Software
Houzz Logo Print
gardenernut

Peggy martin rose

6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

peggy martin a rose that has done better as its matured. It started with just a spring flush, but last season seemed to scatter bloom through summer and then put on a small flush in fall. this winter it has continued to scatter bloom and is current budded out for a good size flush which usually doesnt happen till late March or April. Pics below

Comments (14)

  • 6 years ago

    Congratulations! Do let us see it when it finally flushes. I'd love to see a bush shot. How big is yours and how old? Is it in full sun? I too find it a good rose that puts up with a remarkable variety of circumstance. We are in completely different zones, but it's extremely healthy here and has attempted 2 flushes. This while only being its first year in the ground while receiving sun only through mid-afternoon and dappled shade for the remainder. When I have a pergola, I will certainly move her to enjoy more sun and let her give her best. Such a forgiving rose.

  • 6 years ago

    Wow that’s fantastic!! I wish I had room for her. In Tennessee I had it one full season and it budded up so beautiful in the late fall but lost al the buds when winter came . This rose seems to get better year after year !

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Lilly FinchFinch , that is a sad Tale!

  • 6 years ago

    Mine is about 6ft by 12ft wide and ive had it about 4 years

  • 6 years ago

    I love hearing good things about this rose. I planted a band last winter - yes, winter! that floored me with the amount of growth the following spring. Then, the barn builders stacked their supplies around her so I couldn't get to the spigot or the rose, so she sat there and baked for weeks. They even tossed some of their things on top of her. I figured I'd have to replace her, but she didn't seem to notice the rough treatment. She was about 6'x6' by the end of the season. She had one big flush and then bloomed off and on the rest of the summer. 2020 will be her second year and I'm anxious to see what she can do. She does seem to grow more laterally than tall.

  • 6 years ago

    Flowers, that is great to know that mine is not a weird growth that i was experiencing. Your last sentence is what i was having issues about PM does seem to grow more laterally than tall.

    She is great and very forgiving too as it got mowed over many times as laterals were in the way or weed whacked by my gardener by accident .

  • 6 years ago

    I

    took a few pics today.



    Most of them are just buds



  • 6 years ago

    So pretty, Jin!!! I'm a little jealous since we might get snow!

  • 6 years ago

    mine is a beast!

  • 6 years ago

    Vap, when you get to Spring , yours will explode with many colours that i dont see flushes like that here in Fl. I will be waiting for Spring to see the magic vs tropicals that takes turn here and there :))

    Kaleidoscope, you must have a matured one and i bet it is beautiful and give great displays.


  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    So beautiful, Jin. More blooms than mine. I think she would love to languish across a low fence. I've seen pics of her that way that I love, but I'm trying to train her up a tall arbor attached to a low fence, so I hope she will go both ways. I'm thinking about planting a clematis with her that will go all the way to the top of the arbor in case she doesn't get that tall. She's one tough rose, that's for sure.

  • 6 years ago

    Flowers, give it time. Mine is 3 yrs old and it never had buds like this before . Give it more time :))

  • 6 years ago

    Just gorgeous, Jin! I’m really excited for you and your maturing roses—I have a feeling it’s going to be a bloomiferous Spring for you!! :-)