FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

laura_04

New Kitchen Design Help

laura_04

I’ve been wanting to redo this kitchen for 15 years and we’re about ready to take the plunge!
Hoping you all can help me transform this into a functional, welcoming and pleasing room.
I think I’d like to take cabs to the ceiling and add molding (yes? no?)
Maybe add a pantry cabinet on the wall with the archway.
Microwave above stove (?)
This is our only dining space and the benches are valuable storage space so plan to keep that corner the same.
I think I’ve decided on cream walls, soapstone counters, stainless appliances, ripping out laminate floors and refinishing hardwoods underneath. Undecided on cabinet color or stain - what do you all think?

I’d SO appreciate your opinions and ideas!!

• laura_04

MamaGoose, we speak the same language! Love love the giant antique cabinet in the kitchen. Amazing! And all the charming vintage details. What a dream kitchen!

• laura_04

Moving the closet door to the bedroom is something we’ve talked about for a while. I’d miss where it is but it’s needed in the bedroom too. I need to make a huge list of pros and cons with all* these ideas!

Need help designing your new kitchen? Building 9 can help!

Just offering a possible solution to those who may have a dilemma involving kitchen design.

New Kitchen Design Help

My suggestion when designing a kitchen.. After I got my original design for my kitchen guy, I imagined coming home from the grocery store, putting food away and cooking dinner and cleaning up. I stared at the floor plan as I figured out where I would dump the groceries as I came in from the car. I looked to see how many steps it was from prep to stove, to garbage can etc. I ended up switching my integrated trash can and dishwasher. My designer did a nice job, but I tweaked it for ME. I also made a copy of the design and figured out where EVERYTHING in my kitchen was going. That way I knew everything was accounted for and in a good place for me. Keep us updated.

Modern or transitional? Kitchen Design Help for New Build

acm, I agree. Everyone is so worried about "dated" and so many are saying a trend that's just coming in, is already going out. I say who cares? Unless you're renovating a house to sell, it doesn't matter what style you choose as long as you like it. Look at the amazing variety of styles featured on houzz, a reflection of the many different tastes of houzzers. Find your style and go with it, don't worry about predictions of what will or won't be in style in 10 years..... BTW, we did two toned in our kitchen and I love it. It perfectly suits the 1948 FLW style house that we renovated.

Help me design my NEW Kitchen/Dining/Living space

Klfische: Exactly what I want, I want help with designing my space. I know what I want in the space, but I don't know 1. If its possible to fit my requirements or ideas into the space. 2. If we can fit the requirements in, can we make the room flow.
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH

Thank you! Our house was built in the late 1920's, but a PO had removed all the original trim, so it retained none of your wonderful woodwork, windows, and charm. (Can't say I mind having double-paned casements, though.)

I love the view of your table, but if you decide to move it to the middle room, you could use a side-loading cabinet to partially disguise the fridge, rather than using the pantry cab I had against the stair wall. You could use artwork on that wall, as you now have. If the light switch needs to stay, you might check on mounting it on the side of the pantry (if that meets safety code).

Since you need the storage, you might also consider stud-bay storage in that wall and the wall to the left (piano wall). If you check my kitchen picks, you'll see my shallow pantry under the stairs, where I keep canned goods. It's a little deeper than a standard wall, since we built the wall out to support a new laminated beam.

Note that I drew the base cabinets on the fridge wall deeper, to match the depth of a standard fridge (36" wide, but you could use 30-32"). That gives you a nice, deep work space to make sandwiches or place groceries to be loaded to the fridge. Even if custom deep drawers are not in the budget, standard cabinets can be pulled out to the depth of the fridge box. I would recommend drawers for all bases except the trash pull-out.

The uppers are drawn at 15" deep. The trash pull-out is only 12", to give you as much storage as possible--my trash pull-out is the same size, and it works well for our household of five. We recycle and compost, so ymmv, and anything with the potential to be nasty and/or odoriferous goes directly to the lidded can outside.

Houzz article--stud bay storage

• laura_04

That would be a great place for a side load cabinet. I’ll check out the stud-bay pics. I thank you again!!

• felizlady

I suggest that you NOT consider a microwave over the range. The “vent” in most over-range microwaves is not, in fact, a real vent. It is a filter system which sucks smoke and odors through a filter and then blows it back into the kitchen. A real vent pulls the smoke and odors into an opening and exhausts that dirty air outside through the wall or roof. If you don’t fry anything, you may be able to get by with an over-range filtering vent, but if you fry things often or use pungent spices, a real external exhaust vent is much better. The filter in an over-range microwave also needs to be cleaned regularly.

• Newideas

Following

• pamela_ruhl

Hi Laura. I love your home. You've got great potential in your kitchen. IMO, unless you want to engage an architect and structural engineer, I'd avoid moving any walls, doors, etc and work with what you have. Also, given the age of the home, you probably have old wiring and lathe/paster walls, which will be difficult enough to work with. I think your biggest design dilemma is whether you want an eat-in kitchen or not. The banquette takes up a lot of space. If you remove it, you can have a wonderful, huge kitchen. My opinion is actually KEEP the banquette. Moving it out means you have no seating and the vibe of the kitchen changes. The cook becomes isolated as your family and quests are elsewhere. So, embrace it. Kitchen tables rather than islands have made a huge comeback lately. By keeping the banquette, you are limited to a one wall kitchen. It can work. I've played with a few layouts and this is the one that I think is most functional. I was also able to add a baking station under the window near the pantry, taking advantage of the low window there. Most of the cabinets are standard size. The only really expensive ones would be in the corner by the refrigerator as those are corner cabinets with bi-fold doors so you can use the entire corner space as storage areas. Also, your refrigerator would be standard/small in size. No sub-zero. Sorry. ENJOY your remodel and thank you for letting us be a little part of it

• Newideas

I like the banquette in the kitchen, even though it reduces kitchen size. An option if you keep the banquette would be to still move the closet door to the bedroom, put your piano in that wall, then build cabinets around and beneath the window on the exterior window. Would provide lots of extra storage, and a reading nook, and a place to sit and listen to the piano.

• laura_04

Pamela -waaattt??! I love you! Lol The last few days as I’m working in there, I’m constantly reminded how much I’ll miss family joining me. That little wall would completely separate us... And I agree, either we tear up the house, without gaining all the changes at a sensible cost- or we continue to preserve its original form. We’ve chosen to keep it as is, but just prettier :)
    I’m so excited to study what you’ve created for me! Thank you!!!

• laura_04

Pamela, I really appreciate you taking the time to do that!!
    And new ideas- brilliant! I have a hutch there now with no other place for its contents if it were taken out. This would be useful, beautiful, and similar to built ins common for the 20s craftsman style homes.

• laura_04

There’s so much I love about this. I love the idea of a baking center and would’ve never imagined one could fit in our kitchen! I like your choices for the appliances and their colors (the counter appliance choices too!) The darker and lower uppers add to the coziness even more. Amazing. My husband is sold :)

• laura_04

I’m wondering if it would be better to scootch the sink to the left and swap the dishwasher and stove as mama goose had suggested earlier. Or would be best as you have them situated now?

• Gcubed

I think that DW/stove swap would be a better flow: fridge -> sink -> prep -> stove/oven. I wasn't sure if your window arrangement would be accommodating for that though.

• laura_04

Yes. It looks like the baking center would only work with the stove by the fridge.

• laura_04

I just moved the fridge to that spot. I like how it opens the back of the kitchen and there’s plenty of space between the fridge and the table, but it overlaps the stove. Getting a counter depth & recessing it would help but it would still be very tight working at the stove with the fridge right there. :/

• pamela_ruhl

Actually, if we lose a bit of below counter storage and add a filler/spacing strip between the stove and the baking station to allow the stove door to open, it should work. I think I like this arrangement better. Again, these should be standard, stock cabinets except for the corner cabinet by the refrigerator, but you'd need to measure carefully.

• laura_04

Pamela, we have a winner. I love it. I wish I could somehow repay you (all*) for helping us!

• Gcubed

I like that last layout too- if it will actually work in real life with real measurements of course :)! The work flow will be MUCH better.

• laura_04

There’s 58” from single window wall to window trim (above sink) I think the in-laid cook top in Pamelas design will save some space & help the stove align with the upper cabinets. Are only induction tops sold that way? I’m trying to find a similar counter-cooktop/ range to check widths but don’t know what it’s called? I’d prefer electric (I think ?)

• laura_04

Or would that be a separate cooktop and oven?

• laura_04

Never mind, figured it out. Looks like 30” width for slide in and cook top both.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH

You don't have a range hood now, and there's an OTR MW in pamela_ruhl's drawing. I'd suggest leaving the MW in the corner by the new fridge location, and get a real range hood. Broan has an insert that pulls 390cfm, which works fine over my electric smooth-top, and doesn't need make-up air. Also, in that plan, make sure you can still access your pantry above the stairs, over the baking counter--if you plan to make the baking counter standard depth. FWIW, I'd prefer the extra inches between the sink and range, which is prime prep space, and if you want cabinets below the window, use uppers with a shallow counter, for extra storage.

BTW, I'd make sure the fridge door hinges on the left.

• laura_04

THANK YOU :) All things I’ve been thinking on! We haven’t had any vent system so I’m happy with either option. You’re suggesting to use upper cabs as lowers on the back wall? (Just clarifying.) I haven’t thought about not being able to reach into the pantry. It is* pretty deep. And I also wondered about the door hinge. Thanks. What do you think about the counter height difference in the back corner? Standard height will cover the window sill. Angle it like you’d drawn earlier? Lower height all the way to the wall..?

• pamela_ruhl

I was thinking of a hood / microwave combo unit; https://www.toptenreviews.com/best-over-the-range-microwaves

• laura_04

Me too

• laura_04

Mama goose, of all the designs you’ve posted here- which do You* like the best? Curious

• pamela_ruhl

Also, personal preference on how the refrigerator door opens, but flow might be better with a right hand open so you don’t get trapped between door and counter.

• laura_04

I’m good with it either way. I’ll let my husband pick so he feels included in the process. Ha

• pamela_ruhl

Rather than a cooktop, you could also do this 30” combo (range, oven, microwave, and vent) from Home Depot for about $950. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-2-1-cu-ft-Over-the-Range-Microwave-in-Fingerprint-Resistant-Stainless-Steel-with-Steam-Cooking-WMH53521HZ/302283994

• laura_04

Right on

• RedRyder

pamela's layout is terrific! I don't love an over-the-range microwave, but if you need to save space, it works! The suggestion above looks pretty sleek!

• laura_04

Thoughts on a side by side fridge?

• pamela_ruhl

Standard US refrigerators are 30-36" W x 67-70" H x 29-35" D. You'd have to measure carefully. The refrigerator in the previous pictures was on the small side; 30"x67". This left about 6" to play with for ventilation and for your light switch (which is behind the frig and would need to be moved.) You need 1/4" - 1/2" all around for ventilation, but with an open side at the arch, you're good to go right up to the opposite counter/cabinet. The frig in the attached picture is a 32"x67". It's tight but could be done. You still need to figure out the location of the light switch... you might consider popping to the opposite side of the wall in the piano room.

• laura_04

Thanks. We don’t use that switch so it’s not a prob. I was just trying to figure out what style fridge would be most convenient for it’s location... We can put a second fridge in our basement if we need to.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH

Yes, you can use an upper cabinet as a lower one, if you need a shallow cabinet. I think a few inches lower, to fit under the window apron is fine. As for the fridge door hinge--if you use a single door, put the hinge on the left. It's not preference--it's practicality. If the door opens right-to-left, you've got the counter right there, on the right, to use as landing space.

You, taking something from the fridge:

If you are keeping the table in the kitchen (and if you love it, that's fine), and you don't mind seeing the side of the fridge from the entry, then my preference is fridge on corner (easy to open door to access crisper) then DW, sink, 36" prep space, then range with vented hood. I moved my range across the room in my kitchen remodel, just so I could vent it to the exterior--absolutely love it!

But, you know how you work in the kitchen, and what you need, so after considering the functional flow, decide which layout is best for you and your family. (But hinge the fridge door on the left. ;)

• laura_04

I truly appreciate your input. As i was cooking tonight, I saw how awesome it will be to have the stove to my right. That’s where I prep now and I’ll have so much more space to sit things. And a DISHWASHER- although I’m going to need the 18”er. Found a new home for the brooms & dog dishes. This is going to be amazing!

• Newideas

Going back to your original post, these mock ups are based on standard cabinet sizes, but if you use your Amish cabinet maker as noted in your original post, you can adjust dimensions to be exactly what fits your space and needs. The quality is likely to be high, and he can take into account the quirks or your (I assume) slightly uneven and out of plumb floors and walls. Probably very competitive price as compared to cabinetry from one of the box stores, and a more professional install.
    I would also look at sinks that come with a cutting board for the top so you can extend your prep space across the sink when needed.
    Excited for you!

• laura_04

Yay! :) The guys who will be redoing the kitchen work with him solely and said he does great work.
    I have another question (surprise)- I really like my trash pull out. Would you all suggest a pullout right of the sink and drawers between trash and range? Or free standing trash. I’ve also never had a garbage disposal if that makes a difference on this choice... My current is one can behind the other in an 18” cab. We don’t use the back can ever. So I’m thinking I could do 12” pull out with one can.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH

You can put a trash pull-out under the sink: Trash pullout ...

However, if you use an 18" DW, as you mentioned, you should have 12" between it and a corner susan, which is enough space for a trash pull-out. That's the size we use for our household of 5, and it works well. We compost and recycle, and take anything potentially smelly directly to the covered outside can, so it's emptied only a couple of times each week. That is also the same location as in my kitchen--sink, DW, trash, and although I think it would work better under your prep zone, you also need a wide drawer stack for storage.

Since you have very little space in the corner to unload dishes to the uppers, I'd suggest 36" dish drawers to the right of the sink. You can use dividers in the top drawer for utensils and flatware--as cabinets will be custom, that shouldn't be a problem. The cabinets below the window to the right will be deep enough to store pots, mixing bowls, and skillets, and maybe your cabinet maker can fashion a hinged door to give you easy access to the corner.

I've been drawing the range with a 36" wide hood, but if you use an upper cabinet insert for the vent, the cabinet can come to the edge of the window trim, as can the upper to the left of the widow. You have a nice, wide window, so use every inch available for upper storage--just make sure the reveal is the same on both sides of the window.

Dishes in drawers ...

EZ reach upper ...

• laura_04

Thank you. I also think those will be the best spots for glasses, dishes, pots& pans. I looked up the vent hood you suggested. That would add to the symmetry around the windows as well :) Had to find out what an easy reach was last night- this is all new territory ;) Do you like the bifold doors? I found that some prefer two doors because the hinged hit the other cabinets (?). Good call on saving the cab right of the sink for drawers only.
    This is going to be great!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH

My aunt's kitchen had the corner base cabinet doors that were fixed, not hinged (home built cabinets, pink pickled oak :). I don't recall a problem with the doors, but maybe with kids slamming them open it would be different.

• Lisa Dipiro

If you do a French door refrigerator it wont interfere much with the dishwasher area since the doors each are smaller

• Lisa T

Laura, I'm no professional but I married a putterer and he's worked on our house. Looking at the floor plan of your house, there are several small wall and door changes I'd make to your house that I think would improve function and wouldn't cost a fortune.

I'd move the door in the second bedroom so it opens into the small hall and next to your family bath. I'd close off the original doorway to that room and I'd close off the opening that led to that room and also what I assume is your master bedroom. I'd then make that area my master bedroom closet. Then I'd put a doorway where your tv currently is or closer to the front of your house. That gives you more wall space in your living room.

Then I'd seriously consider opening up the wall into the 8' space I'd have a banquet style seating and table with piano across from it as was suggested by someone else.

• laura_04

I appreciate that Lisa! (I think in the 60’s) they took half our original front porch and added two bedrooms on the front of the house. I also think there were originally 3 small bedrooms on the right. They took down that wall in green and
    when we had our second child, we put a wall back up and added a second door cuz I was paranoid having to walk through the other rooms to get to him in the night.

• laura_04

Sorry. I added the wrong photo above

• laura_04

I see what you’re saying though! And that would be a great suggestion if there weren’t another bedroom to access.

• Lisa T

Oh dear. The plan I saw, I couldn't see the other room. Gotcha. Aren't remodels swell?

• laura_04

I’ve spent too much time attempting to find solutions for this house. We were going to add on and rearrange but working with what we have is rewarding. That back tiny bedroom is the only one on the list we’ve completed so far and it’s now my fav room. Redoing the smaller bath this month and looking forward to a new kitchen hopefully before spring!

• pamela_ruhl

Wonderful! Wishing you the best. Please, please post pictures during and after your remodel.