Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny_pheatt

What is missing?

Ginny Pheatt
4 years ago

I am changing my formal living room into. More usable space for family. What can I put to the right of the fireplace? It seems like it’s missing something.

Bookcase, cabinet . What color or style?

Comments (41)

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

You've shown us little vignettes and corners but not the overall room and furniture. We advise best with all the facts. Is that armoire designed to be in a corner? It looks uncomfortable there. Take pix from the opposite sides of the room and show us all the walls and furnishings. What are the measurements for the walls flanking the FP? Are you planning on drapes with the shutters or not? The mirror above the FP is too small and you have too many "littles" there. I'm thinking art there or above a matched pair of console tables flanking the FP.

Ginny Pheatt thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Andrea Mason
    4 years ago

Hello! First off, if you can, I would purchase a larger mirror. I love that round and I'm not sure what size it is that is currently there, but you want it to go pretty close to your ceiling, try a 36" round. It's pretty common in a room with standard ceiling height.

To the right of the fireplace, maybe put a trunk or bench there for extra seating or storage, or both! Hang artwork above it. I wouldn't do a tall bookcase there or anything unless you want to hang artwork above the chair to the left of the fireplace to visually balance things. Good luck!

• Ginny Pheatt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The armoire ia a corner unit that fits perfectly in that corner. It is housing games and toys for the grandkids.

• Ginny Pheatt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here are more pics of the room. I do agree the mirror needs to be larger

• noreaster10
    4 years ago

Agree on mirror. I also like the round but it is too small. I don’t know what you mean by useable. That little rocking chair doesn’t seem useable. Is it a tv room? A room for games? Chatting? If you define how you most use the room, it would help. It looks there is a game table though it looks stuck in the corner a bit, like that one chair is trapped. Also is that a nesting table? Maybe a nice ottoman would be nice for people to put their feet up? Can’t see if it would fit though.

• Ginny Pheatt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No one ever used the room before. No TV in the room. I wanted a place for grandkids to go, play games an sit and watch their devices. The rocking chair has been with me thru kids and 3 states to rock babies. My husband reads in there - that's about it.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I don't think you have to have something there (unless you have a ton of books you need to shelve)

you could do a tall plant in the corner.

hard to tell w/the photos. can you stand in the doorway and try and shoot the whole room?

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

So now that we know the purpose of the room we can make suggestions that suit the way you'll use it. Seems it is to be the kids area and grandpa's reading room. Does he have a comfy chair in there or does he prefer the sofa? How old are the kids? Floor pillows and a coffee table/game table can work too. Then the adults can play cards or scrabble at the other table and chairs. Here is the basement kids' area at the vacation rental cabin I manage. Maybe foosball would lure them away from their devices.

• ljangell44
    4 years ago

love the wall color!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

I would go with wall art instead the mirror.

Ginny Pheatt thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    User
    4 years ago

You need some life in there! I would add a potted tree in the corner and plants throughout the room.

Ginny Pheatt thanked User
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

I am of the opinion that not every empty space needs to be filled. There is beauty in negative space.

• Ginny Pheatt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would like more color in there too - wall art above the fireplace would be a good place to start. Not sure what kind of art though.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

Stand way BACK. The whole room photo please? No to any mirror. Art...........: )

• Ginny Pheatt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s the best I can do to get the most of the room in

• Juli
    4 years ago

I think art with some complementary colors in it, like salmon or muted tangerine would be beautiful against your lovely wall color instead of the mirror. The mirror just doesn't work there. I think you need lighter, or white, pillows on the sofa and an area rug to minimize your brown carpet.

Ginny Pheatt thanked Juli
  • Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

I think a nice large green plant like a fiddle-leaf fig would be lovely in that corner.

Ginny Pheatt thanked Fun2BHere
  • misecretary
    4 years ago

Your room is lovely. I feel the chair and ottoman are too close to the fireplace. Is there room to move them down? I cannot tell if there is an opening just out of photo range. If not, even swapping places with the side table and adjusting the angle would help the corner look less crowded. Other than that, a couple of plants and you're set.

Ginny Pheatt thanked misecretary
  • Ginny Pheatt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I added some art work on either side of the fireplace. I switched locations of the chair and side table. I brought in some white pillows I had on a bed to see how white would look on the couch. I know I need a larger mirror but what else might I do to get this room completed.

• Dee R
    4 years ago

The room is very nice. My first choice would be to remove the mirror and add a large piece of abstract canvas art centered above the fireplace. I agree with the previous comments of some sort orb art work with muted colors of salmon, tangerine, blue or yellow. I would also add some additional canvas art work on the small wall in various sizes that compliments the focal piece of art centered above the fireplace. Large plant somewhere in the room great idea. Also, some sort of a rug that also compliments the colors of the art work you choose. Pillows added to the sofa and chairs that picks up on colors in the art work u select. Below is a picture of a large piece of canvas art work I have on one wall in my dining room. It compliments my black marble dining room table and the orange walls in the dining room area.
    Dee

Ginny Pheatt thanked Dee R
  • Ginny Pheatt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would abstract art above the fireplace look ok with the scenic prints on either side?

• judiswa
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I havent read all the comments, so forgive me if I am repeating any ideas. My first thought when I saw your FP was that it needed some height on the mantle. I like the idea of a larger mirror as well. Pinterest was a big help to me when I was decorating my mantle and they even had an illustration as a guide.

You have a beautiful home!

• User
    4 years ago

Ginny,

The room looks fine. If you get the chance for a nice colorful work of art over the FP, then remove the other art next to the fireplace. Look for a colorful big piece of art, then you will feel like the room is finished.

Ginny Pheatt thanked User
  • csevene
    4 years ago

Ginny Pheatt can you share what app you use to add items in rooms as you did here?

• Ginny Pheatt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I actually hung the pictures - no app.

• Susan Davis
    4 years ago

I noticed your idea book had a picture of the English designer, Ben Pentreath. If you like the country english look, he has many ideas in his design books, that might inspire you......are you doing new furniture or adding fill in pieces?

Possiby the ottoman for a cocktial type table in front of the sofa, a sizable chair for the corner on other side of fireplace in a fun print to liven up the room, rocking chair on other end of room on sofa corner? Pretty chandelier over table, possibly bookshelves in corner behind game table or either side of fireplace.....online colorful geometric print stretchy slip covers for game table chairs. large art over fireplace to dictate or complement colors in room.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I'm late here, but I would like experiment with more of the pretty wall color, in pillows, etc... dark furniture pieces seem to weigh down. [I notice you like and repeat the tan of carpeting.]

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Maybe a casual look?

Ruffle Square Pillow CW-050 - 18" x 18" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/ruffle-square-pillow-cw-050-18-x-18-prvw-vr~19518771

Ginny Pheatt thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    4 years ago

It looks metallic but they call it 'natural fiber' --

Painting Wframe oil On Canvas, Green Natural Fiber 32"x1"x32" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/painting-wframe-oil-on-canvas-green-natural-fiber-32x1x32-prvw-vr~149549766

Ginny Pheatt thanked everdebz
  • Ginny Pheatt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

great ideas with little effort. I'm on the hunt for a big art piece and pillows.

• phillipscj5
    4 years ago

I would move the large couch. put your chair and a half in the corner angled by the fireplace and either slide the light behind it or move the mirror above it and find some larger(taller) decor to go over the fireplace to add more height there. then find curtains for the side of the window and leave the armour in the corner. its ok to not put a couch against a wall. maybe have it face the fireplace for more converaatuon

Ginny Pheatt thanked phillipscj5
  • Hansen
    4 years ago

you have done an excellent job. I would just use a rectangular mirror with a white wooden frame to match fireplace and some plants.

Ginny Pheatt thanked Hansen
  • Velvet McNeil
    4 years ago

Love this room. I’m in agreement with a big plant.

Ginny Pheatt thanked Velvet McNeil
  • lmb1986a
    4 years ago

It appears you are trying to fill in space with smaller items on each size of the mirror. Try adding single bigger pieces....and then add smaller if necessary.

Ginny Pheatt thanked lmb1986a
  • ladytulip
    4 years ago

Try moving the furniture as phillipscj5 advised. Then you’ll have a good view of fireplace and outside too.l believe you need more texture in your room. How about a big basket above fireplace and or big clock and move your small one. Greenery is always a good idea. Good luck, you’ve started with good ideas.

Ginny Pheatt thanked ladytulip
  • julia patchin
    4 years ago

I would add some plants . Fiddle leaf fig in corner. Maybe succulent in gold textured bowl/ pot on mantle...

Ginny Pheatt thanked julia patchin
  • suezbell
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Pleasant room. There's a short wall behind your game table for your smaller round mirror if you replace it with art or a larger mirror.

Anything you put in the "empty" corner will likely seem small compared to the heavy cabinet in the other corner.

You might consider modern corner wall hung shelving with the same shade of wood as your cabinet

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vertical-Zig-Zag-Corner-Wall-Shelf-Unit-Mid-Century-Modern-5-Shelves-Display-/303157788805

Perhaps with laminated and framed boards from old board games you no longer use or find at a thrift store hung around it. A heavier chair in front of it might also be worth trying.

• Ginny Pheatt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great idea about moving the mirror near the game table.

• mariegold
    4 years ago

Your room is lovely and cosy. Your flooring has warm tones your wall cooler. Blending in the floor color thru pillows, lamp shades, vases and such will tie it all together a bit more.

• Ginny Pheatt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes I need to start on the smaller details. Thank you.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022