Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alladd

Modern fireplace design for new build. Need help!

alladd
4 years ago

We are in the middle of a custom build, and while I have hundreds of modern fireplace photos saved here and elsewhere, I still cannot get a good idea on what to do with the area that will include the fireplace. As you can see from the top pic, there are two fairly large recessed areas. A cabinet maker drew this to give me a quote on some built-ins in these alcoves (hence all the broken-up spaces/measurements in the drawing). I'm not really sure I want to do built ins. I really like the look of the photo with the white cast stone but also unsure if this would be too much for the room. My husband would like to use stacked stone etc. I'm not opposed to that per se, I just don't know if that "sea of stone" will look good. Any ideas and suggestions are very appreciated.

Comments (52)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

What style is the house?

• alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Somewhat of a Napa Valley type modern farmhouse.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Maybe an image of the house's front elevation may pinpoint that a little more accurately. I assume you would want some continuity running through the design of the whole house. "Napa Valley" tells me there are grapes being grown on the property, and this is the modern farmhouse I use to own:

alladd thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That's beautiful. I'd love to see more photos. Mine will be white, 2 story, black windows. No grapes, but located on a 50 acre farm with crops, a large pond, and wooded area to one side.

• Kirsten E.
    4 years ago

What will the overall space be used for? Do you have a picture of the floorplan for the area? Might help to inform suggestions!

alladd thanked Kirsten E.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    4 years ago

alladd thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • lisaam
    4 years ago

The white cast stone image that you like is good looking but not very adaptable. It doesn't seem like any art could be used on that wall. That will be the star wall in the room always. We see frequent pics of quirky fireplaces that someone at sometime loved that folks are now trying to straighten out. I'd choose a more flat, more traditionally-modern look.

alladd thanked lisaam
  • The_Lane_Duo
    4 years ago

I agree 100% with @lisaam. @BeverlyFLADeziner provided some great examples.

alladd thanked The_Lane_Duo
  • worthy
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

A Napa Valley farmhouse is just about anything you want!

Here's the main fp in a recently sold Napa Valley farmhouse:

The rough wood of the fp wall is a theme that continues throughout the house in ceilings, false beams and trusses.

alladd thanked worthy
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    4 years ago

Key words: "theme that continues throughout the house"

alladd thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Kirsten E. here is a photo of the floorplan that you suggested that I post. The kitchen and dining room area are to the right of this room. This great room will be our most used area of the house, plus it opens onto an outdoor living area that will be important to us and often used.

Thanks everyone, for your suggestions. I am rethinking the fireplace area now, based upon some of the pics and things you all said. Here is one such photo that was posted to another person's dilemma on another thread. I'm not personally wanting to do this type stone or mantel; however, the seating alcoves here might work for me as well. Any thoughts or further suggestions? Thanks.

Woodinville Retreat · More Info

• badabing2
    4 years ago

TV, audio gear, speaker placement?

alladd thanked badabing2
  • alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Since I have a husband, we will be placing the TV above the fp.

• alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Perhaps seating such as this for my alcoves? I already have Hawaiian koa wood to use for this if I go this route. Thoughts on this pic?

Retro Family Room · More Info

• badabing2
    4 years ago

Another thread by yours titled "Size of TV to mount over fireplace" would be worth a read. You'll likely need a mantel to mitigate the heat to TV.

alladd thanked badabing2
  • alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sadly you're correct lol. Maybe someone will respond on this thread about it. The TV has got to happen--no way around it.

• PRO
    Novel Remodeling
    4 years ago

Here are our favorite fireplace designs. Chimney Repair and Fireplace design

alladd thanked Novel Remodeling
  • Kristin S
    4 years ago

Could you sell your husband on putting the tv in built-ins besides the fireplace? You could point out it allows for a better viewing angle and a larger tv.

alladd thanked Kristin S
  • alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Kristin S No, that's a non negotiable and it's fine--although not my personal desire. I'm more concerned now about what to do as far as materials and with these large alcoves on either side of the fireplace...because even though I have lots of saved photos, nothing has jumped out at me. I had a cabinet maker do a mock up for some built-ins, but those weren't what I wanted and I certainly don't want to spend the amount of money they will cost for something I don't "love".

I think I have decision fatigue!

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

I empathize. Figuring out what to do with our fireplace was probably the hardest single decision in our build. Here are a few more ideas for you, in case they help.

Inverness · More Info

Martis Camp Contemporary · More Info

Ojai Hillside · More Info

Farmhouse · More Info

Santa Rosa Residence · More Info

Glen Oaks Transitional Remodel · More Info

Living Room · More Info

Modern Ski Chalet · More Info

Wellshire Contemporary · More Info

alladd thanked Kristin S
  • alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Kristin S what specifically did you do with your fp? Did you incorporate a tv into that room?

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

While our dilemma was the same, our situation was a bit different. We don't like having a t.v. in our great room, so that wasn't a factor, and we have windows to the floor on both sides of our fireplace, so no dilemma of what to do with the niches. We were also trying to have something that split the difference between modern and traditional - sort of a streamlined modern. This is my favorite of our inspiration photos:

And this is the stone we're using to get the look:

https://www.arizonatile.com/en/products/limestone/crema-vosscione-lyon

The tile should be going up on the fireplace this week, so I'm happy to share a picture once there's something to see.

alladd thanked Kristin S
  • Kristin S
    4 years ago

Here are a couple of inspiration photos from Pinterest that have interesting niches that might help inspire you.

• Kirsten E.
    4 years ago

Which do you think will be a bigger need for you - storage or additional seating? I think that would dictate my direction. For example, if I had a lovely book collection to display, I’d probably opt for a built in book case. You could also split the difference and do shelves or a built-in on one side and seating on the other. At almost 7 feet on each side you have lots of space. For the space on each side of our fireplace, we opted for additional seating. We’re still under construction so no photos of the benches yet, but here’s some of my inspo :)

• alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Kirsten E.Seating is more a priority. I don't really like a lot of things displayed, and I am minimizing accessories. I like the idea of seating on one side and storage of some type on the other side. Or, seating on both sides. Thanks for the photos!

• alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Kristin S Your Crema Vosscione limestone is beautiful! I hope you will post pics of your fireplace when finished! Thanks for all your help.

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

I will. They’re working on it today. Here’s the limestone laid out on the floor, and here’s the fireplace it’s going on.

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

You might check out this blog posts (and the ones before it showing the design process) for ideas of a modern fireplace with niches that have benches (and were planned for storage, too, though it got scrapped).

https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/mountain-house-mondays-where-we-are-with-the-family-room

• ulisdone
    4 years ago

Why bother with any nice finishes on fireplace wall if you are just going to bore holes in it and hang a big ugly black screen on it?

alladd thanked ulisdone
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    4 years ago

This is our fireplace wall etc. We have a tv over it. Things I would do differently is get a larger fireplace so it is same width as tv if not bigger. Use a solid surface material in one piece to create the mantel because we have had issues with this. But overall the aesthetic is exactly what we hoped it would be.

alladd thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Kristin S She has some great ideas on her blog. I've never been on her site until now. Thanks!

• alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Terra S. that's beautiful. What is the fireplace surface?

• alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@A S your fireplace is beautiful. How wide is your firebox now? I'm glad you called my attention to what you'd do differently. I just finished talking with a fp rep about ordering. Thanks.

• Terra S.
    4 years ago

@aladdintn thank you! It is large format tile, 24x48". Daltile marble attache - Turkish skyline

• WestCoast Hopeful
    4 years ago

I can’t find the info on our fireplace. But I looked at the design photo and the fireplace insert should have been same width as tv. Not sure how we messed this up. Argh

• alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You've all been very helpful! I'm actually rethinking my fireplace area since I've received all your feedback. Now, I'm considering doing what you've done, @Terra S.--placing the fireplace to the left where the first alcove is now located; placing the TV in the middle (and larger than I had originally planned, A S, and figuring out what to do with the alcove on the right that would remain as is. The builder just told me that it would take minimal time to make the changes. If you run across any photos of this type set up, please share them. Thanks so much!

• alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Kristin S My husband is open to me not having the TV over the fireplace if the TV stays in the middle section and the fireplace is to the left or right. As you can tell, the TV is very important to him ;) Not important to me lol.

• Terra S.
    4 years ago

A lot of our entertaining is based around guys watching football from the kitchen island, so the bug TV was important here as well. when we do other kinds of entertaining I generally use the TV as a giant piece of art with slide shows of paintings I like

The first picture here was my main inspiration but I just went back and have a couple more that might give you some ideas.

• alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Terra S.Wow...yours turned out almost exactly like your inspiration pic, which I love. My situation is much the same with guys watching all sports here. Having 3 sons and a husband makes the TV the center of our gatherings.

• ulisdone
    4 years ago

Terra S has a great solution; design the room for a properly placed tv, not above the fireplace. I love my football and baseball too!

alladd thanked ulisdone
  • alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ulisdone I agree. I'm working on it ...

• Kristin S
    4 years ago

A couple more inspiration photos for you with the fireplace on the side and the t.v. next to it in the center.

Beach Bush House Living Room · More Info

Encino Contemporary · More Info

alladd thanked Kristin S
  • alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Kristin S I really like the first photo of Beach Bush House. thank you!

• pudgybaby
    4 years ago

@Terra S - I love how your fireplace and TV wall turned out. We are looking at replacing our off-center fireplace with a linear one. If you could answer some questions, I would really appreciate it. I see that you ID'd your tile, What about your hearth - what is that made of? Also, if you have details on what fireplace you used, I'd love to know that as well. Thanks in advance!

• alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@ulisdone @Terra S. and others who've replied here--is there a certain height that the linear firebox should be placed above the floor or above the hearth? Looking for a rule of thumb... Thanks.

• Terra S.
    4 years ago

I don't know of a rule of thumb, but i wanted our bench to be a comfortable seating height for overflow at xmas, etc so I set it at 18"

• badabing2
    4 years ago

Height of fireplace would depend on model. For example, from the install guide for one I'm looking at (click) the minimum looks so. The spec shows 1" above the floor (page 6).

alladd thanked badabing2
  • alladd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@badabing2 thank you. Ours hasn't been delivered yet but should be anytime now. The builder asked me about the height. Glad to know there will be instructions included!

• Kirsten E.
    4 years ago

You can usually pull the specs online if they need an answer sooner.