Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

Blooming Today -- Jan. 3, 2020

6 years ago

I can't grow the wonderful, fragrant old European once-bloomers here. No winter rest for them . . . But I am blessed to be surrounded by roses that are happy to begin to bloom now.


It's sunny, and 72 deg. out, with high, streaky clouds, and . . .


'Mrs. B.R. Cant'



"The China From Adina" (Found in my family's TX cemetery)


"Smith's Parish"


"De la Vina Mystery"


'G. Nabonnand'


'Mme. Lambard'




. . . And a few more . . .

Comments (19)

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you, Jeri! Just what I needed. All beautiful!

  • 6 years ago

    I can almost smell them from here! Gorgeous pictures.

  • 6 years ago

    Is the final image in the first post Annie Laurie McDowell?

  • 6 years ago

    Looks like her to me too.

  • 6 years ago

    Yes, indeed it is, Kim. 'Annie Laurie McDowell' with that one bloom open, and many buds ripening.

  • 6 years ago

    Unfortunately, now, (a new Houzz's Quirk, I guess) it won't allow me to edit.

  • 6 years ago

    Jerijen, those are beautiful! My favorite would have to be Mrs. B.R. Cant, what a beauty! Thanks for posting!

  • 6 years ago

    Nola -- A lady once told me that she thought Mrs. B.R. Cant smelled like "old ladie's bath powder."

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks, Jeri. Your roses are lovely and your photos are a welcome sight. Everything here is gray and dreary with a couple small exceptions. I have snowdrops and narcissus cantabricus blooming! Both are early birds here but they seem to be extra early this year. I've planted snowdrops throughout the yard but they've disappeared everywhere except one small spot in my pink/china rose bed. The snow white nodding bells remind me of pearl earrings. The narcissus cantabricus were new last year and rather pricey so I only planted a handful. Now I'm sorry that I didn't plant more, They look for all the world like small white megaphones. Not roses but they'll have to do until spring. Thank you, Jeri, for sharing yours with us.

  • 6 years ago

    Achh! Jeri what do you think it smells like? Lol

  • 6 years ago

    Nola -- Years of sinus problems have robbed me of the ability to smell a great many roses -- that one among them.


  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I love how roses bloom here in the winter! All yours are so beautiful. I just planted Annie Laurie McDowell and G. Nabonnand in my garden. I gave them both prime spots and have high hopes they will both get large. I have an aversion to very thorny roses so that’s part of the reason I have these two, but also due to glowing reports here about them.

  • 6 years ago

    Stephanie -- I LOVE hearing of people planting roses that not every source offers, and not every garden includes.

    That's how we preserve them -- and it's a joyous process.


  • 6 years ago

    They are all so lovely, Jeri! I treasure and love the winter blooming roses. It’s too bad I don’t have the space for as many as I’d like. You have such a wonderful collection of very special roses.

    I also instantly recognized Annie Laurie McDowell. I hope your nose is able to detect her scent. I was just enjoying ALMD’s scent a few days ago, and I don’t have the best working sniffer either. She’s one I can always smell, and what a wonderful smell it is! Lisa

  • 6 years ago

    YES! I can smell her!


  • 6 years ago

    Beautiful roses, Jeri: thanks! Our Teas have stayed in bloom as well, in an unusually sunny and mild winter. The prospect of what summer may bring dismays me, but for now I certainly am enjoying the weather, so different from our usual chilly damp gray in which the sun vanishes for days.

    'Mrs. B.R. Cant' to my nose has a fruity scent, not particularly Tea-ish but reminiscent of some Bourbons. I've long suspected her of kinship with that tribe. Also in bloom are 'General Schablikine', 'Safrano', 'Sanguinea', 'Comtesse de Cayla', 'Odorata', and 'Clementina Carbonieri' (of commerce), plus a few on 'Archduke Joseph'. The grass is green, the winter drought (after abundant November rains) finds the world fresh and pleasant. Hellebores are starting to bud and flower, and recently I saw the first winter aconite. It's been ideal weather for working, and I've been busy down in the woods.

  • 6 years ago

    Great to hear this report, Melissa.

  • 6 years ago

    They are all so lovely, Jeri! Thank you so much for posting—your photos are always so complimentary of each rose, as if you know their souls. :-)