Software
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

"Florence Bowers Pink Tea"

6 years ago

Still immature, growing slowly in far, far too much shade (We have some tree-trimming coming up, which should help her along).



Comments (18)

  • 6 years ago

    What a beauty, Jeri! I have one thanks to you and I can't wait until Spring here.

  • 6 years ago

    I love the juxtaposition between the buds opening Buds and full open flower. Those es buds just don't look like they'd contain so many petals.

  • 6 years ago

    I love how lacy the inner petals are! Gorgeous!

  • 6 years ago

    If you haven't already, please add those marvelous photos to Help Me Find!

  • 6 years ago

    Something for my little one to aspire to! Love it!! :-)

  • 6 years ago

    I see this is back to no Edit function.
    <SIGH>
    With this site ... It's always something.

  • 6 years ago

    This rose is so pretty! It has really captured my heart. Out of the 250 varieties I have in my garden, Florence is my favourite rose so far (my garden is new).


    The flowers bloom very early, and they are so beautiful and last on the bush for a long time. They smell wonderful, like sweet raspberries. The foliage is as wonderful as the flower: deep green and absolutely free of disease. It still has the same foliage from the time it was first planted as a band in 2017!! The foliage was completely hardy during last winter's 10 days of 20 degree temps!!! Not only did the foliage stay on the plant, it was fresh and green after the snow melted off it!


    The only negatives I have noticed so far are the fact that it's quite thorny (which doesn't bother me in the least) and it only has had one big flush of bloom each season. I'm sure the blooming will get better as it matures. And even if it doesn't, the foliage is so gorgeous it is a beautiful plant all season long. I have it planted over an arch on one side, and it has made it 2/3 of the way over the entire arch (I only planted one as I have heard it gets big).


    I would heartily recommend this rose to anyone who can grow it!

  • 6 years ago

    What a gorgeous beautiful rose! And does it grow in the Okanagan Valley in B.C., Canada? Very extreme weather hot to freezing we are minus 13 and a ton of snow! To very hot in the summer between 33 to 40 celiuse , I can"t remember farhrenheit but 33 is high 90is to 100, as for cold under 0 is starting to make you know winter is here add the winds and your cold!

  • 6 years ago

    mjk -- I'm afraid I don't know. It comes to us from South Carolina, and flourishes in CA.


  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I doubt the teas could survive those lows. There is someone here that posts from B.C. Hopefully, he'll see this post and comment. If I think of his name I'll tag him.

  • 6 years ago

    Paul Barden grew Teas in Oregon for some years until the weather took them out. I doubt he bothers with them these days as they would require a good deal of attention just to keep going.

  • 6 years ago

    AW well I"ll find out, thankyou for getting back to me!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    MJ, talk to Rick. He has a huge Park with hundreds and hundreds of roses. Rick is very knowledgeable . He just wrote like 20 hours ago on this thread. I hope that you will visit his park that we all dream of going.

    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5835962/finding-a-source-for-evelyn

    Jeri, your roses are gorgeous as usual and i wish i cam grow all the Teas here. I absolutely love them all.

  • 6 years ago

    mjkjrobinson....I think you should try to grow Florence. Last winter, we had 2 weeks of temps in the teens and low twenties (Fahrenheit) in the Seattle area. -13 celsius is 9F.....FBPT went thru 2 weeks of 20F in my garden (which included snow and ice) and not a single LEAF was even damaged! Also, this rose is in the most exposed part of my garden, not sheltered in any way.


    If we got down to 9F here, I would expect FBPT to possibly have some cane dieback (maybe), but I would expect it to survive, based on what I've seen here.


    Jeri....why is FBPT considered a tea? Is it the name the rose has always been known by?



  • 6 years ago

    Beautiful blooms and the pastel colors are gorgeous.

  • 6 years ago

    Florence Bowers Pink Tea is one of the most vigorous roses I’ve grown in S Central TX. We’ve had a mild winter and it just began to bloom last week. She is a real standout.

  • 6 years ago

    Jeri, mine is slow to grow also. I've had it I think three years now ever since a generous forum member with a gorgeous and vigorous specimen shared a start with me. Last year it put out one decent cane so I'm thinking it might start to show its stuff this year. Fingers crossed!