marilyn_sue

Teaching a Child to Sew on The Sewing Machine

Marilyn_Sue

I have been starting to teach my 8 year old granddaughter to sew on her sewing machine. I gave her one at Christmas and she is keeping it here. So far she has made a couple of fabric gift bags, a pillow cover as she calls it and a big pillow case. Yesterday afternoon she had her first experience of pinning a pattern to the fabric and making sure it was on the straight of the grain and cutting it out. She is making a pair of pajama shorts for her Daddy! She is so excited. I had this fabric on hand and she thought it perfect, light green background with funny monkeys on it. She only sewed one seam as she was getting tired by then. She had a long day. So it will be waiting for her the next time she has time to sew. I have such a big stash of fabric is is good to see it getting used. Have you had experience helping a child learn to sew on the machine and do you have some suggestions?

I do have a low table, has adjustable legs for her machine and she sits on a rolling task chair to sew.

Sue