FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

happyohiogardener

February FOTESS Activity - Herbs and Spice and Everything Nice

First I'll state the rules. You must be a member of this group Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps (FOTESS) in order to participate. If you are interested in joining, check with Jeanne (sandlapper_rose) at https://www.gardenweb.com/user/sandlapper-rose about the requirements.

Now for the fun. This February's FOTESS Activity will focus on herbs and spices. We will share friendly conversation, tips and recipes, participate in some fun games for prizes, and send a simple package to our partner that contains the following:

1) A card - purchased or home made

2) Two packs of herbs from wish list posted by each participant during sign ups

3) One small pack of your favorite spice or spice blend along with a recipe that uses that spice

4) Something nice that you think your partner would enjoy. The possibilities are endless - plant markers, kitchen towels, gardening gloves, herbal teas, garden decor, markers, journals, etc.

All items should fit in a large padded envelope to keep the mailing costs low, and please mail with tracking and private message your partner with the tracking number. In order to respect everyone's privacy, please do not list tracking numbers on the thread. Remember to also post a message on the thread when you have mailed and when you receive your package.

To sign up, just respond below and provide a wish list of 5 herbs you have been wanting to grow.

If you aren't able to participate in the swap, as long as you are a member, you are welcome to join us for conversation and games.

This activity will be alot of fun and I look forward to hosting. Hope you can join us! Conversation is encouraged!

Susan Nieves

Happy Ohio Gardener

• jdmom78_8a

thanks annie. i loved the word scramble. ooooh im excited about my package. thanks for the reminder, i need to get mine together too! jayeanne, love the lettuce and kale. i wish i would have started my garden already this year. we also have a lot of rain.... maybe i will start some seeds TODAY! maybe...

Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener thanked jdmom78_8a
  • Melinda Hagen

Bonus word infusion

Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener thanked Melinda Hagen

OLLD 8/6

Ms Roo -- sometimes there are strange North American sayings that I don't understand either, especially as I get older. Urban Dictionary has been my friend more times than I care to admit! Zenhome -- no worries, we figured it was on the wrong thread. Forgive us, we love to joke about 'that paint color..." lol

Most Disappointing Home Gadget

Love magic Opener very much, at first, is tricky to know and use all it's functions properly but after understanding it better and using it several times, became a top helper to open all our pull tab food cans, small and large soda plastic bottles, aluminum beer and soda cans, water bottles, regular beer glass bottle, among other functions. We have it on top of our best gadgets list, and we use it as occasional special gifts as well. It is a very unique gadget. Easy to see it on Amazon.com as The Extreme magic Opener or at http://www.magicOpener.com J Design Group, Top Miami Interior Designers - Modern - Contemporary Interior Design Firm in Miami, Florida - Top Decorators - http://www.JDesignGroup.com

Help With Steep Ceiling

I thought I would follow up on this, in case someone else googles a similar problem with steep ceilings or walls, due to an attic roof line. This is what we did. We turned the bed against the wall, so she'd have the center of the room free. We lined both knee walls with three of the one-cube-wide IKEA Kallax bookcases on their sides, with drawers. They couldn't have been a better fit if they were custom made, and this gave her twelve spacious drawers. She is young and limber enough for these not to be a challenge. This left the center of the room free, allowing us to put an arm chair and small side table (not shown) under the deep skylight/vent window. The window is deep enough to allow her enough room to stand up easily. They aren't hung yet, but for the teensy tiny kitchen, we followed Bev's advice above, and bought four long narrow book ledges from the IKEA children's department. Each will hold a good bit of weight, so that will give her a five inch deep "pantry" to store spice jars, mugs, and canned goods, without butting into the walking space. They should be hung by the end of the week, thanks to a very gracious friend who knows how to drill into European walls. (I tried, no joy there). BTW, I did cook a couple of simple meals while I was there, and the kitchen counter, while awkward with that steep ceiling, is certainly useable. And to her utter happiness, we discovered the stove was new and completely unused, and had a nice (and effective) range hood, which is unbelievable for a rental in this price range. The foyer was large enough to put a butcher block cart she can chop food on, a European upright fridge, and an IKEA Pendel clock/bookcase which serendipitously angled to fit perfectly between all the light switches without covering a single one. That gives her four or five more small pantry shelves. The living room is bright and spacious, and those three built-in double wardrobes swallowed more than I ever would have believed. They were like Tardis closets, lol. We lined a wall with glass doored bookcases (tricked out with classy marble handles I'd brought over from Anthro), a glass plant cabinet, and because there was no way we two could manhandle a sofa up stairs, she opted for a pair of wing chairs and a footstool instead. She also got a really nice modern looking drop-front desk, with one of those clear IKEA Tobias chairs to keep it light. All in all, she got a really chic looking place for a very affordable price. I may have blistered thumbs as I type this, and be cursing the two trips to the recycling center full of IKEA cardboard, but IKEA was just the ticket for this project. She's happy, I'm happy she's happy, so as the Germans say, alles gut!

Critique my kitchen/dining room layout!

Claire Larece That section of the house is a project for another time. The wall between the original cottage and the 20'x20' addition was knocked out in the name of "open concept" somewhere 20-25 years ago, because the previous owners (not the previous-previous owners who built the addition) were deeply stupid. The previous-previous owners, on the other hand, didn't bother doing anything with the lumpy natural-stone chimney and just built around it, leading to perpetual roof leaks. o_O Eventual floorplan will look something like this, with the chimney demolished and replaced with a pipe flue and the original entry repurposed back to a foyer again.
  • brittneysgran

Jayeanne such a beautiful garden....we are going to have to invest in a boat if we get much more rain.

Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener thanked brittneysgran
  • Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Congratulations Jayeanne, you were the first person to post a comment after I posted the Bonus bingo word yesterday. You win a prize. Your lettuce is growing beautifully, and that's a lot of rain.

Today's bingo word: Peppermint

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

I would like to invite everyone to share their favorite herbal tea recipe and talk a little about what you like most about it. Each recipe posted will earn you 5 points.

I'll share one of my favorites to get us started. It's an echinacea tea blend that I enjoy for treating colds. I find it particularly useful during this season and it really works well for me and my family. I enjoy the taste as well, much better than some of those commercial liquid cold teas I have tried. I found the recipe in the Practical Herbal Medicine Handbook which has lots of great information and recipes. It's one of my favorite reference books for natural healing.

Keep in mind it is not advised to use Echinacea for more than 3 consecutive weeks. Now, for my disclaimer...the information shared in this forum is in no way intended as or to replace medical advise, it is for informational purposes only.

Echinacea Cold Care Tea

Makes 35 doses

2 ounces dried chopped echinacea root

1 ounce dried hyssop

1 ounce dried peppermint

1 ounce dried thyme

2 cups water per dose

Honey, stevia or your favorite sweetener

1. Combine echinacea, hyssop, peppermint and thyme in an air tight container. Store in a cool dark place.

2. To prepare a single serving of this tea, add 2 tablespoons of the dried mixture to 2 cups of boiling water. Remove from heat and allow to steep for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain and add your sweetener.

3. Drink this tea three times a day until your symptoms subside.

• Melinda Hagen

I need that tea now! Been going to get package ready, but not going anywhere this week. Have horrible upper respiratory infection. Had my first great granddaughter on the 7th and not been able to go and hold her yet! But should be able to be out by Saturday I hope! Then can get package finished and ready to mail! Hope everyone has great day!

• Melinda Hagen

Here she is- Miss Rylie Jane. Can't wait to get well enough to hold her!!

• jdmom78_8a

omg melinda. congrats. what a cutie. hope you get well soon. everyone at our house just went through this cough and cold. it lasted forever.

i usually buy ready made tea. echinacea tea bags are my go to, hands down. with honey of course!

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska

I love the IDEA of herbs and spices. Since the kitchen isn't my favorite place I don't have much skill. I do appreciate herbs and spices when someone else tells me what to do. I have an niece who went to chef school and she taught us, "Add a pinch of cumin." Cumin has come in handy in other ways. That's how I got my dog to quit digging holes. It took more than a pinch, but it was inexpensive and didn't involve chemicals. I want to grow rosemary and learn to cook with it.

Sorry I haven't been around much. It's been crazy. Different day, same song and dance. We had the high school counselors come and talk to 50+ parents of ninth graders here at the plant. A university 50 miles away offers 12 full-ride scholarships to 9th graders. Imagine being in 9th grade and knowing your college is paid for?! It was a success getting information to parents. Corporate is working on a plan for loads of product that may be damaged (like boxes damaged) or rejected (the store says they didn't order it and won't take it). The driver needs to get rid of the load of meat and get back on the road. So in 2020 our town will be one of the places they can bring that load of meat. Imagine a semi full of chicken breasts or beef. We have a local food pantry, 3 churches that give out food, and a senior center with freezer space. I've been working on this for a year so that's exciting. Of course the census is coming up so I'm doing education to our employees. Lots of learning.

Closest thing I have to a grandbaby is a grandcat...but that's okay. College first, then a job, then the right guy...then grandbabies! Emmy likes the laundry basket, especially if they are just out of the dryer but she's not picky. Love your theme, Susan. Heidi

Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener thanked xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
  • canyonwind

Urooj, your herbs and spice and everything nice package is on its way...mailed a few hours ago.

Happy day!!

Annie

Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener thanked canyonwind
  • brittneysgran

Melinda Rylie Jane is so beautiful and I love her name. Hope you get to love on her soon,

• pinkiris

Shirley ... just checked on your 'herbs and spice and everything nice package' and it says

Delivered

February 12, 2020 at 11:29 am

Delivered, In/At Mailbox

Hope all is OK.

Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener thanked pinkiris
  • Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Melinda, Rylie Jane is gorgeous, congratulations, such a blessing!!! I hope you are feeling all better soon.

Urooj, I have been thinking about buying the commercial echinacea tea instead of buying the dried root and making my own recipe, but I don;t know if it will be as potent. I know that herbs and spices have a shelf life of 12 months usually. It's good to hear that the ready made kind work well for you. I'll give them a try.

Heidi, thanks for stopping in and sharing, so good to hear from you. I love your kitten!!! I am allergic so I have a little chihuahua who thinks he is human and he does the same thing climbing into the laundry basket. He is on the bigger side at 20 lbs. They are so precious and comical. You have been very busy doing great things for your community.

Heidi, you beat me to the punch regarding the unconventional use of herbs! That was going to be my next question for 5 points for each posting, so I am going to award you the points for your tip about cumin. I never knew it would prevent dogs from digging holes. Thanks for sharing!

Today's discussion for 5 points per posting will be the unconventional use of herbs. Please share your experiences and knowledge with us.

Before I forget, today's bingo word is:

Butterflies

Gotta run now... Wishing everyone a Happy Valentine's Day!

• Melinda Hagen

Thanks to all who wished me happy birthdsy! Also big thanks to Jeanne and Jayeanne for the lovely birthday cards and seeds! Loved them both and cheered me up since been so sick this week! I am not where want to be, but maybe seeing light at end of tunnel! Thanks also for compliments on Rylie Jane! I missed her birth and haven't got to hold her yet, but getting better some. Won't be long now, but had few tears shed over it! But can't be helped! Have great day all!

• Melinda Hagen

My fav in the herbal tea is one I drink daily. It is cinnamon tea! So easy and helps many things ( even though I am sick!)

1 to 2 teaspoons of regular cinnamon

Pour cup boiling water over and stir thoroughly.

Sweeten with honey as desired.

You get benefits of honey and cinnamon. Helps benefits of aging, lowers cholesterol, increases immune system, plus many other things! I believe it has helped me alot,

as have couple of autoimmune problems. My flare-ups aren't as often and don't last as long as they used to!

Honey needs to be natural and not just any you can get at store. Helps allergies as well.

I had 3 young grandsons and a granddaughter who used to spend weeks and weekends with me. As always lived in country they were always going to pond and playing in fields. Always had bug bites and poison ivy or oak. I take plantain leaves, the weed that grows most everywhere.. Mash them up really well until almost juicy paste like. Rubbed this on the bad spots and heals faster and quit itching and hurting as bad.

But to help prevent chiggers and ticks I sprinkle flowers of sulphur powder on ankles, wrists, waist, anywhere they like to accumulate! It is yellow powder and bought in pharmacy at grocery stores, walmart,etc.. Works wonders!! I had gone BlackBerry picking years ago and forgot to put anything on. Had chiggers so bad went to dr. He was one who told me about this. Have used it over 20 years. Last time picked berries I had one chiggers bite. Amazing how well it works. Haven't bought any in couple years as now live in town and still have some. Just put it in sprinkle bottke( used old spice bottle that washed up).and sprinkle where you need it!

Hope these help someone!

• sandlapper_rose

Great information! from everyone!

I don't make herbal tea, but I do enjoy herbs in the garden and in cooking and I love to add mint to my regular iced tea and I add honey to hot tea.

I wanted to comment on plantain. Not a bit growing around here. I remember seeing it when I lived in upstate New York. I bought some plantain seeds for this year and am going to see if I have any luck growing them. A few years ago at a garden jamboree there was an herbalist who had various products and I think what I bought was called a "tincture" of plantain. Just a drop on a painful bug bite and it gets almost completely better. Really helps on those that itch like crazy. I bought some plantain tea at one point also - not sure what it was supposed to help. Recently I bought a throat comfort tea and it helps me when I have a sore throat. It has lots of different ingredients - among them wild cherry bark, licorice root, cinnamon bark, fennel, orange peel, slippery elm bark, cardamom, ginger, clove and black pepper.

Melinda, I will have to look for sulphur powder. I didn't know about that. Ticks love me! I have even gotten ticks on me when I walk in the yard in the middle of the winter.

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener thanked sandlapper_rose
  • Melinda Hagen

Yes, the plantain works great on kids and adults, no chemicals! And they thought it was funny I put plant juice on them! Lol! Yes, flowers of sulfur powder is a miracle as far as I am concerned! Never without it when work or play outside!

• brittneysgran

Jayeanne taking care of a sick husband among other things and got behind. Will post my awesome box now. Thank you so much for the exciting items you sent.

Maple bourbon brussels sprouts glaze (Can't wait to try this)

Seeds: Thai Basil, English Thyme, Early Butternut Squash

Recipe: Kale & Brussels Sprouts Salad with Butternut Squash, Pomegranate and Candied Pecans

Card

Oven Mitt

The recipe sounds scrumptious, now to try it (Yum)

• canyonwind

Melinda....Happy, Happy Birthday. Enjoy your very special day!!!

I am not a huge tea drinker but I do make this tea once in a while. There is something about Rosemary that "turns me on"....it is strong but very soothing. I have it growing all over my yard....never have to buy it....it is a wonderful perennial here in Southern California. It is flowering right now....love it. I love to cut large amounts and put in a vase...so pretty and the scent is heavenly to me. I cook with it all the time....simple wonderful!!

• 4 cups boiling water
    • 6 bags chamomile tea
    • 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
    • 4 slices lemon
    • 2-4 teaspoons honey
    • 2 sprigs rosemary, lightly bruised

Stir boiling water, tea bags, ginger, lemon, honey and rosemary together in large heatproof bowl. Steep, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Strain the liquid through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing on the tea bags to get as much liquid out as possible.

Happy Weekend.....hope your Valentines Day was full of LOVE!!

Annie

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

:

Happy birthday Melinda, make it a great one! I hope you are better and able to hold your dear baby girl soon.

Lots of great herbal recipes and conversation being exchanged. Great tips and recipes, and I know we are learning a lot from one another.

Jayeanne, very nice package you sent to Shirley.

Shirley, I hope your husband is feeling better soon.

I hope everyone had a lovely Valentine's Day. Mine was low key at home. My husband made me a nice surf and turf dinner with steak, shrimp and lobster tail. And on top of that he got me some tulips in bloom, a yummy assortment chocolates, and a nice variety of gardening tools. I won't have any excuses for not getting out in the garden now no matter the elements. He got me a new rain poncho, a light that straps onto your forehead (for nighttime gardening) a new shovel (mine broke recently), and my very own pruning saw (I think he's trying to pass along some of his chores with this one lol). What a thoughtful guy!

I have to work today but will be back this evening with bingo words and more herbal recipes and information.

• sandlapper_rose

Jayeanne, your package is at what I call the local "post office store". I don't know if it will make it out of Columbia today but with no delivery on Monday, you won't see it before Tuesday or Wednesday at the soonest I would think.

Everyone have a good weekend!

• jdmom78_8a

hey everyone. hope you're having a great saturday. took the girls swimming and then we went to grab some groceries on the way home.

i went to home depot yesterday and was only able to find 1 herb on your list susan. i don't know what to do as i seem to be running out of time. i've grabbed a few things to send to you else wise, i'm just trying to see where i can get your requested seeds. don't anticipate sending your package out until some time next week!

happy birthday Melinda. hope you got to see the grand baby this weekend.

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Hi Urooj, sorry to send you on a wild goose chase. I didn't realize my items would be so hard to find. Most of the items on my list are available at Pinetree Gardens at www.superseeds.com.

• jdmom78_8a

no worries susan! im sure they are not too hard to find considering home depot has a limited variety. but thank you for the "hint" lol. i will be heading there shortly...

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Thanks to everyone for posting their favorite tea recipes and alternative uses for herbs and spices. I enjoyed reading all about them and will try them out myself. I will tally up the points soon for prizes.

Annie, you made me smile just thinking about rosemary growing all over your yard. I too love the scent of rosemary and like to use it in cooking. I haven't been able to grow it well from seed and it's an annual here in my area. I have heard some people say they root stems from rosemary purchased at the grocery store. I think I will have to experiment with that this year.

Today''s Bingo word is:

Cilantro

Wishing everyone a good evening and a happy Sunday.

• pinkiris

Shirley ... glad you got it OK, hope your DH gets feeling better soon! Im so behind here I wonder if I will ever catch up...

Jeanne ... thanks for letting me know ... will let you know when it gets here.

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Happy Sunday!

There's still time to participate in posting your favorite herbal tea or unconventional use of herbs and spices tips for 5 points for each posting.

Bingo word for today:

Borage

• sandlapper_rose

This hint is one I read about a lot so you may have heard it. If you’re having trouble sleeping, lavender can help you relax and send you off to dreamland. Place a small pouch of dried leaves on your pillow so you can inhale it easily, or if you have lavender oil, add a few drops directly onto your pillowcase. I suspect a bar of lavender scented soap or using lavender scented detergent and dryer sheets on your bed linens might help a bit as well --- or place some lavender in your linen closet where you store your bed linens so they already carry the scent of lavender.

• jdmom78_8a

glad theres still time to post alternative uses for herbs.

so whenever we had a cough, my motherinlaw would put some turmeric on spoonful of honey and make us (me and the grandkids) drink it. it doesnt taste too good but it works well as turmeric is anti-inflammatory. we use turmeric in almost all pakistani cooking. girls even use it on their face to remove blemishes. big trend right now with tons of videos on youtube!

• Melinda Hagen

Thanks all for birthday wishes! Got out for first time yesterday but still tired and have g few issues! But not going to see baby until completely sinus free! Hopefully this week! Dying to get a hold of her! Hope everyone has great Sunday!

• Melinda Hagen

Forgot to thank Mandy, Annie, and Margo for the great birthday cards and seeds! You sure know how to cheer me up! Thank you so much!!

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Bonus Bingo word:

Marshmallow

• pinkiris

alternative uses for herbs ...

I enjoy growing chamomile and lavender for drying purposes and then using those for adding to a warm bath .... so relaxing!

• jdmom78_8a

Susan good news... i ordered an herb you really wanted and had it sent you directly so you should look out for that... now that means your package is complete and should be going tomorrows mail. wooohooooo!!

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Jeanne, Urooj and Jayeanne, thank you for posting more alternative uses for herbs. These are all great suggestions! You all are awarded another 5 points each. And Jayeanne, you get an additional prize for being the first person to post after the bonus bingo word.

Urooj, my husband takes tumeric for his arthritis pain and it is miraculous. He move around better now than he did ten years ago. I didn't know it was good for blemishes, good to know. Thanks for letting me know about the package. I will be on the lookout for both.

Jeanne, your package will be going out by the end of the week. I am awaiting an item that will be arriving soon.

Bingo word for today:

Oregano

Stay tuned, I will be posting more recipes and topics for discussion to earn more points!

Have a good night everyone!

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Good morning, hope everyone has a great day!

Today's Bingo Word:

Herbal Tea

Speaking of Herbal Tea, I wanted to share some more recipes with you. This Calendula Tea is from The Herbal Medicine Handbook, and is supposed to be good to soothe pain and burning and reduce inflammation for those suffering from ulcers. This is due to Calendula's antibacterial qualities. My husband suffers from GERD and I am going to try this with him since he has suffered from ulcers in the past.

Calendula Tea

1 tbsp. dried or 2 tbsp. fresh Calendula flowers

2 cups of water

Honey, stevia or your favorite sweetener - to taste

1) Combine Calendula and water in a saucepan. Bring to boil then simmer for 10 minutes.

2) Strain, add sweetener of your choice, and enjoy!

3) Take this tea three times a day for up to three weeks for best results.

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

For those of us that suffer from insomnia, (I don't know about you but menopause has done a number on me) this herbal tea blend recipe promises to carry you off to dreamland.

Sweet Dreams Herbal Tea (makes 96 servings)

1 cup dried chamomile flowers

1 cup dried passionflower

1 cup dried lemon balm

1 cup dried chopped valerian root

1) Mix all ingredients and store in an airtight container in a dark, cool place.

2) For each serving, boil 1 cup of water, turn off heat, add 2 teaspoons of dried herb

mixture and allow to steep for 15 to 20 minutes.

3) Strain and add your favorite sweetener.

4) Drink one hour before bedtime

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

I would like to learn more about your favorite herbs and what you use them for. I am going to be experimenting with making more of my own natural salves this year. I have made a plantain salve and it really works wonders. I am going to make calendula salves this year, and might try a couple of others.

For 5 points per recipe posted, please share your experiences with herbs and spices you use in special recipes for whatever you prepare. It can be culinary, medicinal, whatever you choose to share as long as it is a true recipe with quantities and instructions like the herbal tea recipes I listed above.

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Today's BONUS bingo word:

Chamomile

• pinkiris

LOVE chamomile!

• sandlapper_rose

I hesitate to call this a recipe, but I love grilled cheese sandwiches with sliced tomatoes and a sprinkling of oregano. I just assemble everything into a sandwich along with the cheese and then grill the bread on both sides with some butter in a frying pan.

• jdmom78_8a

I might have to try this grilled cheese recipe sandlapper...

signed on today because i wanted to garden and went out to look at my vegetable bed filled with weeds and mint. how can i get rid of it all at once and quickly? rake it out or put weed barrier on it to suffocate it? any ideas? i wanted to get my morning glories planted now so that they are flowering well before pollination time!

• canyonwind

Urooj, I don't know what to tell you about getting rid of MINT I love having mint around but I only plant in pots as it so invasive. I would not rake it because every little mint root will turn into another plant and go nuts. I have read where people will put lots of newspaper down over the mint/weeds to suffocate. I have tried with weeds successfully but have not tried with mint.

And a recipe.....

Calendula Herbal Oil

I use this for my fried out, dried out Southern California skin, as a moisturizer But it can be used for minor cuts, sores, rashes etc....As well, I only make this during the very hot Summer.

*dried calendula petals

*olive oil (but you could use coconut oil or sweet almond oi)

NOTE....1 part dried petals to 4 parts oil

*clean jar with lid (I use a small canning jar)

*cheesecloth

Put dried petals in jar. Cover with oil. Make sure petals are totally covered with oil. I put covered jar in metal stockpot and cover with pot lid. I put outside in the hottest area I can find and let it stew for a couple of weeks. I then strain with cheesecloth a few times and return to a clean jar and cover with a clean lid.

Another recipe....

Vicks Breathe It In....if you are congested, your stuffed up.....very nice

*several leaves/stem cuttings from a Vicks plant (Vicks is considered a succulent by many but I treat it as an herb in this case)

*cuttings of Rosemary

*pot of water (4 qts)

Throw Vicks and Rosemary in to pot of water....bring to a boil.....turn heat off and cover. Let stew for 10 minutes. Put you face over the steaming pot and cover your head with a towel. Do this as tolerated. This opens me up and smells wonderful.

Happy Tuesday!!

Annie

*

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Another Jayeanne win for the bingo bonus word today!

Jeanne, I love the grilled cheese recipe and since it uses oregano let’s include it for points! I have never added oregano but have had grilled cheese with tomatoes. This recipe sounds yummy and I will give it a try soon.

Urooj, I also love mint and frequently donate the volunteer plants to our local park for their plant sale. I have spearmint and chocolate peppermint. They both spread like crazy. I think I will dig them up in spring and put them in pots so they don’t have a chance to send out so many runners. I have always heard that works well. Newspaper does choke out weeds and would probably work for mint but I’m. not sure. It’s very hardy. Good luck getting it controlled.

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Annie great information and recipes. Thanks for sharing! I am tallying up points as we go and will post at the end. Prizes will go out by the end of February.

Have a great rest of your day everyone

• jdmom78_8a

omg just got the best package from annie with tons of goooodies!

olive oil infused with basil. i am going to use this tonight when i make my zuccini noodles!

plant markers, gardening gloves, tons of seeds that i wanted...

a great recipe for taco soup with seasoning! we love tacos here and we also love soup. the package was spot on.

thank you Annie!

p.s. susan your package is in the mail and should arrive friday!

• sandlapper_rose

I'm so jealous of those with mint growing everywhere! I have a hard time keeping it alive. It seems I buy some every few years. I've tried many varieties - peppermint, spearmint, orange mint, chocolate mint.

I'm thinking about having a plant and cutting swap when I host again (I think it's May) so someone can feel free to send some of that aggressive mint my way then! We must have the worse soil and growing conditions. I've even had horse's tail - which is supposed to be really invasive - and it stayed put and then died after a few years.

As for a way to possibly get rid of mint (other than sending it to me), you could try either several layers of newspaper or even cardboard to keep it from getting any sun. Those are supposed to be ways to stop vegetation from growing.

More and more rain here. When it rains this much we get a bit of a pond. The pond has now washed over the path to the barn (no horses down there now) and I have no idea what I'm going to do about it. We used to be able to drive down there, but I suspect too much of the solid ground has washed away. You couldn't even walk down there now without some sort of tall rain boots. I guess I'll have to hire someone to look into all this, but not in the middle of rain storm after rain storm. I've even placed my winter sowing jugs in the garage. Hot and cold temperatures they can handle, but they are not too fond of being underwater.

I hope no one in our group has the sort of flooding that has been on the news. Not good here, but nothing like those floods.

• pinkiris

Jeanne ... THANK YOU ever so much for the fantastic 'Herbs and Spice and Everything Nice' .... a beautiful handmade notecard and sweet note... you are so talented Jeanne ... love your cards.

absolutely LOVE the lavender/parsley/dill kitchen towel - have fresh lavender inside right now from my plant outside (will try and remember to get a pic just about in full bloom) ... and the HERBS! and 2 plant markers... OH MY ... my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE .... LAVENDER! ... and not just ANY lavender! lavandula spica rosea 'Pink Perfume' and laveandula angustifolium 'Ellegance Ice' ... we are in up to our boots and then some... here with all the rains ... so I plan to sow these after this round of storms pass. so excited to try these! I sure hope I can get these to grow! will keep you updated ...LOL thank you very much! and the most delicious sounding 'Beef Stew' recipe (one of Jeannes favorites) ... with her very own home grown bay leaves! this is very special Jeanne ... reminds me of my dear friend (she absolutely loved gardening - learned many things from her) of many years used to send me her home grown bay leaves every year until she had unexpectedly passed miss her quite often ... this was very nice Jeanne, brings back many good memories ... I will most certainly use them in the recipe you sent, excited to try this and will add your recipe to my own collection of recipes throughout the years. thanks so much Jeanne for everything ... very much appreciated.

• Susan Nieves - Happy Ohio Gardener

Happy Wednesday!

Lot's of amazing packages are being exchanged, very nice!

Today's Bingo word:

Spices

Enjoy your day!

• Melinda Hagen

My package went to Annie yesterday! Have great day all!