marigold33_gw

Please help! Clair Matin or Cornelia

Marigold33 NY-Z7

I'm trying to decide which rose to purchase, anyone with experience with Clair Matin or Cornelia please weigh in, thank you.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

I have both. Am partial to Clair Matin, a climber, because it is a constant bloomer and has a faint but sweet smell. Both blooms are similar and I really like Cornelia but if I had to choose, my vote would go to Clair Matin.

Marigold33 NY-Z7 thanked alameda/zone 8/East Texas
  • Marigold33 NY-Z7

Thanks very much alameda!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Just noticed that Heirloom has Clair Matin on sale for $30. Forgot to mention - this rose is one of the first to bloom in spring.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Oh dear is that another rose I need?

Cornelia drove me crazy with her brown blooms blended with new blooms . Absolutely crazy .

Otherwise , smells good , pretty healthy. I just could not love it :(

Marigold33 NY-Z7 thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Yes, you do need it. I've adored this rose, but fear it's too BSy here, something which you no longer need worry about! I think it can get very large, however. So far I haven't had the brown bloom issue on Cornelia, but I just planted her on the front fence mid-summer. If only I could get the passing neighbors to dead-head.

Marigold33 NY-Z7 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Just have to go to bat for Cornelia...she drops clean here in our humidity, and smells so divine. I love her delicate shell pink clusters. :-)

• Ann9BNCalif

I have Clair Matin and here's a pic from last year.

This rose grows well in partial shade and is moderately fragrant. In her original spot in the front yard she had six foot arching canes which made her too big for the spot she was in. I moved her to the back yard and nearly killed her in the process. She's been recovering this past year and is getting ready to grow back to her previous size.

Here's a photo from her front yard days.

I don't have any experience with Cornelia so I can't offer a comparison.

Jen - don't get this rose - it's too big for your yard! :))

Ann

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

This is why you need advice from those nearby rather than jealous Northerners! :-)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Haha Ann !! Thanks . I am a total glutton for punishment so I have awakening and compassion in my heirloom cart right now ! Lol I am going to do large barrels for climbers . I don’t think we will live at this house more than 3 years so I’m rolling with that . Claire is beautiful!!

Perma I’m so glad Cornelia is good for you. Everyone always raves about it ! I could never shovel prune mine even though I desperately wanted too , I kept thinking it was going to wow me like it did other people. It’s so pretty in pics!

vapor I think it’s so great getting input from everyone!! Marigold , did we help at all ?!?! Lol

• Ann9BNCalif

Jen - so you're going to keep your roses portable for the move to your next yard! Awesome! Get all the barrels you can fit in the yard, then start shopping!

Ann

• Marigold33 NY-Z7

I already pre-ordered Lyda Rose from Heirloom (they're running low on her), I already have Lyda but I love her and I had to get another one! Now it's across between Matin and Cornelia which would be placed in a semi shaded spot. Thanks for the insight everyone, it's appreciated!

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Marigold I don’t have any advice just wanted to chime in and say I’m in the same boat as you but I’ve already decided. Next shopping round I will be getting Cornelia to go in a semi shady spot. She will live with hosta and peonies! And some black heuchera.

Marigold33 NY-Z7 thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Marigold33 NY-Z7

Oursteelers I'm leaning towards Clair Matin. I don't know if you have Lyda Rose. If you don't you may want to consider it. One of the roses I purchased at Heirloom didn't make it, so instead of getting the same rose again I got Lyda rose and I was so impressed and surprised at how grand she turned out that I pre-ordered another one. "Lyda Rose. Thrives in considerable shade, a very healthy. floriferous and highly fragrant rose. The sprays of bloom are large and lovely, but the individual flowers are exquisite in their own right as well."

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

OMG Clair Matin is beautiful! I can just imagine 6ft arched canes of frilly pink little blooms! Upon googling Clair Matin some sites say 15ft! Now I must get one!

Does Lyda really only stay 5ft in a warm climate? Fell in love with Lyda Rose from the Rosomanes blogspot lol.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

So I really want something in the cream/blush/peach range and fragrant. Which is why I landed on CornlElia. I feel Lyda is more closely related to the cooler camps?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

There is also Felicia!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Lisa’s Felicia is absolutely stunning!! Look it up tina :)

ok now how much shade can Lyda take I wonder .. part of my garden really gets a lot and I don’t know what to plant there! This new zone has me befuddled sometimes. Because full sun is very intense and shade still can get some sun ...

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

I love Lyda Rose! I have two and the happier one grew 3-4 feet it’s first year. The less happy one (slightly less sun and poor soil, just 18 inches like a miniature rose but also lots of blooms. I have Cornelia, but no flowers last year. Maybe I will see some in the second year this spring. Here is the happier Lyda Rose.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I have Felicia coming in the spring but isn’t she more in the warm colors?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

More warm compared to Lida but I consider Cornelia warm also.

Felicia

Cornelia

Cornelia with Viking Queen

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Stephanie, is Lyda Rose a good once bloomer, sporadic repeat, or does she bloom alot in flushes? Seems I read someplace she was more of a once bloomer..........lovely rose! I have hesitated to order as I would like more of an all season bloomer. Beautiful photos!

• Marigold33 NY-Z7

Here's my Lyda Rose

• Marigold33 NY-Z7

Another view of Lyda, she got larger than expected considering

our NY climate.

• Ann9BNCalif

My Lyda Rose is at least six years old and she's almost a continuous bloomer in my 9b climate. This photo is from her first flush last spring.

When Lyda was first planted she was in the shade. I removed the large shrubbery that was shading her and she grew quickly. She was just pruned a few days ago and I think her width was over six feet, with a height of about 4.5. She's creating some unwanted shade to roses near her so I'm going to keep her smaller this year. Lyda is a bee magnet!

Ann

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Ann , did Lyda bloom in shade for you even if small ? I have a shade area I am at a loss for . These are beautiful photos!!

• Ann9BNCalif

Lyda Rose has always been a good bloomer. Here's a pic from when it was in the shade. This was spring 2017 when it was starting year three I think.

Ann

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca

Oh how lovely ! I have room for her then. I’ll try her and some hydrangeas:)

• Marigold33 NY-Z7

Lyda is also almost a continual bloomer here too and I'm in NY :)

• austinkisses2008z8a

To those who grow Lyda Rose in warm climates and some shade--- would you say she blooms more than Ballerina? I need to add to a shade prone bed. Already have a climbing pinkie, which I learned on this site is primarily a once yr. bloomer. I will probably remove Pinkie after its spring flush, no time or energy for limited bloom roses. Thxs All, BR

• Ann9BNCalif

I don’t have any experience with Ballerina so I can’t comment on the comparison with LR.

Ann

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Lyda is a beautiful rose, have always admired her! Going to find a place for this rose now you all have said she blooms more than once. Lupe's Buttons is a similar rose I have that blooms like Lyda. Anyone have it?

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal

My one year old Lyda Rose gave at least 3 flushes last year....possibly 4.