FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

gardengems

Documenting Alocascia recovery process

gardengems
December 8, 2019

A friend had a couple sad looking Alocasia at her shop. I agreed to take them on as a recovery project. Once I was able to inspect them closely, one had a bad case of spider mite. Both were not getting the light and warmth they require. I left them in the rain overnight.

I removed all the leaves on the one completely covered in s.m. and all but one leaf on the other.

I took them out of their pots. They came planted in pure bark mulch with at least two hand fulls of CR fertiliser in each pot. I have never in all my career seen this much fertiliser in any plant pot.

One was just starting to make a small bulb the other did not have one at all. I assume they were grown from tissue culture.

Unfortunately my best option for a pot was 5". I don't have anything any larger that will fit in my grow area. They really need minimum of 8", but 5" will have to do. I used my tropical plant potting mix, called Tropical Rainforest with beneficial microbes. I gave them both a good dose of slow release Palm food with micros.

I washed them off really good before I brought them in the house. After being potted they were treated with a systemic miticide/insecticide.

They are now just off to the side of a 1000W grow light.

They may recover. I will keep an eye out for larger pots that still fit in my space. Until then, if I can keep them well fed and watered they might just return to being beautiful specimens. If they don't nothing lost and life experience gained.

Comments (5)

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268