Bathroom remodel- closet/door dilemma

Jaclyn Denton

Hi! I am remodeling a bathroom. the bathroom door and closet door open into each other. I thought about getting rid of the closest but :

1. I lose the storage

2. it would need to be empty space as the door would just open there (can’t extend the vanity bc door will hit it.)

i can’t move the door to the other side as all the doors in my hallway enter the same way and it will look odd from the outside.

any suggestion?

1. Remove closet and leave empty space

2. keep Closet

3. make open shelving there instead

second question:

I wanted to tile the entire wall the vanity is on but if I keep the closet I’m wondering it it will look weird to leave the one side without tiles?

all suggestions ideas appreciated!

• scottie mom

Is the door to your bathroom really only 1’-7”??

If you do anything to this room, I’d recommend making the door a more comfortable size, and swinging against the blank wall, as Jan suggested above. Do that first. No tradesman is going to want to walk sideways into that room to tile an entire wall.

• valinta

Put a pocket door entry into bathroom, kids won’t close it. OR
    open shelves, will always be messy,but organizers will help. OR
    leave as is. If you don’t go in often, only temporary till kids leave and you gut and remodel.
    Tile on closet wall? No, but a 4” backsplash in same tile as on back wall will help, which I would do for entire vanity instead of all wall tile. Use a really good pait on wall for clean up.

Remodeling a laundry closet adjacent to bathroom

Hi Cecile, interesting dilemma. Photos, please ?

Old master bath need help,Need help on a bathroom/closet remodel

Remove all items except attached, please give us a floor plan with locations of main necessities. Photo all walls & you'll get wanted & unwanted advice.

Need help with bathroom and closet remodel

Hi there Thanks so much love your ideas. Cannot move the window as it's on outside of the house. Also cannot move the door on the long side of the area as its going into out bedroom. Inside measurements meaning with drywall etc? Yes. The total area we have to work with which includes a closet is the 8x11 and the door on the 8ft side goes to a living room (where you have marked closet door) and we plan to close that off. thank you for your help any other ideas are welcome. :-) The cabinets don't have to stay once we find a way to put a small walk in in the space as well.

Bathroom remodel dilemma

There is no definite answer to that. I've seen pictures where it looks great and pictures where it looks hideous. It depends on how different they are from one another, how big is the space (as in, a faucet in a tiny condo bathroom with a bronze light inches away from it will be way worse than in a large bathroom with more breathing room between them), and whether both of them go with other elements in the bathroom. If everything, like towel bars etc. is chrome and then there is one single bronze thing, it will look like an oversight.
  • felizlady

The “final draft” shows door measurements of 1’6” and 1’7”. That can’t be correct. It also shows the closet door opening into the closet space which is absurd. If these are actual true measurements, store towels inside the vanity cabinets, remove the closet door and add open shelving for bathroom supplies.

• Jaclyn Denton

I should of said gutting the entire bathroom instead of remodeling.

JAN MOYER

So. Do as I said above in the "better yet" option: )

• Jaclyn Denton

Jan do you think it’s odd that every Visible door from the hallway upstairs opens that way but I would be changing one to open the other way

JAN MOYER

I think it is a NON issue! You have a typo.....no humans go through 18 inch doors : )

JAN MOYER

Is this a master bath, a guest......what? What is on the 7'6" side as I assume SOME bedroom?

• Jaclyn Denton

Yes the insurance adjust wrote that dimension wrong. Thanks for noticing. It’s a standard door. As for the other side it’s my sons bedroom on the blank wall that we can’t open.

• drblount10

Did not know the extent of your remodel. I agree then with Jan Moyer. If you set up a vanity with tons of storage below and on the sides up the wall, you may not need the little closet. Electrician may be able to move light switch and outlet. If this is a gut then you can tile the whole thing if you wish. Keep us posted!

JAN MOYER

My bet is that is your sons closet? Does he need nearly eight feet? You CAN steal from that....if it is a closet

• Kate

Mount an automatic door closing mechanism to the inside of the closet door. Not sure it there is such a thing, but would be nice. I’m always closing doors!

• Sammy

What, may I ask, is the impetus for this remodel?

• Jaclyn Denton
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Our bathtub had a big crack in it that leaked into our entire kitchen
  • Jaclyn Denton

Not sure why my comment showed up like that. We are redoing the bathroom bc there is a giant crack in the tub that leaked into our entire kitchen. Since we are redoing it I was trying to get rid of things that bother me.

1. The doors hitting
    2. The light switch being far from the door that my kids never shut it off because they are afraid of the dark
    3. A more modern look
      I’ll add this is a bathroom for my 3 kids
    JAN MOYER

Don't reinvent a wheel

Creative Design Cabinetry

I don't see any advantage to removing the closet.

• Sammy

I wouldn’t move the vanity over to the right as Jan suggested because the door will swing into the person using that right-hand sink.

What I would do is:

• switch the door to swing into the wall on the left
    • relocate the main light switch to the entry door wall between the door and the linen closet
    • replace closet with floor-to-ceiling cabinetry that has self-closing doors and drawers (like those found in upper-end kitchen cabinets)

Btw, is that the main linen closet for that floor? If so, you could change it to have hall-side access.

JAN MOYER

The closet is TALL BULK at the entry door. Really........how hard is it to knock? Three kids are sharing.

I'd rather have a little sense of privacy at the loo. : )

She's got nearly a seven foot width. She needs 22 inches for vanity and a 28 inch door and casing. Should be close to two feet left to clear a fanny.

• Becky Nelson

I would reframe the bathroom door so it swings out into the hall. I know that’s wrong but so what.
    Then get a new vanity with a privacy ledge to the toilet. Get one new big sink and
    new mirror and light fixture.

• Lisa Dipiro

I wouldn’t put the sinks near the door. You’ll hit the person using the sink

You could take Jan’s drawing and just put the linen tower by the door, to avoid the complaint about fanny-hitting. It still would mean removing the full depth closet and installing a vanity-depth tower with drawers below instead. Hopefully all dirty laundry resides in kids’ rooms. If not, you could put hamper below tower. I actually prefer not to reverse Jan’s drawing, but you could.

• AJCN

I would recommend that you reduce to 1 sink. We've got 4 kids, and as they have gotten older, counter space and storage is more important than an extra sink.

I really like putting electrical inside the tower, and low/ turned sideways on the outside of the tower. You could have a nice drawer stack under the tower; great storage for small items.

• AJCN

I have a storage tower with electrical inside and outside. It's very functional. Also, it is slightly elevated above counter top by sitting on an extra piece of slab to protect from water damage. Inexpensive design choice to prevent future expensive damage to cabinet is totally worth the small cost. If you put electrical on outside, put a false-front drawer piece at the bottom of the tower. It's functional bc things can still sit there an not get knocked off by opening a little drawer or the cabinet door.

• Olychick

Just make the bathroom door swing OUT into the hallway, if your hallway is wide enough that code would allow that.

I disagree with the suggestion to swing the door outwards.

This is a pretty normal bathroom as far as the overall layout is concerned. The toilet waste stack does not need to be moved, and tub/shower can stay where it is.

The homeowner just needs to decide how they want to configure the vanity area and storage solution.

• Becky Nelson

I previously said to reframe the bathroom door to swing out. You should have enough room to put in a 24 inch door. I didn’t realize you only had a 1’7” door.

• North Texan

Becky, that dimension is wrong, as noted above.

A swing out door with three kids is asking for trouble.

Could the closet be reconfigured to have half (or a bit more) a linen closet, accessed from the hall, and the remainder open storage for the bathroom? If so, reversing the door swing would allow the light switches to be placed right inside the bathroom, on the wall of the linen closet and right at hand when you open the flipped swinging door. If the door is flipped, it also allows you to make the remaining closet storage closed-in with narrow doors that don’t overlap with the entry door. If that would result in too deep a storage space for its width, then the back portion could be open storage for the vanity, possibly with power.

• srea123

Change the bathroom door to swing left into the bathroom rather than the right. It will not look weird from the hallway if it swings left and all the other doors swing right. You won’t even notice. I’m looking at all my interior doors right now and some swing left and some swing right depending on what’s on the other side. That is normal. I would keep the linen closet but make the depth 15” or so. You don’t need a full depth 24” closet to store linens. Pushing the closet back 9” should give you plenty of room to be able to move your light switch right by the door.

• srea123

Also I’m not sure the exact measurements, but I believe if you add a bifold door to a 15” depth closet the main door would still be able to clear it even when left open. (15” + 12” of door =27” which it looks like you have before the door frame)

• D M

Put a motion sensor on the light and it will shut itself off.

• Lisa Dipiro

Can’t change the swing on the door. The knobs will get hung up on each other I’d the closet isn’t closed

• Alice Edwards

Just chiming in, not a pro, but is there a way to utilize side interior wall of closet (closest to entry) for a thicker wall to incorporate a pocket door?

• Alice Edwards

Any progress with your situation?

• noiriht

Just a suggestion but you could remove door and door jam and open up the opening to have several 2” thick shelving. Solves your storage issue and your door issue.

• nmtr

I had a similar problem. I made the bathroom door a pocket door with a locking mechanism on the circular pull. I even used the same door... just used it into a pocket door.

• kimberlake

Definitely a pocket door for the bathroom entrance. I have used them as an entrance to a bathroom and to a laundry room and would gladly use them again in a limited space.

• bdacy

Love the idea of a pocket door of if your hallway is wide enough, a barn door. They’re so aesthetically pleasing. So I love tile but I would only go up so far n the a put chair rail. I find you need tile behind the toilet to keep it clean! It if u go up all the way it’s too hard to change our light fixtures and hang pictures.

• Olychick

I have a pocket door on a bathroom and I'm very happy with it. I would not, however, use a barn door on a bathroom. There is no way to prevent the gap that occurs from the way the door is mounted on the hardware. If you search these sites you'll find threads asking for help about how to fix the gap on their barn doors. Doesn't seem to be an easy way.

• rachann61

Homeowner: have you made any progress and/or decisions? Unless you want to completely gut the room and hire pros (spend$$$) I would remove the closet door and organize the closet with great containers. Paint and tile, if you want to try to do it yourself, the single wall the vanity is on. Or not tile. I think the room will look nice and function better without the door competing. I trick will be keeping the closet tidy. Good luck with let us know how it goes

• Becky Nelson

Many people are mentioning pocket doors. They have to be framed while the house is built. Otherwise need to remove partial hallway wall to frame it. Too much work and expense.

• kimberlake

I disagree that a pocket door is too much work and expense. There is extra work and you have to have someone who knows what they are doing. But for the long-term, I think it is well worth the effort. I have done three. Everybody loved them.

Personally I would wall off the current closet door and make the closet accessible from the hallway. Maybe two doors on the top half and drawers or another set of doors on the bottom half. Then you have space to move the light switch a small distance around the corner to what will be blank wall where the closet door is now. The current closet door would drive me nuts too.

• Lisa Dipiro

I would never make the bathroom closet inaccessible from the bathroom... say you’re wet and need towels? Maybe make the closet space top two cabinet doors with shelves and the bottom half drawers

• Becky Nelson

I like the idea of closet door in hallway too. I was going to mention it also. That house upper floor picture shows plenty of room. Also that house does not suit a pocket door into the bathroom. It’s really a problem that can be fixed if properly done.

Symmetrical flooring

I personally would have a tile shower ,waterproof throughout, I would also waterproof the outside of the shower as well, go curb less, you want an update and you want something nice, forget pocket door, keep it simple but nice.

Vinki Li Ltd.

I would suggest to cancel the storage room, shift the double mirror and sink set to the right, have a free-standing bath align with the windows in the middle, and move the toilet on the right bottom corner and have a smaller shower instead. Hope this helps.

• mmc429

Providing an update is terrific- thanks for doing so and great looking update!

• drblount10

I love your new bathroom! Your finishes and colors are classic and timeless. The shelves are perfect and match your vanity. Most importantly, no more wrestling with doors! Love everything! How is it working for the kids?