of people.

• bayarea_girl_z9ca

Based on HMF, Evelyn has their US patent as "Patent No: PP 8,680 on 12 Apr 1994". I believe rose plants' patents expired in 20 years, so it's OK to share Evelyn cuttings if there's a day that DA no longer sells Evelyn. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Helen

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

It has been out of patent for a while and roots easily.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

I am going to pick up my DA roses in Tyler on Friday. I will ask if they plan to discontinue this rose or not. Seems I recall they had no plans to do so, but I will ask.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Could you also ask if they have discontinued Field Roebuck? I didn't see it this year and have been patiently waiting for it to return to stock. I know they discontinued Ghislaine de Feligonde as well as Phyllis Bide. That was very disappointing. I guess I can just call and ask myself.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

That would be Antique Rose Emporium - I am going to David Austin. I did ask ARE some time ago about about Field Roebuck - had been waiting forever for it to be offered. ARE told me it was very hard to root so had a hard time getting enough to offer. Wouldnt hurt to call - they might have a few........I dont see how DA can discontinue Evelyn - would bet it is one of their best sellers. Am going to try to find an area where I can put a little hedge of them..........

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I need to read more closely. I had just read your other answer and got confused!!! That's easily done around here! : D

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

Lisa, those are truly glorious photos of Evelyn. Mine are never that colorful, although I do like the more pale version also. This is about as much color as I get.

Fading to pale:

But still looking good, especially considering that they arrived looking like this:

So I can attest to the toughness of Evelyn.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Oh my gosh whoever sent that should be embarrassed! Yikes

I can’t wait to see mine bloom !!

• cyndita (west coast zone 9)

noseometer - wow - that is an amazing recovery!!!

• Lisa Adams

Noseometer, that’s incredible that those Evelyns survived at all, let alone recovered so well. She really does like a hot dry climate best, I think. I know you get cold during the winter, and had snow a few weeks ago. You also get very hot and dry, during the summers, yes? I think the difference in our elevations may also play a role in Evelyn’s color. While you’re at 5000+ elevation, I’m at 565 elevation. I sure remember how sunburned I’d get in the mountains, even after a summer of working in my garden. The sun is intense at high elevations. Of course, soil, water, fertilizers can all also affect color. My pictures were mostly from her spring flush, before the really brutal heat begins. I definitely get lighter colors as things heat up around here, looking much like yours. I like all of her colors, and enjoy the variety. Yours are so perfectly shaped! My last Evelyn blooms were a bit misshapen, due to our up and down temperatures. I haven’t pruned my Evelyn yet this year. Each time I’m reminded of how beautiful a particular rose is, the further up on my pruning list it goes. I really do need to move Evelyn up near the top. I love this rose. Lisa

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

All of these Evelyns are so gorgeous! I decided to put mine in the ground even though she isnt thrilled with FL. She is one of my few roses that seems to deeply resent being potted. The other one I have, that hates being in a pot is Eden..Imagine that, the 2 haughty Divas, Evelyn & Eden both hate pots! Its like The Princess and the Pea, "I can feel that ucky hard plastic pot on my roots way under that potting soil" lol.

I usually get a good spring flush on Evelyn but the color isnt as deep and lovely as some other people's.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

It's amazing how different the flowers look depending on location/conditions. They are all lovely, but they almost look like different varieties.

Lisa, I'm close to 7,000 feet in elevation, being in the foothills, and the sun is intense as you mention. Being this high, the day/night differential is quite large, and there is usually 30-40 degree difference between day and night. It's snowing right now, and there are usually a couple nights a year that get into the single digits. Summers can be around 100 with humidity levels 5-15%. So without the moisture in the air, the sun is that much more intense. My Evelyns don't always produce such perfectly formed blooms, but usually a more refined look than I see in photos showing a looser look. I'm leaving the long canes on Evelyn this year, just to see what she does with them.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Sultry, I love the Princess and the Pea reference. So true and funny. My Evelyns in front don't get quite enough sun, and boy do they show their objections to that. The Evelyn in back just objects to everything.

Noseo, you know we've mentioned our similar weather, though you're much farther south. This time of year, your highs are warmer than here, but our lows are similar, and in the summer, we often run nearly the same temps. It's altitude vs latitude for us. Diane

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)

Diane, I wonder if that is why Jude just doesn't want to grow here (for me or at the public garden) but yours is enormous? Maybe that minimal difference just hits what Jude is picky about? I still would think that most roses would do similarly for us. I use your garden as an inspiration.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Noseo, that could be, but I have read nothing about what makes Jude grow large. I do think Jude is a pickier rose than, say, Brother Cadfael, which grows next to Jude in my garden. Jude is definitely the most cold tender of my Austins, while Bro shrugs off any kind of cold the weather has to offer. Roses are like men....who can figure them out? Just joking there, and twisting the old canard around against puzzling women. Diane

• Nola z5aWI

What fragrant rose would you put next to Evelyn so as not to conflict with her fragrance? Maybe something a little more prolific than Evelyn.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Diane, how tall and wide is your JtO? I have mine in a pot still but now I am thinking of making some kind of layered rose bed with apricots cream, peachy blushes, and oranges..Im wondering if JtO would get bigger than Penelope? lol

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Sultry, I hate to make predictions because of the extreme differences in your climate, soil, etc, compared to mine. My Jude is not as large as he once was because of dieback during the extreme winter of 2016-7, though each year since, he was grown larger. I'd say the range is almost 7 feet to nearly 9 feet years ago (I've grown him for 15 years). What kind of winter we have can make a difference. Is Penelope a hybrid musk? I'm not familiar with the size of this rose. I haven't been much help, I'm afraid. Here's an old pic of Jude. The wall/fence is about nine feet tall. It's how I measure those roses growing in front of it. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Brother Cadfael is to the left of Jude. Diane

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Yes Penelope is a hybrid musk who *can* get 8ft high x 5ft wide per hmf. Mine ws started from a cutting a few yrs ago and is nowhere near that big but I can see it lol.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Wow that is HUGE! I didnt realize Brother Cadfael got that big either. We dont hear as much about BC on this forum. I wouldn't mind if my Jude got that big as long as whatever I plant behind it gets bigger lol. I'm making a layered look bed in front of a chicken coop/run area.

Thanks for posting that photo :)

• Nola z5aWI

Sultry, a picture of your Penelope please? I just put one in a year ago and it's very slow to start.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Nola, my Penelope didn't make it due to cold temperature last winter and spring freeze/thaw. I would be curious to know the zone for people growing it well.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)

Wow Diane that is some roses you have there. Wait aren’t you the one who live in an oasis in the desert? It has been a while, I am trying to remember. You are the queen of Julia Child roses, or did I mistake you for another poster.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Vapor, Hmf rates Penelope to zn 5b for cold hardiness..Im in a 9a so cant advise lol..maybe start a thread to see who has it in what zone etc.

Nola, I will have to try and get a pic of tge whole plant. It isnt big or lush or anything yet because its been potted and kinda neglected lol. I am sinking it in the ground once I get all my DAs that are arriving today squared away. Then I will take a pic..

Heres some of blooms...they are white and blush tinged at times.

Buds are pink..leaves stay fairly green and healthy here.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Sorry for all the typos I'm on my phone and not home so its horrible for typing lol

• Nola z5aWI

Thank you Sultry, those are beautiful! It will be interesting to see if it makes it, though we've had a mild winter so far. It sure didn't do much since I put it in fall 2018.

Vapor, I'll be curious to see how it does too! Thanks!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Mine was a cutting but it also basically just sat there the first year..never even bloomed. Last fall is the first time ot bloomed alot and started taking off.

All bees and butterlies just love Penelope's flowers. The same tiny bees that are obsessed w this white fragrant tropical waterlily are also obsessed with Penelope.

tiny bees on waterlily.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Gorgeous Penelope, Sultry! My little plant hasn’t bloomed yet, but this gives me hope! :-)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Thanks :) I think she must take her time. Maybe a grafted one would be quicker? I wouldnt mind trying her grafted.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Sultry, tiny bees, tiny froggies, do you live in Tinyland? I just love them all, but we don't want tiny roses, right? Diane

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

That may be why she died: she just didn't grow large enough her first season to survive a harsh winter. I lost Sally Holmes that same year and she is also meant to be Z5. You may be in luck with the relatively warmer winter, although it's cold again today. I'm glad I resisted planting out any roses.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Haha Diane...its so odd that you said that because not an hour ago, I was marveling at the tiniest little perfect rose on Eglantyne. I dont know why its this small..must be our crazy weather..hot,cold,hot,cold. They were a lot bigger last fall. Probably another Diva.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Mine also varies seasonally, so it must be the weather. Does she BS for you in Fl? She's horrible here after the first flush, but I love her so she stays.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

How wide is your cute, tiny rose, sultry? I wonder if the froggies will find her, and she will be a small vacation home for them. After four Eglantyne's and 30? years (since the year she came out), and at two homes, I have to say she's more delicate than Evelyn. She can't take the heat and sun well, and her blooms don't last long for me in this climate. I'm down to one 15 year old plant now. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Oops, US patent granted 1996. I got her soon after that. Diane

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Vapor, yes she does blackspot. The hootchie mama is half naked right now lol.

Diane I will measure her tomorrow. The blooms dont last long here when its warm either. All I have to say is, people warned me, and I didn't listen lol.

• Nola z5aWI

Sultry, how big is your Penelope? I know mine won't get as large as yours so I'm curious.

Nanadoll, Evelyn is delicate? In what way? Does she fall apart with wind and rain?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

She's not delicate, Nola, but has to have lots of sun or her bloom repeat is affected. And one of my Evelyn's sets lots of buds, and then takes weeks to open them. I was being silly because Evelyn is quite tough and very good in our hot sun and dry air, which she worships. Her blooms are among the longer lasting of the Austin's I grow, and they do not fall apart in wind and rain, though the occasional cane might snap off in very high wind. I apologize for being misleading. I just get so frustrated with the tree shade which I spend a fortune on to lessen with pruning and limbing up--to no avail. Evelyn likes lots of water, too, but out system is great about that. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Peekaboo. Diane

• Nola z5aWI

Thank you Diane! I have always been curious as to how vigorous and floriferous it is. Everyone raves on the fragrance and no one around here sells it, so it's mystery is a draw! lol Those are gorgeous pictures of it though. I'm gonna give it a go! p.s. A little dynamite can take care of that shade problem! ;)

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

Nola, you're doing way better than I am if you can overwinter Penelope in Wisconsin. I tried that rose at least 3 times, including my virtual zone 6 pocket, and it always failed to overwinter. The extra snow cover you get probably makes a world of difference in you being able to winter over many of these kinds of roses, since it's always 32 degrees under the snow.

Vap, in response to your questions I don't think either Penelope or Sally Holmes is remotely a zone 5 rated rose except perhaps under copious and continual snow cover. Both of those roses died without a trace over my zone 5 Nebraska winters, and it unfortunately doesn't surprise me that they died in your milder zone 6 Ohio winters. I suspect that both are zone 7 preferences to do well, with survival and some bloom in protected zone 6 or deeply snow covered zone 5.

As for Evelyn, I failed to overwinter her in a typical zone 5 spot, but she came through last winter in my zone 6 pocket. She's like the dark red Austins that aren't really zone 5 roses but will tolerate the cold under protected conditions. Mine hasn't bloomed much yet in her second year so I can't tell if her fragrance will be detectable to me at all (most roses aren't). I

n answer to your fragrance question Nola, I'd put an apricot toned rose with a old rose fragrance next to her and avoid the musks. Something like Lady of Shalott or Tamora would work I think if you want to stay with the Austins, and since Evelyn is likely to stay short in cold zones the heights might be OK.

Cynthia

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Cynthia, I think the differences in our climates is that I always have a couple of feet of snow cover, but I'm going to get a taste of what z5 without a consistent snow cover is like this year. I'm sure my garden has been freezing and thawing all winter, and after a good snowfall, we get a week of rain. Then, it starts over again. I'm holding my breath waiting for spring to see what's left.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Thank Cynthia. Unless I grow it from a cutting, I'm not wasting any more money on Penelope. : (( Peter Schneider doesn't recommend it for z5 and says it's iffy in 6 along with many Hybid Musks. Sally Holmes, however, will grow quite large here, but not in Z5. I think my original one died as I had both her and Penelope at the bottom of a hill where the cold air would fall, so what you would call a virtual Z5 probably. Combined with freeze/thaw, it was just too much of a bad thing for them both. FWIW, in those conditions Pink Pet, Chuckles, Bubble Bath, the HM Belinda and White Medilland have done really well.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)

I live in zone 5b in Toronto and I can say that Evelyn does do well in my zone. She does not grow as tall as those in warmer climate but she does do very well. I also agree that she loves water. I remember the best year for her in my garden was when it was a wet summer. Mine is about 4 feet tall and depending on the season, she can be quite vigorous.

Garden pics · More Info

Garden pics · More Info

Garden pics · More Info

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)

These are old pics that some of you may remember that I have posted a few years back.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

JJ, Your Evelyn photos are beautiful! I'm glad to hear she does well in your zone.

Diane, I love your cute Peekaboo Evelyn blooms. She's such a flirt!