irrelephantk

Need help selecting kitchen cabinets

irrelephantk

We have to come to a decision soon on our cabinets and island for our build. While I have always liked the look of all white cabinets, I fear that my family will be too hard on them, and I like the idea of a little warmth that wood would add. I thought a good compromise would be a two-tone kitchen with a wood-stained lower and white uppers.

At the top of the picture are two countertop options that are just ideas (Hanstone Montauk and Hanstone Bianco Canvas). The cabinet sample on the left is the wood stain I like the best next to the white sample. That's option 1, but I'm worried it will be too dark of a contrast from uppers to lowers? Option 2: We saw a model house yesterday with a kitchen that had the wood sample on the lowers and the grey sample (it's a warm grey but looks a little green-ish in the picture) on the uppers and I kind of like it, but at the same time, it seems "risky." Option 3: Go full wood stain. I worry that it will be too dark, but I could lighten up with light counters and backsplash.

Any thoughts, opinions, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• pamtheartist

I’ve had white perimeter cabinets and a stained wood island for 19 yrs. - I love the combination and think it’s classic, not trendy. The countertops are all the same and my antique table is the same color as the island. Also have black chairs as an accent. All white can look sterile plus show more wear ,and all wood often seems too dark. Go with your first instincts!

• Design Girl

I LOVE white kitchens. They are always classic and timeless. I'd do either all white, or all white with the stained island. Of course, it all depends on your floors. What have you chosen for floors?

Need help selecting kitchen cabinets

HI Dori, What cabinets did you pick out for your house? Would love to see an update of how they turned out!

need help selecting kitchen cabinets

Either cherry or white are timeless. I would make my decision based on the amount of light you get in there. If it tends to be darker, I would go with light cabinets and vice versa.

Need help selecting kitchen cabinets gel stain color

Antique Walnut Gel Stain is a very popular color. You can see other Antique Walnut Gel Stain kitchen makeovers as well as other colors in our Design Center at http://designs.generalfinishes.com/color-category/kitchen-bath-upcycled We have many tutorial videos on our YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/GeneralFinishes) but here are some you might find helpful: How To Upadte Kitchen Cabinets with Gel Stain - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgX5yE5rUbo How to Choose a Topcoat for Interior Applications: http://youtu.be/torOAQy91q4 How to Hand Apply Water Based Topcoat - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2sMjYUCtwg How to Prepare Existing Finishes: http://youtu.be/vdS0X_TgpMI

Need help on kitchen cabinet selection?

If I may, the photo of your kitchen makes it appear to be quite dark. Not much light so if your considering a kitchen remodel you may want to include some additional artificial lighting. That's what we did when we recently remodeled our Kitchen. As to the cabinetry color and wood choices we went with a natural Cherry in a Shaker design adding some custom furniture base ends on the lower cabinets and mixing up of the drawers vs cabinet doors style. we like it and think they will endure the test of time in terms of style With respect to lighting of we added lots of artificial light, which you can see in the lower photo. This included recessed WAC 3" square overhead LEDS (7), WAC under-counter strip LEDs encased in light trays (on all upper cabinets except above the fridge) and in the trim surround of the recessed ceiling which accents the tin ceiling. Before, this kitchen was dark and only had a 2-bulb fluorescent light fixture (excluding range hood light) so we increased lighting tremendously which allowed us to go with the darker cabinets (kitchen only has 1-one window). We also knew we'd be going with the darker/slate floor beforehand. Now this little kitchen is both highly functional and inviting. One might ask (before?)
  • irrelephantk

For those of you asking about floors, we haven’t chosen those yet but we are going with “luxury” vinyl planks. We have tile in our current kitchen and I hate dealing with trying to keep the grout clean.

Gcubed—good idea about accenting with wood elements to add warmth. I don’t want things to look too sterile.

Pamtheartist—what do you have for countertops?

• Design Girl

I'd rethink the wood in the kitchen if the floor is going to be vinyl.

• eld6161

I am not sure about what is trending, but the two-tone kitchen has been around for a while. I don't think that in itself dates the kitchen.

If you like this look and have liked it for a while, then go ahead.

I agree that you have to really be mindful of the floor. I happen to like the new LVP that is out today.

Will you be going with a wood look? If so you need to consider how it will look with the wood of the cabinets. They say it should have at least a two shade difference, either lighter or darker.

This can all be tricky. That is why I find an all-white kitchen easier. Mine here has a hardwood floor. In Florida, we went with LVP with my all-white kitchen.

Eagle Quality Construction LLC

I deal with a cabinet manufacture company I’m a GC I give same price I just make on labor

I will recommend White shaker Very modern today all over you see this Type of kitchen cabinets

• zorroslw1

No to 2 tone. Pick 1.

• Rekha Sreedhara

I went with grey upper and lower shaker cabinets that go to the ceiling, walnut island and white (some grey movement) quartz.

• Gcubed

Wow, that was quick! Is that yours or a model home? Looks nice. Enjoy.

ETA: oops! I quickly saw the poster and didn't realize it wasn't the OP!

• stillpitpat

^^that's not the OP's kitchen.

• Rekha Sreedhara

Just shared pictures to give OP idea of what it looks like with two different cabinet colors.

• salonva

I always have the hardest time making decorating decisions and was so thrilled when I decided to have the best of both worlds- white uppers and lowers and a stained wood island. The kitchen will be done (just ordered early December) and nothing is here yet, but I just thought it made the most sense. I like that you are getting such good feedback on it as well.

I am probably keeping my flooring which is porcelain tile. If I do change it, I am pretty sure I will go with more tile (either porcelain or LVT).

I love wood but I cannot have it in my kitchen. My dog is a wonderful dog, but he cannot drink without drooling all over the floor.

I am undecided about countertop. I really liked having dark counters in my last house and am still considering that. I need bulletproof. I am not sure if dark will also work on the darker (walnut stained cherry) island.

That's my long way of saying, following!

• RedRyder

I think all white cabinets and a wood island would be gorgeous. You need to remember that children don’t have to be “destroyers of houses”. White has been around as long as families have had kids. It’s classic and classy. Make sure the wood on the island works with the floor color you choose. If that wood stain is your favorite make the floor a complementary color. I’d bring your options to this group for help on the floor since the floor options could be extensive - and therefore sometimes confusing. As for the countertop, wait as long as you can for installation since the cabinets, floor and lighting will affect how it looks. Last is your backsplash.

Eagle Quality Construction LLC

I will recommend something like this kitchen
    Base on my experience the most of people are doing White kitchen cabinets Very modern today

• irrelephantk

Rekha—thank you for sharing your kitchen. The floor and island look great together. That’s one thing I’m worried about too.

Eagle—that’s a lovely kitchen. Very bright and open looking

• Kim Wilson

I did all medium toned wood, just like your sample and blue island. No seen no knicks. I love it! Do what you love and you wont get sick of it. Don’t go with trends, you will get sick of them.

• irrelephantk

Kim--I'd love to see pics of your kitchen. The problem is, I'm not sure I know what I love. I could care less about trendy. I have poured through pictures here, pinterest, instagram, etc. It's hard to decide!

• Kim Wilson

Here ya go irrelephantk

• megs1030

@irrelephantk, did you start making an ideabook? Just drop pictures in there as you see them. If something catches your eye, make a note and I bet after 20 or so pictures, you'll see a pattern of what you're drawn to.

• stillpitpat

^ that worked for me! I even surprised myself. What I thought I would be drawn to was not what ended up in my ideabook. It was super helpful.

• RedRyder

megs1030 is right! I collected photos for redoing my kitchen and started absolutely noticing a trend. The finished product looked A LOT like many of my inspiration photos. Did the same thing with repainting my master bathroom cabinets. I had saved TONS of photos with a greyish-blue toned look and that's what I did last month. Your collection of photos will help you isolate things that matter to you. When you have dozens of the same thing, it's a hint.

• irrelephantk

Kim--Thank you for the pictures! I like the stain you chose for your cabinets and the light counters work really well with the cabinets.

I have a couple of different kitchen idea books full of pics. This is the one kitchen I keep going back to over and over. I love the stain of the island and lowers (which I think is similar to the one I have chosen). I also love the backsplash. The whole kitchen looks open and warm. I really like the gold color of the pedant lights, but I don't think I like the gold hardware on the cabinets. But I don't know what other kind of hardware would mesh with the gold lights.

Legacy 27-6 · More Info

• stillpitpat

It's ok to mix metals, as long as it looks intentional. With SS appliances like the pic, you could always do SS or brushed nickel hardware. Or maybe black.

• megs1030

Beautiful inspo pic! See? You DO know what you like! ;) In any case, @stillpitpat is correct, it's perfectly fine to mix metals. It's also perfectly fine if all your brass hardware is a little different than the brass on your lighting. No one will know but you, I promise.

• Kim Wilson

I like the picture you keep going back too! I noticed you said love! The island color will warm up the space also with your white cabinets! It will be lovely

• Lizzie Borden

Following

• Loverne Duncan

I’m going through the same process. Have had an all whit kitchen for years. Want a change. Like your grey upper option. Good compromise. Light countertop but maybe not white

Home Interiors with Ease

Mix it up....white upper cabinets with lower cabinets in a light wood..Or deep blue add color to have fun with the 2020 color trend that will be strong...or dark rich walls and light natural cabinets..

Home Interiors with Ease

The sample you have looks like a maple..try to find a lighter wood tone..or buy unfinished cabinets and pick your own stain...you can really customize your look!

• felizlady

The counter materials you show have strong pink undertones. The wood cabinet stain is a medium color...it would be beautiful as uppers and lowers with white-white counters and backsplashes. You could do the island in white, wood, or an accent color. Gray may be “in” right now, but wood colors will always be popular.

Home Interiors with Ease

If you don’t like the gold hardware..you could add black...with gold/brass lighting..but the Brass hardware is a big part of the overall look..so be careful.

• irrelephantk

Home Interiors with Ease—thank you for your input! We have to go with the cabinet maker of our builder. The lighter color stains have either a pinkish or reddish tone to them so the medium sample is the one I like the most.

• Annie Blouin

I use the same type of wood as an accent with a medium grey. I love how it turned out. as you see I did darker counter, there was a bit of black in the floor tile, just enough to pull it together

Home Interiors with Ease

Just keep in mind your sample will not give the same rustic look as in your inspiration image..it will have a solid look and more formal style...will it just be on the under wall of the island?

Home Interiors with Ease

Wondering what wood samples would have a pink tone...darker cherry would have red...can you post the other samples?

• srea123

I vote for white uppers and lowers with wood stain island

CK Hoffman Design

I'm working on a two toned kitchen - White painted uppers and Dark Gray painted lowers - a nice mix - countertop Pental Misterio - Tile Backsplash will be Z Collection - white cararra mable brick - appliances are GE Slate - a matte gray, nice change from stainless steel - a few more things to consider....Happy Decorating...

Home Interiors with Ease

I think I would do all white cabinets and White Island...brass hardware and brass lighting..white quarts counters...add fabulous rustic modern stools at the island. I don’t think you are going to like that wood..you have more control of the overall look with all white.

Home Interiors with Ease

I have a white kitchen with gray island...5 years old and still love it! Maybe do island in gray...can you tell I am trying to change your mind on the wood island!:)))) LOL

Here it is......wish I had white quartz..but maybe in my next home!

Saddlebrook · More Info

• irrelephantk

Home interiors with ease, you are giving me something to think about. I think I definitely don’t want a White Island just because of the wear and tear. Gray looks nice but I’m more of a brown girl when it comes to accents. I don’t have the other samples. I could go back and get them but she’d probably think I was crazy because I’ve been there twice already. I probably will anyway because you have me wanting to relook at those other samples. Making these decisions is so hard!

Home Interiors with Ease

Worth checking the samples again..this is a big decision!

• RedRyder

I love what HIWE came up with. Add a color to the island and you’ve got a gorgeous kitchen.

• lmuhrich

I personally am not a fan of the two tone uppers and lowers ...it took me a long time. Love my hickory cabinets and Pental Akoya quartz. No pink at all! Still a little yellow with my lights however. To me it feels more homey than the gray and white and a wood thrown in for contrast. My inspo pictures were very warm however!

kitchen needs help · More Info

Home Interiors with Ease

Imuhrich..white uppers would have looked beautiful..but you have to love it not us! I would paint out your window trim over sink white...you will be amazed the difference it would make in your overall look in your space.

• tedbixby

These stained cabinets & island look similar to the color of the stain sample you are considering.

Transitional Interiors Greenwich, CT · More Info

• irrelephantk

I really love all the comments and feedback I'm getting.

Imuhrich--You have a beautiful kitchen. The white backsplash and counters really brighten it up.

Going back to the brown and gray....here are two pics of the same combination that I recently saw on a couple of houses my builder has done. There is a part of me that likes this. It's amazing what a difference lighting makes. In the first pic, the uppers look green-ish.

• tedbixby

IMO- those finishes don't compliment each other. The stain looks "rustic" and the paint looks more "finished" and I think it may have to do with the color of the paint. As I've seen cabinets painted white with the rustic and it doesn't look so disjointed. Unless you love this look, it will be "risky" as you've got two elements that will date this kitchen quicker than going with your other thoughts. The two elements are using gray on the cabinets and then the other is having a two tone kitchen. If you love the gray and the combination then it won't matter if it is "risky" and when it dates itself.

• salonva

IF that's what you keep going back to, then it seems it's what you want and should go for it.

I decided to go with white perimeter cabinets (top and bottom ) and a small dark wood island. I couldn't decide between white or wood and decided this would be the best for me in my house.

(Cabinets have been ordered, but I have not decided on counters or backsplash or anything else!!)

• lmuhrich

The inspirational pic you posted I actually prefer the rustic looking lowers try to find a contrast of something maybe a little bit more rustic on top. But again it’s your decision!! It could probably look stunning in ur home

• Lizzie Borden

Following